Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone feeding a large family primally? page

karatemomx4 is offline Junior Member

Anyone feeding a large family primally?

Primal Fuel
    I'm part of a family of 6, including two teenage boys who are perpetually hungry. One of my biggest obstacles in going whole hog with PB is the fact that we have so many mouths to feed on a single income. Does anyone in a similar position have some tips for feeding a large family, PB style, on a fairly slim food budget?
    Tara

CKATTO71 is offline Senior Member
    I'm interested in following this thread when it gets off the ground. I'm feeding a family of 5. This week is the first week that the dinners will all be primal but the after school time I still bought crap for them. My biggest obstacles are getting them to comply and having 1 vegetarian teen.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    I feed a family of 5 as well. I am the only truly primal one, 2 are about 80% primal and the other 2 fight me. The 2 that fight me, i just tell them that as long as they live under my roof, they will eat what I prepare/buy and until they contribute to the grocery budget, live with it.
    Georgette

moo
    moo is offline Senior Member
    Getting your kids off grains and sugar = they will not be eating ALL the time. They will not need to nor will they want to. This includes your teenage boys who will lose the "perpetual hungriness".

Mine eat breakfast at 7-7:15
    They get school lunch at 9:50 (ridiculous, I know, this will change at their new school thank goodness)
    2:45 they get off the bus and sometimes want a snack but not every single day.
    6-6:30 is dinner time

occasionally they want something before they get ready for bed but this is not an every night thing.

They are growing boys for sure but compare them to any kids in the neighborhood, of all ages, they are the only 2 that aren't constantly eating. I save $$ just on that alone.

My first tip is to add up everything you spend on non-primal stuff. Then dedicate ALL that to the primal budget and you might not find the difference to be that drastic.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I just have one very hungry husband, but I was out of work for a few months last year and was being very austere in my grocery spending. I didn't know how long I was going to be unemployed so I was spending for the worst case scenario. I know what it's like to stretch a dollar.

We ate a lot of big, cheaper cuts of meat like brisket and pork shoulder. An hour in a pressure cooker will make those fall-apart tender. Stews are awesome, too.

We already had a CSA going for produce but if you have a little space to plant, that's the cheapest source right there. Put those boys to work! Also, I used to be in the habit of showing up at the farmer's market in the last half hour. Lots of the sellers will mark stuff down at that point to clear out as much as they can.

Shop sales and freeze. The blog post today mentioned a good way to wrap meat so it doesn't get freezer burned.

Lots of people here cowpool. If you have a big freezer, it can be very economical.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyEater View Post
    I just have one very hungry husband, but I was out of work for a few months last year and was being very austere in my grocery spending. I didn't know how long I was going to be unemployed so I was spending for the worst case scenario. I know what it's like to stretch a dollar.

We ate a lot of big, cheaper cuts of meat like brisket and pork shoulder. An hour in a pressure cooker will make those fall-apart tender. Stews are awesome, too.

We already had a CSA going for produce but if you have a little space to plant, that's the cheapest source right there. Put those boys to work! Also, I used to be in the habit of showing up at the farmer's market in the last half hour. Lots of the sellers will mark stuff down at that point to clear out as much as they can.

Shop sales and freeze. The blog post today mentioned a good way to wrap meat so it doesn't get freezer burned.

Lots of people here cowpool. If you have a big freezer, it can be very economical.
    I second the cowpooling. Also you can buy organic blueberries/strawberries/avocados in bulk from Costco. My Costco also has organic ground beef and chicken but we normally don't get it since it is a little too much for me to eat in a weeks time. But like others have said, just as long as the kids are off of sodas/fruit juice/processed snack foods and fast foods that is half the battle right there.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

MariaNYC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyEater View Post
    Also, I used to be in the habit of showing up at the farmer's market in the last half hour. Lots of the sellers will mark stuff down at that point to clear out as much as they can.
    This is a great tip -- many sellers drop prices 50% or more, and I've even gotten some items for free this way. The downside, obviously, is that it may not be exactly the produce you were looking for, but that may force you to get creative.
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Subbing in here . We're a family of 6 (my kids are 14, 12, 8 and almost 6). I'm just working on transitioning myself at the moment but we already make sure the kids gets good protein at every meal, which can get pricey.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Apologetik is offline Junior Member
    My wife and I feed a family of 9 mainly primally (18 boy, 14 boy, 13 girl, 10 boy, 6 girl, 4 boy, 2 boy). We found that the bill was lower when we went primal, although we are not completely grass feed and organic yet.

We have chosen to lower the cost by buying a cow (I am fortunate to live in a farming community so we are paying $2.25 a pound bagged and ready to freeze + I get a cow hide out of it). We also have been raising our own chickens for meat and eggs. Additionally we grow our own food and we purchase from two separate CSAs. We found farmers that would let us negotiate the amounts in the delivery since we consume so much.

In order to lower the bill I calculated the net protein intake needed for each one of us and we purchase (supplement) the amount of meat we need each week at the grocer with conventional meat and wild fish. We currently use 25-30 pounds of meat a week. I then calculated out the amount of vegis and fruit we needed/ used (we do not restrict the kids). We purchase potatoes (10lbs russet, 5lbs red or white, 10 sweet). We do use rice and non-gluten flours for the kids and fermented soy products. We sweeten with fruits or sweet potatoes and we purchase spices.

We currently spend $250-300 a week including a night out for dinner once a week at a local restaurant.

karatemomx4 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Apologetik View Post
    My wife and I feed a family of 9 mainly primally (18 boy, 14 boy, 13 girl, 10 boy, 6 girl, 4 boy, 2 boy). We found that the bill was lower when we went primal, although we are not completely grass feed and organic yet.

We have chosen to lower the cost by buying a cow (I am fortunate to live in a farming community so we are paying $2.25 a pound bagged and ready to freeze + I get a cow hide out of it). We also have been raising our own chickens for meat and eggs. Additionally we grow our own food and we purchase from two separate CSAs. We found farmers that would let us negotiate the amounts in the delivery since we consume so much.

In order to lower the bill I calculated the net protein intake needed for each one of us and we purchase (supplement) the amount of meat we need each week at the grocer with conventional meat and wild fish. We currently use 25-30 pounds of meat a week. I then calculated out the amount of vegis and fruit we needed/ used (we do not restrict the kids). We purchase potatoes (10lbs russet, 5lbs red or white, 10 sweet). We do use rice and non-gluten flours for the kids and fermented soy products. We sweeten with fruits or sweet potatoes and we purchase spices.

We currently spend $250-300 a week including a night out for dinner once a week at a local restaurant.
    You're my hero! I would LOVE to be able to do some of the things you've done; keep chickens, grow stuff, etc. Unfortunately, I live in suburbia, in a pretty harsh growing climate that makes it difficult to garden. But I'm definitely inspired by your post!

And I know that by removing the junk, the hunger will definitely reduce. My hubby has seen a pretty dramatic drop in his appetite since he went completely Primal a few weeks ago.

Thanks so much for all the tips, everyone!
    Tara

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast