Thread: NyTimes Article: The Gentics of Fitness page

Steve-O is offline Senior Member

NyTimes Article: The Gentics of Fitness

Primal Fuel
    The Genetics of Fitness - NYTimes.com

"The researchers looked at 324,611 individual snippets over all. Each of the volunteers had already completed a carefully supervised five-month exercise program, during which participants pedaled stationary bicycles three times a week, at controlled and identical intensities. Some wound up much fitter, as determined by the increase in the amount of oxygen their bodies consumed during intense exercise, a measure called maximal oxygen capacity, or VO2 max. In others, VO2 max had barely budged. No obvious, consistent differences in age, gender, body mass or commitment marked those who responded well and those who continued to huff and struggle during their workouts, even after five months."

Good to read the whole article. Even if you don't get much fitter from exercise there is still value in that it lowers BP and improves blood lipid profile.

darkersolace is offline Senior Member
    This article is interesting, but it basically confirms what I (and many others, I imagine) have been suspecting: not everyone is genetically programed to run, thus it's more of a benefit for some than it is for others. But it seems everyone benefits from weight bearing exercises.
    5'6" 27 y/o female, Primal 6 months and counting.

CW: 160 -- in single-digit dress sizes for the first time in 12 years!

GW: 150 -- for swimsuit season

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    The overwhelming error in this is "controlled and identical intensities".

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkersolace View Post
    This article is interesting, but it basically confirms what I (and many others, I imagine) have been suspecting: not everyone is genetically programed to run, thus it's more of a benefit for some than it is for others. But it seems everyone benefits from weight bearing exercises.
    Running isn't for everybody, but it can also be an acquired taste. I hated running for a long time before I got into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    The overwhelming error in this is "controlled and identical intensities".
    +1

Studies don't prove anything, not to me at least. I go based on what I have observed in nearly a decade spent training people: those who work hard get results. Those who whine and don't really push themselves don't get results. The problem is that most people in the second category are in serious denial, so they will gauge their intensity differently if asked to.

Does genetics play a factor? Absolutely. Not everyone has the potential to be an Olympian, but NOBODY is genetically incapable of getting strong, healthy and fit.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    I come from a mixed bloodline of soldiers (mom's side) and criminals (dad's side). Of course both sides also include brawlers and explorers. So basically I'm a sturdy fellow who's good with a gun, capable of lying his way out of a steel box, throws a decent punch and can swim. I also never get lost.
    That is so inaccurate... The most I've managed so far is a wooden box.

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Good View Post
    I come from a mixed bloodline of soldiers (mom's side) and criminals (dad's side). Of course both sides also include brawlers and explorers. So basically I'm a sturdy fellow who's good with a gun, capable of lying his way out of a steel box, throws a decent punch and can swim. I also never get lost.
    You should have stopped there. I doth lol'd, sir.
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Vick is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post

Studies don't prove anything, not to me at least. I go based on what I have observed in nearly a decade spent training people: those who work hard get results. Those who whine and don't really push themselves don't get results. The problem is that most people in the second category are in serious denial, so they will gauge their intensity differently if asked to.

Does genetics play a factor? Absolutely. Not everyone has the potential to be an Olympian, but NOBODY is genetically incapable of getting strong, healthy and fit.
    But you should not close your mind to studies. Some are done in very poor science, but others provide us with valuable information.

I would never have lasted a week with your style of training. My trainer, took a different approach... one I bought into.

I push hard for results. I doubt you would let me take three weeks off between visits.

Meg-a-Tron is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Properly done studies DO PROVE lots of things, it's just a matter of using your brain to find out which of the studies out there is worth reading thoroughly.
    Stats: 5'6" female, 21 years young
    Starting Weight: 187 lbs (March 2010)
    Current Weight: 143 lbs (Oct 2011)
    Goal BF: 20%

Super D Omega 3 daily & BCAAs preworkout