Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cholesterol rising page

ENM
    ENM is offline Junior Member

Cholesterol rising

Shop Now
    I started doing primal last summer. I went pretty strong for a few months and lost 20-30 lbs, then I eased off on the exercise as fall came. At Christmas the diet went to hell for January and then I've been getting back on track, but not after gaining back 10lbs. Last year before I started I got my cholesterol and glucose checked and both were right on the brink of being a problem which was part of why I started since I was already exercising at that time. I just went back and had it all checked again yesterday and I was kind of surprised. The glucose is back to normal range (88), but the cholesterol has skyrocketed I think (TC=218, HDL=65, LDL=143, TRG=50 all in mg/dL).

What could I be doing wrong in the lifestyle, that is making my cholesterol jump. Obviously the lowcarb is helping my glucose levels. Most days my carb intake is less than 150, but some days I eat what I want, but generally I make better choices now than I used to. In the winter my aerobic exercise decreases alot since I don't want to go out and walk, but I have a small farm and still have to go out and do the chores so it's not like I'm not active at all. I have never gotten into doing the weights besides some bodyweight squats and pushups. I have started cooking with coconut oil and butter and everyday I have a salad for lunch with olive oil and vinegar dressing with a can of tuna or salmon. My general meat intake has increased a lot compared to my first blood check. I also won't lie, I eat two fast food breakfast sandwiches per week which are generally only 40 carbs and other bad ingredients, but they are free and I am broke.

So I assume when I get back to walking things will generally improve, but I thought the diet itself would help things improve as well. Now I'm not sure what to think. Also add I'm 30y/o, 185lbs, female if details are important.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Your cholesterol is fine. Look at my Cholesterol Primer (in my sig) and be enlightened. Look at that HDL - it's marvelous! Your trigs are insanely good. You do not have anything to worry about.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

ENM
    ENM is offline Junior Member
    Interesting, thanks. Also just read the other thread on this, I wonder how many people have this same reaction.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Most people react the way you did, because they're so mired down in the CW about cholesterol. And most people see a bump in HDL and LDL and TC, because now they're eating what human beings were designed to eat.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

RachelRD is offline Senior Member
    your tryglycerides look good!! your HDL is good but could be better...dont think i would worry about the TC since the other parameters are good

and if your glucose was on the brink of being a problem before, then your doc should have told you to monitor it home fasting, after meals.

remember that gluc level is only indicative of what your glucose is at the time the blood was drawn...a HgbA1 is more helpful in determining blood sugar control over the last few mnths.

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    There are a lot of threads on just this topic. I think a lot of us are getting yelled at by our doctors around now....

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Those numbers look great to me - what's your CW reference, anyhow? I don't think those are "bad" by any current up to date definition.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    A recent post from Paul Jamminet hypothesized that sometimes it could be a lack of copper. There is a lot of copper in grains and when people cut them out and don't find other sources for copper their arteries become damaged and their LDL rises to repair damage Perfect Health Diet Answer Day: What Causes High LDL on Low-Carb Paleo?

So just consider that. If you're getting enough copper, your CRP is low, your A1C is low and you feel good I agree with Griff that you shouldn't worry.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Stabby, I read that the other day - very interesting. I think it could apply to those folks whose LDL is very high not for the thread starter.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    We know that pattern A LDL (which the threadstarter has) is not atherogenic, and so he's not in imminent danger, but if there is a copper insufficiency and the arteries are being damaged then that is bad. So the idea is to raise copper levels if they are low. I don't believe in driving down cholesterol with a low fat and protein diet with omega 6 oils and oatmeal, but cholesterol can also be raised by damage to the body, which isn't good. Cholesterol is the fireman and when there are no more firemen is when you know that the fire is out.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast