Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you taking your training too lightly? page

iniQuity is offline Senior Member

Are you taking your training too lightly?

Shop Now
    I sure was.

I had my first sprint workout this morning after months of not sprinting (bad Grok!) and I feel my brain is still racing.

- After finishing my sprint, and after reading Ross Emanait’s “Ultimate training for the Ultimate Warrior” (PDF linkage --> http://bestfatburners.net/Fitness/Ro...%20Warrior.pdf) It became even MORE apparent that I’ve been taking it quite easy on myself training wise. I have gotten quite good at things that I do constantly, pull ups, dips, push ups, etc, but have severely neglected/ignored other areas such as conditioning, endurance, stamina, etc. This weekend I’m constructing a sandbag (instructions in PDF) and going to try to ramp up my activity a bit. I won’t add more training days but just up the INTENSITY of my training, which brings me to my last point for today,

- Speaking for myself here, instead of focusing on fat loss/muscle building, I’m going to shift my focus on simply becoming a better athlete, a more well rounded human animal. I want to up everything, strength, endurance, skill, I want to jump higher, run longer/faster, carry things with more ease, master my bodyweight and also be ready and able to handle external loads, etc. I believe that preoccupying myself more with how I’m progressing in those areas will bring about the “final” changes in body composition that I’m after. I already have a bit of a six pack, I already have a “cut” upper body (minus the pudge) but so what? I’m not trying to be a fitness model, I’d much rather become a force. Instead of thinking “hmm should I cut out dairy to get a six pack? Are white potatoes really holding me back? Should I go ZC, VLC, KTD?” I’m going to instead say “am I dominating this 50lb sandbag or is it dominating me? Can I take this handstand and walk? Is this distance too intimidating for me to jump or can I trust my legs and conquer it?”

It doesn’t even have to be so “hard core” other seemingly milder examples could include “can I participate in this pick up soccer game or am I going to crap out after 20 mins?” (right now, I would)

So, just some food for thought. I know we’re all different, but while I have been working at my strength and skills in certain areas I do feel like I have missed the forest for the trees and I’m trying to correct that. Maybe it’s that I’m feeling that summer approach and naturally I’m more inclined to be outside, etc, maybe it was just the right time for it. All this “focus not on what you look but on what you can do” has been around for a while especially in the Paleo community, but I suppose I never really took it in, until now.

Ask yourself if what you’re doing is enough, or if it’s just a means to an end (a way to burn calories, burn fat, etc) I’m not here to say there’s anything wrong with that, there really isn’t, but perhaps looking at it from a different perspective can help take your focus away from whether those obliques are showing to whether your obliques are working. If you’ve been working at both the abilities and the look, then you “got it” sooner than I did.

Note: This isn’t to say that I was just working on my looks, but when thinking about ways to cut fat I always thought about diet FIRST because “abs are made in the kitchen” and while I DO believe that, I think I took it to heart too much and while my training was somewhat intense (I like heavy pull ups, etc) it wasn’t WELL ROUNDED. I guess that’s the point I’m hoping to make, take a look at your training, and if you so desire, address the areas where you think you’re lacking, or do what you have not been doing. Your body will respond.

Discuss…
    Last edited by iniQuity; 03-17-2011 at 08:02 AM.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i completely agree. what small shred of vanity in my appearance still exists in me is covered by new goals of what i can accomplish. i was discussing the idea of well rounded fitness with someone just the other day, and came to the conclusion that i don't want to be extremely good at one thing...i'd rather be pretty good at lots of things. and i feel like i've been neglecting that recently...most likely because it's been a cold, hard winter here in new hampshire and going outside some serious balls (which are likely a victim of shrinkage in this weather).
    i've got a pretty good hold on my strength, and i would probably survive an endurance test (i competed in a triathlon this past fall with only three days of training...being primal and playing/lifting helped my endurance a lot) but i think i want to work a lot on balance, speed, explosiveness, etc.
    my thought is to give myself a goal. i might try to find a couple of fitness tests that are used by professionals who need to have as many skills as possible, like the military or firefighters or something. any recommendations.

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Great timing on this post, I have been having a lot of the same thoughts recently. I have been focusing on strength training and neglecting my over all conditioning and athleticism.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I’m not trying to be a fitness model, I’d much rather become a force.
    Amen, brother. A-fucking-men.

PS: This post gave me a serious broner for you.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Hold your broners!

I think it’s also my shitty desk job that makes me feel like unless I get Beastmode a few times a week I’m gonna shrivel up like a raisin. Let's open up a damn gym, primitive fitness all the way. Ropes dangling from ceilings, tires to flip, sledgehammers to bang tires with, scalable platforms, swimming pool, etc… now that there is a dream.

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Hold your broners!

I think it’s also my shitty desk job that makes me feel like unless I get Beastmode a few times a week I’m gonna shrivel up like a raisin. Let's open up a damn gym, primitive fitness all the way. Ropes dangling from ceilings, tires to flip, sledgehammers to bang tires with, scalable platforms, swimming pool, etc… now that there is a dream.
    I would love to see some Movnat style clubs start up.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    Hold your broners!

Can we do it someplace warm so we can keep giant doors/windows open at all times? Getting vitamin D and fresh air WHILE at the gym? Yes, please!

lolov is offline Senior Member
    Hold your broners!

I think its also my shitty desk job that makes me feel like unless I get Beastmode a few times a week Im gonna shrivel up like a raisin. Let's open up a damn gym, primitive fitness all the way. Ropes dangling from ceilings, tires to flip, sledgehammers to bang tires with, scalable platforms, swimming pool, etc now that there is a dream.
    They have it. It's called Crossfit. You just described every crossfit box I've ever seen (except for the pool.)

Dave_o is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the link, that suckers getting printed out.

Ross is the man, I've been following his stuff for ages.

Pulling 495 is no joke.

bob
    bob is offline Member
    +1 on the great post timing, and I, too, totally support your goal.

I finished reading Ross' "Never Gymless" and started one of the sample strength and conditioning routines in the back of the book. Holy crap! The maximal strength workout is the stuff I was doing more or less, but the conditioning drills and explosive strength workout made me realize that I was only working one angle of athleticism and fitness. I am four weeks in, feeling exhausted in the "I am doing something with my body that is making me test my boundaries" kind of way, and feeling great. I can't wait to download the PDF tonight.

Thanks for the link, iniQuity, and post your progress when you get a chance.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast