Thread: "Relief" page

eyeshield9 is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

My heart goes out to my countrymen, but somehow I felt abit sadder when I read this.

http://ph.news.yahoo.com/star/20091018/tph-100-tons-food-arrive-from-un-541dfb4.html

Basically it days the UN donated "nutritious biscuits" to those affected by recent typhoons.

I have to think the long-term effects of this act have not been thought out enough...

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

And instead, grass fed beef?

If I'm hungry - starving - after a major natural disaster, I'm not going to be Primal. I'm going after calories.

Put your energies where a difference can be made and don't bemoan that the whole world hasn't read Mark's book.

I hope the butter for the biscuits was organic.......

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

Alright, I agree that in such situations any type of calorie-dense food that is ready-to-eat is a God's send, but did they have to call them "highly nutritious with essential minerals and vitamins necessary in developing of young children"?

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

It sounds like the flour is highly supplemented. Sounds fine to me if they are on emergency rations. The phrase "highly nutritious" is probably correct in comparison to "barely nutritious" of most grains, ha ha.

I have no idea what these are, but if I were making an e-biscuit I'd add amino acids and/or soy or ??? to make the protein better, add minerals that were lacking, and vitamins ditto. Might not be great for long term nutrition, but it could do well for a few months.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

There's another famine relief food called a "plumpy nut", which this article says is much more expensive than flour-based emergency rations:

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2009/10/08/let_them_eat_plumpynut

These might be the biscuits talked about in the original post:

http://miraclemeals.co.za/Products/nutritious-biscuits.htm

I wouldn't turn up my nose at either one if I were a typhoon victim.

eyeshield9 is offline Junior Member

...I was going to suggest not eating for a couple of days (since we were designed, nigh, evolved with that capacity) for a few days, rather than getting used to chronically upping my insulin and serotonin levels.

@onthebayou

It doesn't have to be grass-fed beef (though in this country it goes for 3 dollars a kilo so, actually...)

Beyond the nutrition, I think this form of subsidy makes less-developed countries dependent on foreign bodies.

In which case, at the risk of sounding damn insensitive, I would've rather not accepted the "help"...the I can blame the local government for providing the wrong foodstuffs...because they haven't read Mark's book