Thread: Holy salt intake! page

Mizz Hawaii is offline Senior Member

Angry Holy salt intake!

I decided to buy some corned beef in honor of st patty's day.( packaged) Made it in my crockpot with some cabbage the other day. I dont remember it ever being this salty. Holy SALT!!! I wanted to throw it away but that's a lot of money to waste and my budget is tight right now. At first I thought I will just eat it slowly so I dont get too bloated. Then this morning I thought screw that if I spread it out I will be bloated for several days. So I decided just to eat the damn thing for all my meals today till it is gone. Be bloated and gain weight then expel all this water over the next couple of days before my friends beach party sunday. UUUgh! Never again. Beware of the packaged corned beef. I cant even eat my beloved bacon for a few days because I need to rid my self of this sodium water retention. I also feel soooooo tired now. Grrrr. Ok back on track. Lesson learned.

lizzychan5 is offline Senior Member
    I wish I could take it from you, I love salty foods like corned beef, i just made roasted pork shoulder (Pernil Al Horno) last night and the recipe called for 4tb of salt for the marinade, it was so delicious. As for excess water retention, can't you just drink more water to flush it from your system?

Melody is offline Senior Member
    "corn" used to mean "grain", corned beef is beef covered in grains of salt.

MariaNYC is offline Senior Member
    What brand did you buy? I'm planning on going to WH tonight to get the Wellshire Farms uncured kind -- hopefully it won't be as bad!
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

I got it from costco. It said it was cured in salt, but bought it anyway. I usually love salty things but this was over the top salty. I've always had a problem with water retention.( until I started eating primally) So basically for the next couple of days I will be getting up about 4-5 times a night to go pee. As long as my double chin it has given me goes away. UUUg!

Quote Originally Posted by lizzychan5 View Post
    I wish I could take it from you, I love salty foods like corned beef, i just made roasted pork shoulder (Pernil Al Horno) last night and the recipe called for 4tb of salt for the marinade, it was so delicious. As for excess water retention, can't you just drink more water to flush it from your system?
    I drink water but my body just holds on to it. I have 1 more serving left which I'm tempted to throw away since I ate most of it.

ennasirk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizz Hawaii View Post
    I got it from costco. It said it was cured in salt, but bought it anyway. I usually love salty things but this was over the top salty. I've always had a problem with water retention.( until I started eating primally) So basically for the next couple of days I will be getting up about 4-5 times a night to go pee. As long as my double chin it has given me goes away. UUUg!
    Just to give you an idea of the salt amounts in homemade - I make my own, and the brine (for a 4-5 lb roast) has a cup of kosher salt in 2 quarts of water (plus spices and some sugar). However, I've never felt like homemade is too salty. (Of course, the brine is discarded and it gets cooked in plain water).
    Last edited by ennasirk; 03-16-2011 at 03:38 PM.
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

Well I wont be buying that again. I have muffin top today from it also. I'm going to really cut back on my salt intake. That's one of my downfalls.

apple is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sorry the salt has affected you so much! It will go away, as I'm sure you know. Drink extra water, that usually helps
    Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

2012 Goals:
    Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
    More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
    LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
    Play more!