Thread: Probiotics -school me page

stephenmarklay is offline Senior Member

Probiotics -school me

Primal Fuel
    I have been reading about these and thought since I am very low carb and avoiding things like yogurt right now I would buy a supplement.

So at the supplement store I had not clue what I was looking at and some of the prices were dang high.

Any info would be great!

Thanks

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i take a probiotic called PB8. it usually runs around $20-30 or so per bottle...which really isn't bad when you consider that you don't really need to supplement with a probiotic every day. i'll take it for a little while, then stop, then get back on it, then stop...and i'm not finding that my gut or digestion is going out of whack or anything.

just aim for something with more cultures. try out a couple of different types and see if you're noticing any differences...just don't break the bank buying a supplement

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    I don't bother with them. They tend to be too much for me anyhow. I eat the occasional yoghurt or drink kefir in small amounts but that's more because I like it. Your best bet is in not eating too clean when possible. Can you garden at all? The best source of gut flora comes from fresh, not too clean vegetables and herbs. If you can grow your own just rinse off the dirt and eat them raw. If you can't grow your own try buying them at a farmer's market where they won't be covered in pesticides and bad bacteria. Preferably still with the dirt on them. It's quite frustrating that I won't be able to put in an herb garden for a couple of months yet. I had an herb garden with a good variety as well as assorted lettuces. Every day I would pick an assortment, just rinse, then have a big salad. This helped my guts immensely, although at the time I was drinking raw sheep's milk as well.

Thants good to know. I eat all organic veggies and don't take a huge effort to clean them. More getting the big chunks off. Right now I am just eating greans raw and not a lot of other veggies so it is down too. I may just buy a yogurt and take a few bites of eat over a couple of days too. We have some Greek yogurt in the house so I might take a spoon of that to. We have raw milk in the house for the kids is that useful?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbone View Post
    I don't bother with them. They tend to be too much for me anyhow. I eat the occasional yoghurt or drink kefir in small amounts but that's more because I like it. Your best bet is in not eating too clean when possible. Can you garden at all? The best source of gut flora comes from fresh, not too clean vegetables and herbs. If you can grow your own just rinse off the dirt and eat them raw. If you can't grow your own try buying them at a farmer's market where they won't be covered in pesticides and bad bacteria. Preferably still with the dirt on them. It's quite frustrating that I won't be able to put in an herb garden for a couple of months yet. I had an herb garden with a good variety as well as assorted lettuces. Every day I would pick an assortment, just rinse, then have a big salad. This helped my guts immensely, although at the time I was drinking raw sheep's milk as well.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenmarklay View Post
    We have raw milk in the house for the kids is that useful?
    Absolutely, if you can handle milk. Raw is full of beneficial bacteria that will add to your gut flora as well as helping crowd out the not so beneficial. If you currently have gut issues then you should start off slow, drink a small amount then work up to larger. I had pretty bad dysbiosis, which is gone. I still have issues due to damage from gluten intolerance but overall I'm much better.

Edit: I still have dysbiosis, but the slow moving bowels/constipation is gone. It can take years to completely eliminate.
    Last edited by Blackcatbone; 03-17-2011 at 09:55 AM.

Can you get any benefit from very small amount of substances from this standpoint? For instance if I have a tablespoon of raw milk every day and eat a bit of raw veggies etc will they multiply etc to be useful?

I do no have any digestive issues that are known to me but my low carb diet is more limited than I would like so I started thinking about that.

Dave_o is offline Senior Member
    Here.
    Probiotics: from myth to reality. Demonstration of... [Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek. 1999 Jul-Nov] - PubMed result

But, if as you say, you have no issues with digestion - that should be evidence in itself that everything's working fine.
    Why try and treat a nonexistent ailment?