Thread: Primal Smoothies w/o protein powder page

Daughter of Grok Guest

Shop Now

Anyone have any good primal smoothie ideas without the use of protein powder or sweeteners? I was thinking avocados, spinach, and eggs would work well, perhaps throw in some blueberries for sweetness? Any thoughts?

Tarlach is offline Member

One I used to make was just throw some frozen mixed berries in a good blender and blend until you have a berry slushy. If it gets too solid, add some berry type juice to soften it a little.

Sort of like a cross between a sorbet and a smoothie...

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

annadragon is offline Junior Member

Smoothie options: small chunk of banana, berries, avocado, spinach, coconut milk (base for most of mine), almond (or other)butter, carrots... also toss in some cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, mint, etc

I just play around with whatever I find in the kitchen/patio garden that fits in my little hand blender thingy.

RogerDeRok is offline Member

Last week at Son Of Grok's house we had primal smoothies that were just coconut milk, blueberries, unsweetened cocoa powder and plenty of ice. They were delicious!

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

I do berries, green papaya, parsley, spirulina, coco milk and raw milk yogurt (I have a continuous culture in the fridge!). Sometimes some other stuff but thats it.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

chmcclellan Guest

In the mornings I'll generally throw whatever fresh/frozen fruit I have in with some egg whites,a spoonfull of ground flax, and a scoop (~2tbs) of hemp protein powder.

Which brings me to the question - is hemp protein paleo/primal?

Tarlach is offline Member

Hemp powder isn't paleo and I think it's kind of pointless.

Mark has said he uses protein powder, so I guess it can be part of a primal diet.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

marci Guest

I use a vanilla raw milk whey protein powder as a base & add from there. I used to do spinach-banana but bananas are too high GI for me. My current faves are cherry- cacao, celery-kiwiberry, ginger-berry & as an occasional treat in the late summer, concord grape(w/seeds) fresh black figs & star anise. Add-ins: a dash of tumeric, Salba (a type of chia), raw greens powder, raw local honey, sheep milk yogurt, spices of all kinds. It helps tremendously to have a high speed blender (Ktec, Vitamix etc) to break down your greens nicely for enhanced digestion and that wonderful silky texture.

Daughter of Grok Guest

annadragon- that sounds really good. i like that your smoothies have greens in them. although, all these smoothies sound pretty carby.

annadragon is offline Junior Member

For me an avocado smoothie is kinda like drinking guacamole with different ingredients. And now that I think about it I might try to make a guac smoothie...mmmmm.

Sometimes though I eat the avocado before I get the guac made

Leaves my poor SO asking, "What happened to that guac your were gonna make? I was hoping to eat some." D'oh!