Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did doing this give me a food allergy? page

Nik
    Nik is offline Member

Question Did doing this give me a food allergy?

Primal Fuel
    Ok, about 10 minutes ago I ate some strawberries and pineapple with coconut milk.

I'm doing the whole 30, so I haven't had anything processed for a week, until this coconut milk.

All of a sudden I feel really wierd, and my throat is a bit swollen. I have never had an allergic reaction to anything, but I am guessing that is what is happening. (my son has severe allergies)

I am hoping this is caused by the guar gum in the coconut milk---i can't imagine giving up coconut or strawberries. maybe pineapple.

What do you think.....did cutting out so much junk out of my diet, make me this sensitive to a food additive? I've been primal about 4 months about 90% compliant with only cheats being red wine, beer, and dark chocolate.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Since allergies are related to inflammation, this WOE generally makes people less allergenic, rather than more. It certainly did that for me. However many people feel more in touch with bodies, in a way, so maybe you would notice a minor reaction more. Of course, I don't have to tell you that if you keep feeling worse to seek medical attention.

Pitter is offline Member
    cutting things out and adding them back in won't give you allergies or make you more sensitive, but it can definitely make a reaction more noticable whereas before you may have just had a low level chronic reaction to some foods. wait a week and then try the foods again, alone and on separate days so you can figure out wich one it is. Strawberries are a common allergy, maybe that's it?

MariaNYC is offline Senior Member
    Actually, I did develop temporary food sensitives when I went primal after eating very badly for a few months. One day, I was snacking on some almonds, and a little while later, my entire body broke out in hives. I "tested" this almond allergy a couple of more times, and each time would get a reaction. Besides that new food reaction, my skin was just being weird in general -- I was diagnosed with eczema, but it didn't make sense, I never had any symptoms before, and don't have it at all these days. I have read other peoples experiencing a sort of detox effect -- toxins being released from the cells or something.
    My almond allergy has since subsided. I'm actually not really sure, to this day, if it was a reaction to the almonds or mold on the almonds -- they were shelled -- but I've had almonds in a variety of ways (including almond flour, shelled, unshelled, slivered) and haven't reacted in the slightest. My skin is also looking better than ever.
    Last edited by MariaNYC; 03-16-2011 at 01:51 PM.
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Nik
    Nik is offline Member
    Thanks....I already feel a lot better. It didn't last too long, but it was uncomfortable. Hopefully I can figure out what caused it.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Any change of diet can change your micronutrient (ie vitamin and mineral) balances. This may enable the expression of genetic allergies. Gene expression isn't all positive
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

ToniWA is offline Senior Member
    Did you thoroughly wash the strawberries? I have severe tree/weed/grass allergies so if I don't scrub/veg rinse fruits/vegetables that I eat raw, I'll almost always get a reaction from whatever the skin picked up through its environment while growing. I don't get to try the fruit samples at Pike Place Market in Seattle or the farmer's markets locally for this reason - sadness...

It surfaces as throat swelling and insane itching with hives for me, but wasn't too bad until I was Primal for awhile. I've learned of a number of allergies in the past year and it's been a hell of a ride.

Nik
    Nik is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniWA View Post
    Did you thoroughly wash the strawberries? I have severe tree/weed/grass allergies so if I don't scrub/veg rinse fruits/vegetables that I eat raw, I'll almost always get a reaction from whatever the skin picked up through its environment while growing. I don't get to try the fruit samples at Pike Place Market in Seattle or the farmer's markets locally for this reason - sadness...

It surfaces as throat swelling and insane itching with hives for me, but wasn't too bad until I was Primal for awhile. I've learned of a number of allergies in the past year and it's been a hell of a ride.
    Wow...this is scary. I am starting to think eating this clean, may not be the best thing? Are there ever any easy answers?

Metismomma is offline Senior Member
    how much of that mix was pineapple and was the pineapple raw?
    Calm the f**k down.

Nik
    Nik is offline Member
    50/50.....and yes, it was raw fresh pineapple

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast