Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recovery Time after heavy lifting page

JenCat is offline Senior Member

Recovery Time after heavy lifting

Primal Fuel
    How long does it take everyone to recover after a heavy lifting session? Not in terms of how many days do you rest, but immediately after your workout, how many minutes does it take you to recover? When I lift heavy, my HR gets up there, and I'm breathing heavy. It can take 20 minutes after the workout to really catch my breath. Anyone else the same?

nachobrawler is offline Senior Member
    Recovery time post lifting is directly affected by the intensity of the exercise as well as the physical conditioning of your body.
    So, comparing your lifting regimen to mine is not fair and recovery wont be the same between us. Make sense?

Now, if you and I did the exact same workout for the same length of time....then our recoveries would directly reflect the physical conditioning of our bodies only. And then you could properly compare recovery time vs each individual

Anyway, all that aside, I work out at work and drive 50 minutes to my home after working out. This 50 minutes is a great time to recover from my workout. I usually am quite tired physically following a workout with the specific muscle groups I have worked feeling "drained". Especially if its legs day. I sometimes having trouble walking up the steps into my house following a leg workout. So, 50 minutes or so would be what it takes to "revive" me. But Im not in any physical shape to workout again for at least 24 hours...
    If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
    James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

JenCat is offline Senior Member
    I am definitely feeling it for the whole day. It just takes 20 minutes or more to even calm my breathing and, particularly after an upper-body lift, to stop the shaking!

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    It's very different for different people, different styles of working out, and especially different intensities. Depending on the workout, I could be recovered in a few minutes, or if I screw up and overtrain, I'm not right for days...

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JenCat View Post
    I am definitely feeling it for the whole day. It just takes 20 minutes or more to even calm my breathing and, particularly after an upper-body lift, to stop the shaking!
    I work out 5-6 days a week and if I lift really heavy or do a lot of pull-ups it takes me a long time to calm my breathing as well and the muscles used feel shaky throughout the days. The hardest recovery for me is full court basketball at night time, after two hours of playing it takes me my whole drive home to get relaxed. But even after that it tends to change my digestion as well as my sleeping pattern for that night.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

gordo is offline Senior Member
    If it was a good session, I'm wrecked for the rest of the day.

Gordo

Vick is offline Senior Member
    On a good session it takes 3-5 minutes before I can move. When I do the leg press... I can't get out of the chair for that long.

I won't go back to the leg press for a minimum of 21 days.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I usually don't feel "normal" till I get some carb in me and a shower, I guess half an hour? Though for the next couple weeks I'll be riding a bicycle 20 minutes home from the gym, we'll see if that helps or causes a crash....

Thor Falk is offline Senior Member
    I am surprised by the experiences - I suppose it depends a lot at which stage you are. Generally recovery will be the more difficult the stronger you are (assuming you are talking a low-rep / high-weight session; high-rep / low-weight dynamics are very different).

I tend to do 5x5 as my basic pattern, mainly on the big compound lifts, and I generally go for a straight-set 5x5 PR on every lifting day. I never go to failure, but I know that when I squat 5x5@120kg, that I would not be able to do full 5x5@122.5. I tend to rest 2-3min in between sets, sometimes 4min, but this is plenty to get heartrate down. Whilst it is a strenous effort, it does not consume that much oxygen - after all it is only 25 lifts.

Now full "recovery" is obviously a different thing: whilst I might feel pretty fine within 15min after a workout, this does not mean I would be ready to attempt the same even on the day after....

Can you give some more specifics of how you are training - as I said, I am really surprised about the heartrate (or rather: the length it takes to come down) if the lift is really heavy / low-reps)?

nachobrawler is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thor....sounds to me like JenCat is relatively new to lifting (yes/no-JenCat?). If so, I think she is finding out, as most people do after starting, what a cardiovascular workout an intense weight training session can be!

JenCat...I would take it slow and allow your body to get in good cardio shape first. That is going to be your limiting factor in determining how much weight you move and how often you move it for the short term. Get acclimated to working with weights around 60% of your one rep max for now. Do sets of ~10 reps and give yourself at least a minute between sets(longer if needed). Work at this pace until you are comfortable following the workout with your breathing and your heart rate. Most importantly, you dont want to be gasping for breath when you start your next set. Do this for a while until you feel like the weights are light and you are ready to go after 1 minute between sets. Once there...its time to up the intensity by starting to move heavier weights (~80% of 1 rep max) for less reps (~6-8 per set) with less rest in between sets (target 30 seconds). When you can do that....you will be in very good shape physically and your body will show it!
    If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
    James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast