Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why do we need to peel white potatoes? page

sandokan2112 is offline Member

why do we need to peel white potatoes?

Shop Now
    Some have mentioned about not eating the peel. What about sweet potatoes, is the peel ok to eat?

Balance is offline Senior Member
    The skin on potatoes/sweet potatoes and a lot of nightshades tend to cause gut irritation. That is why people exclude them if they have digestion issues.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Sweet potatoes aren't nightshades. It is only necessary to peel white potatoes, which have significant glycoalkaloids in the skin
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    If the potatoes are organic I scrub them well and eat the peel. If they are new potatoes and organic I eat the peel. If they aren't - I peel them.

And I have added potatoes back into my regular diet, not daily by any means, but on the other hand, sometimes twice a day. Much improved digestion as a result!

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I can't view the link right now (at work... well, taking a break if I'm posting here, right?) but I think this is it:
    Whole Health Source: Potatoes and Human Health, Part II

It shows that most of the glycoalkaloids in potatoes are in the skin, so they should be peeled, organic or not, especially red (new) potatoes. I'm pretty sure those are Norland in the chart.

I haven't looked for anything on sweet potato peels, but I usually avoid them too just to be safe.

Joe B is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    And I have added potatoes back into my regular diet, not daily by any means, but on the other hand, sometimes twice a day. Much improved digestion as a result!
    Robb Wolf talked about this in a recent podcast, and I too have noticed the same thing since I began eating them regularly; I love it!

carlh is offline Senior Member
    I'd say if nightshades don't bother you then don't peel them. I've heard/read that the nutrients in root vegetables is closest to the skin anyway*, so you might as well get them if you're going to eat them. I don't peel carrots or potatoes (not that I eat them right now).

* - but I've also heard this is false, so, YMMV
    Last edited by carlh; 03-17-2011 at 08:11 AM.

theone is offline Junior Member
    What exactly is nightshades doing for your gut? Gluten is also not good for your gut (inflammation?), but in which ways does it harm our bodies?

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Sweet potatoes are not nightshades. We call them potatoes, but they're from a different family, and the peels are fine to eat.

Even with regular potatoes, the glycoalkaloid levels are fairly low in many varieties unless the potatoes have started to green. I don't think it's harmful to eat the skins now and then as long as you've checked the potatoes for greening first and they aren't one of the higher glycoalkaloid types.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Sweet potatoes aren't nightshades. It is only necessary to peel white potatoes, which have significant glycoalkaloids in the skin
    Thanks for the correction peril. I totally mis-spoke. Sweet potatoes are not part of the nightshade family. Nightshades actually include white potatoes, eggplants, tomatoes. But sweet potatoes are not one of them. I should know better since I normally eat the sweet potatoe with the skin all the time and it never causes me any stomach upsets.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast