Page 21 of 193 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Patrick (who has a filthy pirate hooker mouth) page 21

Coconut Girl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Where are your before and after pics? At the very least, we need an after
    AGREED.

all i can say about the whole "how primal are you" is... who the flying fuck cares?! strive for the 80%--this lifestyle (in conjunction to my newly adopted leangains knowledge--still reading/learning stuff everywhere) has offered me something i could never stick with in the past... structure... and that's all i see it as. structure... not rules to live by or chains to bind myself to. in the past i'd end up sabotaging myself after a week--sometimes less... now i just LIVE... and thank goodness for that!

p.s.-good call on the chips... you may have ended up throwing them in the trash anyway--which would've wasted $3.50 that could've gone to something like... BEEF! lol
    Last edited by Coconut Girl; 03-29-2011 at 08:53 PM.

nachobrawler is offline Senior Member
    Patrick...I prefer to even shorten the phrase further from the ramblings of Mr. Yoda.

I prefer...."Just do it".

Or, "just fuckin do it." If you prefer.

Too many people sit on the fence in life. Life is all about the experience! Yes, that includes failures. But what is success without failure? Failure makes Success only sweeter....

In the immortal words of our very famous American Idol Judge, Steven Tyler:

"You have to lose to know how to win"
    If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
    James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Fine, here are "afters" taken this morning, barely woken up, before doing my Level 4 Day 2. :P If you have nightmares, it's yer own damn fault.

Not flexing profile:

Semi-flexing front:

And yes, I'm sure one of my recent ancestors was a bear rug.

On a serious note, I really gotta figure out some kind of exercise or whatnot to do something about the skin under my chin. Maybe that's just a stubborn spot. I know it goes when my BF% or weight is lower, so... maybe it'll tighten up in a few months.
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    hehe... I can tell in that second picture that you have, in fact, just woken up. You've got that "I just fuckin' woke up" look.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Apparently, "can't" is a major word in her vocabulary. She can't live without rice, she can't find foods that don't contain HFCS, she can't cook every night, she can't get her boyfriend to follow along, she can't possibly be full after eating just meat and vegetables.

I had to just drop it and change the subject. It's not what you can and can't do, it's what you will and won't do!
    Emphasis mine, because you couldn't be more right!! Sucks about your friend, but one must be self-empowered before doing anything. I quit smoking last February (not this past one, but 2010) and I couldn't have done it without wanting to do it.

While a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, a person must first decide to take that step.

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut Girl View Post
    all i can say about the whole "how primal are you" is... who the flying fuck cares?!
    Yeah, there's a lot of this "holier than thou" stuff in the forums these days. It's disheartening to read, but inevitable, especially as Paleo variants become increasingly popular. That's why I only read some people's journals (like all of yours), the success threads, and a few newbie "can someone give me some advice?" threads. It sometimes feels like we're wading through a shit-swamp on here. The sad part is how some of the more veteran people are moving away from posting and reading because of that, so we're losing a lot of legacy/anecdotal knowledge and experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut Girl View Post
    this lifestyle (in conjunction to my newly adopted leangains knowledge--still reading/learning stuff everywhere) has offered me something i could never stick with in the past... structure
    You might like this post I wrote up back in January, CG. It's about how people might philosophically move through their PB learning experience, based on my specific experiences (up til that point). That post is specific to the PB, and my own experiences with it.

Reading it now kind of blows my mind. I set out to lose 35 lb when I started in Sep '10 (as per the post in the link above)... and here I am, at 173 lb... 34 lb less than my starting weight of 207! Fucking insane. I'm kinda blown away by that. Part of me never thought I would do it -- that I was just tossing a fucking number out there without it having meaning. Crazy. The funny part is that I don't care about the weight, but am looking more at the mirror and such. We'll see how I'm doing come early July and the Spartan Race. RAWR!

Quote Originally Posted by nachobrawler View Post
    Too many people sit on the fence in life. Life is all about the experience! Yes, that includes failures. But what is success without failure? Failure makes Success only sweeter....
    You nailed it, NB. People on the fence can never move, either back or forward. During Infantry Officer Training, one of the most important things I learned was to make a decision. Right or wrong, just fucking decide. Not deciding will always be wrong. (I also learned that it's not much fun jogging inside a gas hut filled with CS gas, doing NBC mask drills in full bunny suits.)

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

sibylsybil is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

I had to just drop it and change the subject. It's not what you can and can't do, it's what you will and won't do!
    Emphasis mine, because you couldn't be more right!! Sucks about your friend, but one must be self-empowered before doing anything. I quit smoking last February (not this past one, but 2010) and I couldn't have done it without wanting to do it.
    Thank you both; I like this a lot.
    Life consists with wildness. The most alive is the wildest. (Thoreau)

geostump is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nachobrawler View Post
    Patrick...I prefer to even shorten the phrase further from the ramblings of Mr. Yoda.

I prefer...."Just do it".

Or, "just fuckin do it." If you prefer.

In the immortal words of our very famous American Idol Judge, Steven Tyler:

"You have to lose to know how to win"
    Do you know how often I say this to my 12 yr old daughter? Every fucking day. Apparently they are being taught in school there is no such thing as failure? Who knew. I told her that for every failure, you can be successful 10 times over. We all learn from our mistakes. She was actually getting panicky about mistakes/failure and I told her to calm down and she needs to learn how to roll with it. Told her she'll be more of a success in life if she makes mistakes now versus later in life.
    Georgette

Enamel is offline Senior Member
    Thanks to those pics, I can now imagine you returning the chips a lot more accurately. You don't look like the sort of guy who would buy something in a moment of weakness, haha.
    Congrats on that, btw. It's really easy to think 'oh this looks good' and then just eat something that probably wasn't even satisfying at all. I love those moments where I'm about to make a lame choice, but suddenly stop because I think 'I don't NEED this', and when I think that, I often end up not wanting whatever it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Enamel View Post
    Thanks to those pics, I can now imagine you returning the chips a lot more accurately. You don't look like the sort of guy who would buy something in a moment of weakness, haha.
    I indulge more than I ought to, which is to say more than I want to.

nachobrawler is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    @geo...Yes, I have a 13 year old, 11 year old and soon to be 3 year old daughter (this Sat is her birthday-she's an April fools baby) and almost 8 year old step son. My message as a father is "just do it". Especially to the girls. They need to hear that more than the boy (Actually, with his ADHD...If I pause to say "just do it" to him...he's already done it!). I think it is something inherent in their female persona's that causes them to hesitate more than boys. They are less self assured and need constant reinforcement of their self image. Or maybe its just that they care more about the consequences of each decision. Boys, from my experience and including myself at that age, are more about the doing. They want to do, do, do and worry later or not at all. And what that translates to in life...for girls...is "paralysis from analysis." They analyze when they should do and that causes them to hesitate. And without guidance from parents or loved ones, I think, this is where that becomes a bad habit in person's life. They grow up that way and then become that way as an adult ("I cant do it because..."). We are trying to raise our daughters to be independent thinkers and do-ers. Hopefully, they will be self sufficient and wont need to depend on anyone to make them "whole". Co-dependent=no. I am trying to teach them to be happy with themselves and to love and care about themselves FIRST. Then, everything else will fall into place as it should because they will be healthy mentally and emotionally....and hopefully physically (I am trying to instill the PB!) too.
    If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
    James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix