Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Food Combining and Separation page 2

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by geekgrrl View Post
    what theory? It's not a monolithic theory, - maybe you're talking about some trendy diet thing from ages ago, I don't know - I'm talking about what we know right now about how foods interact. Have you got some research to share?
    I am talking about the diet theory of Dr. William Howard Hay started in 1911, which basically states that one can not digest two different protein sources at the same time (i.e., eggs+bacon) or any fat source (oil, butter, etc) combine with a protein source, etc, etc, because the body will not be able secret enzymes needed to digest them sufficiently when combined, etc, etc,. This is just one view within "food combining" realm which basically is the idea that certain foods combine with each offers either a negative or positive impact (I don't deny this by the way).
    Last edited by Zed; 03-17-2011 at 04:14 PM.

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geekgrrl View Post
    I'm not only asking about blueberries and antioxidants, but foods generally.
    Fine. Antioxidants is all you mentioned in the OP. Personally I think that's a non-issue. I'd be interested if anyone else had some thoughts on the subject.

And tea is not paleo
    O RLY? Off the cuff I would say more people around here cut dairy (potentially relevant to the blueberry topic) than give up tea (or even coffee).

If you don't want to bother about it, that's fine. I'm interested and like to know about these things, that's why I'm asking.
    Take a chill pill. Starting a thread doesn't make a person the absolute dictator of what other people post in it. Conversations evolve, too.
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    There are causes of oxidative stress above and beyond what you put in your mouth. Off the top of my head pollution and radiation (anyone from japan?) are other factors. Pesticides, fungicides, food additives, etc. can also contribute. Not caring about providing antioxidants to combat oxidative damage should only be done if youre living on a remote island.

@Beachrat, what people on the forum limit or don't really doesn't affect what traditional people drank. That said, while actual tea probably hasn't been consumed by any traditional groups, herbal teas will certainly have been prepared by seeping plants and roots etc in water, as such beverages can be beneficial when fighting disease. Imo actual tea should just be treated the same as any other herb.
    Last edited by Pandadude; 03-18-2011 at 08:23 AM.

kurite is offline Senior Member
    I was a fruitarian for some time and I can confirm that food combining is important on that type of a diet. To this day if I eat a piece of fruit and then chow down on some steak or any meat for that matter, my stomach will hurt a lot.

Suzan is offline Senior Member
    I did food combining back in the 80's while on Fit For Life diet. Did nothing for me except trash my immune system. So much for retaining antioxidants while separating/combining.

afaqanjum28 is offline Member

re:

If you look into in, fruit and vegetables actually contain protein, obviously not nearly as much as a slab of beef, but they still contain trace/small amounts. Things like nuts/dairy etc are a mixture of all 3 macronutrients. Technically if we couldn't digest certain macronutrients with others,

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    The psudoscience in this threat amazes me. It's like looking on a bodybuilding forum and seeing guys telling other guys to eat every 2 hours to keep metabolism up or other nonsense. The study clearly shows that those who drank milk with their blueberries didn't receive the antioxidant benefits. This isn't debetable with arguments such as "well food combining isn't paleo..." or "fruits also contain protein".

geekgrrl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by beachrat View Post
    Fine. Antioxidants is all you mentioned in the OP.
    um really? Did you read my post? It was the only example but then I wrote:

"And someone suggests that maybe other issues with antioxidants from fruit and veg being neutralized by proteins. Not at all surprising (and I suspect most fruit would have been munched while picking randomly during the day, not eaten with cooked meat anyway.)
    Last edited by geekgrrl; 03-18-2011 at 01:56 PM.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat? Tom Snyder

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kurite View Post
    I was a fruitarian for some time and I can confirm that food combining is important on that type of a diet. To this day if I eat a piece of fruit and then chow down on some steak or any meat for that matter, my stomach will hurt a lot.
    I've found that my digestion has improved immensely since eating Primal, and I don't need to worry about food combining. I used to belch after eating a raw bell pepper (even on an empty stomach), now I have it in my salad with lots of olive oil, cucumber, and meat (red, white) and I have no problems whatsoever. I think that food combining for better digestion may be helpful for people with impaired digestion, but it's unnecessary for people with good digestion. Vegetarian diets have been linked to zinc deficiency by the way, and zinc is a key component of many digestive enzymes. Food for thought.

With regards to plant-based anti-oxidants, I trust Dr Harris' assertion that there is no published, reliable data to say that they are strictly beneficial; see here and here. He does say later on (here and here) that there is evidence to believe that in limited doses they may provide a beneficial effect, because our bodies produce a greater healing response than is actually needed to compensate for the compound's effects. What constitutes the "right" amount? We don't know, and it's probably a very individual thing.

I think the PB has got it right on the most important things: don't have enzyme inhibitors, lectins, or phytates (nevermind combine them with food), don't have too much sugar (nevermind combine them with food), and in general don't have non-foods (nevermind combine them with food ). For the most part foods work better when they are combined: tryptophan is activated with some carbohydrate, vitamins A, D, E, and K need fat to be properly absorbed, etc.

geekgrrl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreaReina View Post

With regards to plant-based anti-oxidants, I trust Dr Harris' assertion that there is no published, reliable data to say that they are strictly beneficial; see here and here. He does say later on (here and here) that there is evidence to believe that in limited doses they may provide a beneficial effect, because our bodies produce a greater healing response than is actually needed to compensate for the compound's effects. What constitutes the "right" amount? We don't know, and it's probably a very individual thing.

I think the PB has got it right on the most important things: don't have enzyme inhibitors, lectins, or phytates (nevermind combine them with food),
    Harris has some really useful insights, thanks for that.

Good point about the 'just don't have them' basis of PB - that removes a lot of issues right there!

Fat is pretty much my go-to solution for anything I'm not sure about - if for some reason I'm going to have some grain, I have a load of butter or coconut with it. The carbs are still there, but the fat seems to help my gut a lot.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat? Tom Snyder

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast