Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long to notice a difference? page

noncommital is offline Member

How long to notice a difference?

Primal Fuel
    This past Sunday I dipped my toe in the water of PB, giving up grains, legumes and sugar, with the idea that I would indulge on these items occasionally. But a lot of what I read here leaves me a bit apprehensive. The stories of people who have been on PB for a while having a piece of wedding cake and spending the evening in misery or having a slice of pizza and breaking out in a rash or having knee pain. And the fact that since I started PB, I'm suddenly painfully bloated and gassy (I'm not usually), and don't really feel any better, makes me wonder if PB is for me. Is it normal to feel worse when you first start PB? How long does that last?

Other than being about 20 pounds overweight and out of shape, as far as I and my doctor know, I am generally pretty healthy. Good cholesterol levels, good blood pressure, good blood sugar. I don't suffer from IBS or get frequent headaches or have lots of aches and pains. I very rarely get sick.

I just wonder if you have to start out feeling awful in order for PB to make a difference in the way you feel. And I hate the idea that things I can eat now without any noticeable effects will be things I won't be able to have ever again in the future without experiencing some horrid reaction.

That said, I have some questions. For those of you that started PB feeling pretty good in the first place and aren't trying to become an athlete, do you notice much of a difference now, and how long did it take you to actually notice a difference? Or who really miss pizza or chocolate cake? Do you feel enough better than pre-PB that it's worth it to you to not have bread, dairy, nightshades, whatever you've eliminated on PB? Did you suddenly realize that you actually felt awful pre-PB and didn't know it?

I know this is a pro PB site, so obviously most people are going to be pretty positive about it, which is as it should be, but are there are any people out there who have been on PB for a few months and aren't really noticing a difference? Not trying to stir things up or cause a problem, just curious. If I'm going to commit to this, I want to make sure it's worth committing to.

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    Give it a good month. Get it out of your head the occasional indulgence. Just do it strict for 30 days. All your questions will be answered. =)
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Well sure it wasn't like I was dying before I eliminated grains, but once I did and healed my gut I realized how much they were bogging me down. The biggest issue is wheat. It is completely horrible and destructive, even whole wheat, especially whole wheat, and even if it is like the best kind of wheat ever. Of course that's what is in everything baked but if you eliminate that for good you will be much healthier, live longer and more vitally. I ate cheese and chickpeas for the first time in months just yesterday and was a little grumbly for about an hour. Today it wasn't all that bad when I ate the same thing. If I eat wheat it is like death, and no I don't have celiac, it is just that grains want to kill us, seriously.

What is a grain but a grass seed? What is a seed but a carried of genetic information? What does evolution do but propagate genes to the fullest? How does evolution do this with seeds? Since all genes from a parent plant have roughly the same genetic material, if some can sacrifice themselves for the sake of their kin (kin selection) and poison a hungry animal so as to dissuade it from eating its kin, then it benefits its own genes in the other seeds and thus we get seeds with super-awesome animal-killing powers. We can cook and prepare grains in ways that make them less bad but there is still a degree of toxicity to them. I usually say to grain skeptics that it is naive to assume that you will get any less of a fight from grains than you will get from a mother bird protecting her eggs. Except grains fight dirty.

Lastly, I have spent months without eating meat and I have spent more than a month without vegetables and just took supplements to replace the nutrients. When I reintroduced these I felt better. If I reintroduce grains I feel worse. So we can tell immediately that these are foods that work well with my body.

Anyway that's my pitch to you. Wheat does horrific things to the body and condemns people to a life of mediocre health at best, and death and destrution at worst, and if you can accomplish but one thing, it should be to eliminate it. Some people would rather just eat the bread. It is physiologically addictive and mimics a subtle effect of morphine on the brain. And to a lesser extent the orgasm hormone. It helps to understand the nature of our relationship with grains if we are trying to get over them.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

simodalcais is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by say_rahhh View Post
    Give it a good month. Get it out of your head the occasional indulgence. Just do it strict for 30 days. All your questions will be answered. =)
    This is great advice , if you stick to it you wont believe the difference in how you feel , mentally and physically . You will come to see that the foods you think dont affect you actually do , but you have to get away from them to realize this . I use a metaphor about a smoky room ; You dont know how smoky it is until you leave the room and then look back in . ( wish I had a dollar for everytime I've used that one )

Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    What is a grain but a grass seed? What is a seed but a carried of genetic information? What does evolution do but propagate genes to the fullest? How does evolution do this with seeds? Since all genes from a parent plant have roughly the same genetic material, if some can sacrifice themselves for the sake of their kin (kin selection) and poison a hungry animal so as to dissuade it from eating its kin, then it benefits its own genes in the other seeds and thus we get seeds with super-awesome animal-killing powers. We can cook and prepare grains in ways that make them less bad but there is still a degree of toxicity to them. I usually say to grain skeptics that it is naive to assume that you will get any less of a fight from grains than you will get from a mother bird protecting her eggs. Except grains fight dirty.
    Wheat does horrific things to the body and condemns people to a life of mediocre health at best, and death and destruction at worst, and if you can accomplish but one thing, it should be to eliminate it. Some people would rather just eat the bread. It is physiologically addictive and mimics a subtle effect of morphine on the brain. And to a lesser extent the orgasm hormone. It helps to understand the nature of our relationship with grains if we are trying to get over them.
    THIS IS GOLD !! Thanx Stabby

I use a metaphor about a smoky room ; You dont know how smoky it is until you leave the room and then look back in .

Oooh, that's a good one. I grew up in a houseful of smokers and it never bothered me, but now every time I go to visit someone who smokes in their home I get major sinus issues.

Okay, I'll give it a month free of grains (help me!!! I wan't Papa John's!!!), legumes (won't be a problem; I don't like beans much and peanut butter is no good without bread), and sugar. I'm hoping the constant bloating and gas pain is just my gut adjusting to the change in diet, because if it lasts the entire month I guarantee I won't be continuing PB.

Is tamari soy sauce okay? I had some the other night and then realized it has soy and wheat. But it's fermented, right? Does that inactivate the bad guys? Mung bean sprouts okay because they are sprouted?

I've used Splenda for quite some time and plan to continue for at least a while (less than 1/8 cup a day) as I wean myself from sugar, but I notice a lot of you think it's the devil incarnate. Ditto milk, tomatoes, fruit and salt. I really can't see myself going that far into the PB, just eating meat and veg. Have any of you just given up the three things I'm giving up and felt that was good enough?

Thanks for the feedback!

when you boil it down , its all about getting healthier ....and its up to the individual how healthy they want to become . Whatever changes you make will improve your health , its up to you how far into it you want to go or even how fast you want to make those changes . Some people jump right in and go full on , some ease their way in gradually . I personally think you should go 30 days hardcore primal and then if you feel deprived in anyway you can slowly introduce the things you are missing and see how you feel about them , you will more than likely wonder why you missed them at all ! You should read Stabby's post again and contemplate what it says , it's absolute gold !

Can you define hardcore primal? Just meat and veg? I don't have the willpower for that. It's taking enough willpower just to avoid the grains and sugar. I'm definitely sticking with avoiding this big three for at least 30 days, though.

And you're right, it is about getting healthier, but I didn't imagine I would have so much abdominal discomfort by eating healthier. What good is being healthier if you feel worse?

I've read threads on this forum about people having "carb flu" with body aches, grogginess, fatigue, headaches, and how it's common and temporary. I'm not having any of that. I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that my intestines are going to stop hurting sometime soon, and that this is a fairly common experience when transitioning to PB.

Nik
    Nik is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noncommital View Post
    I use a metaphor about a smoky room ; You dont know how smoky it is until you leave the room and then look back in .

Oooh, that's a good one. I grew up in a houseful of smokers and it never bothered me, but now every time I go to visit someone who smokes in their home I get major sinus issues.

Okay, I'll give it a month free of grains (help me!!! I wan't Papa John's!!!), legumes (won't be a problem; I don't like beans much and peanut butter is no good without bread), and sugar. I'm hoping the constant bloating and gas pain is just my gut adjusting to the change in diet, because if it lasts the entire month I guarantee I won't be continuing PB.

Is tamari soy sauce okay? I had some the other night and then realized it has soy and wheat. But it's fermented, right? Does that inactivate the bad guys? Mung bean sprouts okay because they are sprouted?

I've used Splenda for quite some time and plan to continue for at least a while (less than 1/8 cup a day) as I wean myself from sugar, but I notice a lot of you think it's the devil incarnate. Ditto milk, tomatoes, fruit and salt. I really can't see myself going that far into the PB, just eating meat and veg. Have any of you just given up the three things I'm giving up and felt that was good enough?

Thanks for the feedback!

When I started, I did not plan on giving up as much as I have now.....It just took me a while to figure out what foods were affecting me. I don't find PB difficult at all......and I was a bread LOVER! I made my own bread and pizza dough all the time. I still even make it for my husband occasionally, and I don't even crave it anymore. My first month, I cheated with some homemade pizza....and it was good, had no adverse reactions to it, but I just choose not to eat any of it anymore.

It definetly gets a lot easier as you go.....also, I always keep a bar of dark chocolate in my purse, for when I'm out, and someone has dessert/cake. I just eat my chocolate, and then there is not desire for the other item. It's gotten me through a lot of those moments that I may have been tempted to cheat. Now I just want to be healthy, and that is more important to me now than what kind of food I eat. (I never thought I could say that....I was a junk food junkie....loved my candybars and icecream)

dmac24 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I just started PB 5 weeks ago. I'm not an athlete but a 45 year male in decent shape looking to lose the fat. Probably the same 20 pounds as you. For the past 10 -15 years I would awake each morning in pain. Joint pain, muscular pain you name it. I just realized the other day that I don't wake up in pain any more. Darndest thing. Then it hit me. My body is not inflamed any more due to the grains that I used to consume thinking it was healthy. I would take on average 4-6 advil a day thinking it was just what I had to do. Since I started PB I think I've had 4 altogether. I've also lost weight. About 12 pounds or so and I'm not hungry. I hear you. You sound frustrated and tired of the hype and you don't want to waste another 30 days. Make sure you read Primal Blueprint as well as Paleo Solution and Deep Nutrition. Convince yourself with science and facts and I bet it will be easier than just going by what some guy like me says. Every body is different and will react differently at first. As for me I had no fogginess, or stomach pain/bloating etc. Some donuts initially committed "suicide by me" but those incidents have passed. Good luck to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast