Thread: Help! Carb flu makes me not want to exercise! page

Tigresss is offline Junior Member

Help! Carb flu makes me not want to exercise!

Shop Now
    So, I love that I don't feel bloated and miserable since I've cut out the processed sugars and crap. However, I'm so tired, foggy and have a headache nearly all day! I even find myself taking a nap when I can squeeze it in because I'm so exhausted. Apparently, it's "carb flu". ugh.

Problem is, I have no motivation to exercise. I can manage a 3-4mi walk, but my past of weight lifting, kickboxing and cycling seem like a dream. I just can't seem to find the motivation or energy to do those things right now. I feel so bleh...

(In disclosure: This is round 2 of only my first week primal. The first time, I didn't know I was experiencing carb flu, coupled with a 'very bad time of the month', and gave up.)

Has anyone else experienced this?

nachobrawler is offline Senior Member
    Carb Flu is what everyone goes through after dropping gluten and sugar. It is normal and it takes anywhere from 3 days to 1 month or so depending on the person to get through it. It is your body getting rid of the toxins from the CW lifestyle AND learning how to run itself in ketosis.

Dont worry about working out right now. Give yourself a week off or even two if you need it. Your body has plenty to do with regard to converting your metabolisim to running on ketones instead of glucose. That is what it is doing and it is also why you dont have any energy yet.

Have faith however....once you get through the flu you will have more energy and feel better than you have in a long time! Your body wont have those toxins in it anymore and you will be fully running on ketones (via your body fat and dietary fat). I promise you...it is worth the hell of the flu.

For me, it took about 1 month to get rid of all of my flu symptoms. I had head aches all day, was in a fog, had no energy and didnt work out for the first full week. Week #2 I started to lose the fog and got more energy but I still had cravings to eat carbs (you also need to resist eating carbs or they will prolong your flu). Week#3 I had more energy and no fog anymore, less cravings and less headaches. Week#4.....I felt like a new person. All flu symptoms were gone and I had TONS of energy in my workouts.

So, stick with it. It is worth getting through and changing your life.
    If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
    James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

NicoleP is offline Senior Member
    I say just do it (I have to tell myself this sometimes). Maybe it will help with the symtoms. It has helped me.

1. Thanks for helping me not to feel like the pathetic wimp I thought I was because I've only been walking.
    2. Thank you for my new mantra: "So, stick with it. It is worth getting through and changing your life."
    I really can't wait to see how things change and how I feel when my body has converted over to 'primal mode'!

@NicoleP - funny you should say that. The same thing has been echoing in the back of my mind every time I remind myself to stay primal despite the chips/salsa or my husband's homemade chocolate chip cookies!

NicoleP is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigresss View Post
    @NicoleP - funny you should say that. The same thing has been echoing in the back of my mind every time I remind myself to stay primal despite the chips/salsa or my husband's homemade chocolate chip cookies!
    It is always echoing in the back of my mine when it comes to working out. I hate working out, other than getting out and doing things like hiking. Nowhere to hike around here on the coast and the beach is a pain in the ass. At any rate, if I don't do it early on in the day it bothers me all day long that I will have to do it later. Oh and I like your avatar.

Thor Falk is offline Senior Member
    It might even get better with exercise - your body might decide to keep your metabolism low because of your "funny" new food, but once you force it to perform things suddenly get better. happened to me right yesterday for that matter. I almost decided to not go to the gym, and eventually did crank out quite a good workout and felt better for it
    WOD Wed 16/Mar – finally lifting again | Thor Falk

bix
    bix is offline Senior Member
    I was just going to say...take it easy and walk for the first bunch of days until you feel up to exercising, but everyone already beat me to it!

I didn't do anything but walk for a week and a half into the 30 day trial (still only on day 17). Then, there was just one day when I couldn't stand it any more and started lifting. Wait it out, trust it, don't pay attention to feeling sluggish, and your body will thank you in a few weeks!

TARNIP is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nachobrawler View Post
    Carb Flu is what everyone goes through after dropping gluten and sugar. It is normal and it takes anywhere from 3 days to 1 month or so depending on the person to get through it. It is your body getting rid of the toxins from the CW lifestyle AND learning how to run itself in ketosis.

Dont worry about working out right now. Give yourself a week off or even two if you need it. Your body has plenty to do with regard to converting your metabolisim to running on ketones instead of glucose. That is what it is doing and it is also why you dont have any energy yet.

Have faith however....once you get through the flu you will have more energy and feel better than you have in a long time! Your body wont have those toxins in it anymore and you will be fully running on ketones (via your body fat and dietary fat). I promise you...it is worth the hell of the flu.

For me, it took about 1 month to get rid of all of my flu symptoms. I had head aches all day, was in a fog, had no energy and didnt work out for the first full week. Week #2 I started to lose the fog and got more energy but I still had cravings to eat carbs (you also need to resist eating carbs or they will prolong your flu). Week#3 I had more energy and no fog anymore, less cravings and less headaches. Week#4.....I felt like a new person. All flu symptoms were gone and I had TONS of energy in my workouts.

Definately have to agree with Nachobrawler. I wouldn't be doing a damn thing (other than walking if you can handle it). My carb-flu headaches have been more like migraines and they are stopping me dead in my tracks. Just wait until the energy comes and I am sure that when it does, you will be more than able to catch up then

simodalcais is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nachobrawler View Post
    ....once you get through the flu you will have more energy and feel better than you have in a long time! Your body wont have those toxins in it anymore and you will be fully running on ketones (via your body fat and dietary fat). I promise you...it is worth the hell of the flu.
    Damn Straight !! You wont believe how much energy your going to have soon ..you will be glad you stuck it out !