Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food poisoning and what to eat page

Hilde is offline Member

Food poisoning and what to eat

Primal Fuel
    I just got food poisoning and I'm not sure what I should eat when I start to eat again. Before I started with Primal I would just drink Coke and eat some white bread or something with wheat and sugar. Now I drink water and some apple juice, but I'm not sure what is the best thing to do here. Any advice?

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    Eat normally just nothing spicy and you can't go wrong with water. If you want something starchy get the beauregard yams or the light yellow sweet potato as they are not as sweet as orange fleshed ones.
    Last edited by kitoi; 03-17-2011 at 05:17 AM.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Broths, they will help replace any electrolytes lost.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Ugh. Had it few times, bad. Small amounts of aloe juice, or it can make things run even faster. Fresh ginger tea, scrambled egg, if you can handle it, a bit of banana.

Something that occurred to me, as soon as you are feeling better, try to get as much variety into your diet as possible. Fresh herbs, tomatoes, leafy greens, cruciferous veg, fermented foods. You may have to start slow, but it's probably really important, otherwise it may do a number on your gut flora. Food poisoning, cholera and other infections that cause diarrhea flush out a lot of what's in your guts. Over the last few years it's been discovered that the appendix is actually a reservoir for your gut flora, which is why when it ruptures it can kill you. On the other hand, the occasional bout of food poisoning may actually keep the appendix from getting inflamed. The trick is to keep it busy replacing the flora that was lost. Eating too clean, not enough variety, antibiotics, create an environment where the appendix is underused. Civilization.

Oh, and of course meats and fats.

Hilde is offline Member
    I tried eating some soup yesterday but it didn't go to well, any advice on how long I should wait before I eat again? And is it ok to drink apple juice? I know it's a lot of sugar and don't normally drink it, but I felt kind of dehydrated and I had problems with drinking enough water.

I'd say as soon as you can eat, do. Do you have any coconut flour? You could probably make a hot cereal type dish with it. Or flax seed or almond meal, although the almond might be a bit too heavy just yet.

theone is offline Junior Member
    Eat when your hungry, stop when your satisfied. In the meantime, read a lot of information on this website.

melodious is offline Senior Member
    I recommend some pureed butternut squash soup, some banana, some scrambled eggs.
    Eat sooner rather than later, but start with not a whole bowlful, but a few tablespoons. Start slow.
    I like to make a sort of bread-like substance with coconut flour and eggs (and some oil). It crumbles and flakes, but it's gentle when I'm nauseated.

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    apple juice is usually not a good choice. Sugar usually irritates the GI system and feeds some of the bad guys. If you drink juice dilute it heavily. I get that a little bit sometimes settles my stomach when I can not handle water.

Start slow while nausea and vomiting is still in the game. I think many of the primal suggestions here would be way more than my stomach could take after a bad bout. Maybe the sweet potato. plain. Maybe plain white rice. But dont eat more than a few spoonfuls of anything at one time. Eat tiny amounts frequently. A few bites, wait an hour a few more bites. Same with liquids. A few sips, wait an hour a few more sips. You are not looking to REhydrate as much as slow/stop further dehydration.

Once food poisoning moves to the diarrhea stage then you'll want to look at plain yogurt and other probiotics but you can start to eat fairly normally.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast