Thread: Health Benefits of Phytic Acid? page

ccb138 is offline Junior Member

Question Health Benefits of Phytic Acid?

Shop Now
    Hello all,

I was recently reading a website and came across this little snippet:

"Health Benefits of Phytic acid
    Phytic acid has been considered as an anti-nutritional component in cereals, seeds and beans. Research has traditionally focused on its structure that gives it the ability to bind minerals, proteins and starch, and the resulting lower absorption of these elements. However, resent research have shown that phytic acid has many health benefits. Phytic acid has antioxidant, anticancer, hypocholesterolemic and hypolipidemic effects.

Anticancer effect of phytic acid
    In animal studies phytic acid showed a protective action in carcinogenesis. This action could be explained by its mineral chelating potential. Some studies suggest that phytic acid acts as anti-cancer agent by reversing the proliferative effects of carcinogens.

Benificial for diabetic patients
    Phytic acid may have health benefits for diabetes patients. It lowers blood glucose response by reducing the rate of starch digestion and slowing the gastric emptying.

Other effects
    Phytic acid releases inositol that during digestion. Although inositol is not an essential nutrient it might reduce depressions. Studies also show that phytic acid may reduce inflammation. "

I am curious to see what others will think of these statements, specifically because I didn't see any citations, and am wondering if anyone can find the research they are going off of.

Does Phytic Acid have any beneficial effects? And if so, how best to go about getting it's benefits while avoiding its harmful effects. Any thoughts would be most appreciated!

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    "Health Benefits of Phytic acid
    Phytic acid has been considered as an anti-nutritional component in cereals, seeds and beans. Research has traditionally focused on its structure that gives it the ability to bind minerals, proteins and starch, and the resulting lower absorption of these elements. However, resent research have shown that phytic acid has many health benefits. Phytic acid has antioxidant, anticancer, hypocholesterolemic and hypolipidemic effects.

So do a billion things without causing mineral deficiencies. Look up a berry or a spice and behold all of these benefits.

Anticancer effect of phytic acid
    In animal studies phytic acid showed a protective action in carcinogenesis. This action could be explained by its mineral chelating potential. Some studies suggest that phytic acid acts as anti-cancer agent by reversing the proliferative effects of carcinogens.

Like I said, vegetables do that too.

Benificial for diabetic patients
    Phytic acid may have health benefits for diabetes patients. It lowers blood glucose response by reducing the rate of starch digestion and slowing the gastric emptying.

So does eating a plastic bag.

Other effects
    Phytic acid releases inositol that during digestion. Although inositol is not an essential nutrient it might reduce depressions. Studies also show that phytic acid may reduce inflammation. "

Other food has that.

I am curious to see what others will think of these statements, specifically because I didn't see any citations, and am wondering if anyone can find the research they are going off of.

Does Phytic Acid have any beneficial effects? And if so, how best to go about getting it's benefits while avoiding its harmful effects. Any thoughts would be most appreciated!
    There is no way to extricate it from the lectins and whatnot. But there are ways to get nutrients from vegetables. By eating them.

If X food has Y and Z properties and Y is good and Z is bad, but we can get Y from H food without Z, we should just eat H food and not X food.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Would you mind posting where you found this so I can check out their references?

bobyswan is offline Junior Member
    Phytic acid is a potent inhibitor of native and fortification iron absorption and low absorption of iron from cereal- and/or legume-based complementary foods is a major factor in the etiology of iron deficiency in infants. Most studies about phytic acid are focused on its anti-nutritional properties, such as mineral binding. Phytic acid is also known to help catalyze the break down of fat during metabolism. The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of phytic acid on excessive liver lipids. Rats were fed with diets rich in sucrose or starch and supplemented with myo-inositol or phytic acid.

billyjordon is offline Junior Member
    Most studies about phytic acid are focused on its anti-nutritional properties, such as mineral binding, Phytic acid always seems to be the primary "anti-nutrient" that is invoked when discussing grains. phytic acid on iron absorption. Similarly with soy-based infant formulas.