Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boderline higher levels of testosterone for a woman page

aloka7 is offline Junior Member

Question Boderline higher levels of testosterone for a woman

Shop Now
    Hi Everyone.
    I've been primal for almost a year now (In April to be precise) and like most of us here, I've never felt better, lost loads of weight, become lean and strong and I am not worried about ever feeling otherwise!

I'm 29 and I just saw my doctor today with a few tests recommended by him as my husband and I are thinking of trying to get pregnant sometime this year.
    As you can imagine, the results were great, my previously poly cystic ovaries are now normal sized and there's no cause of concern there.

The only thing the doctor pointed out is that my testosterone levels are on the higher side for women 0.84 ng/ml where the upper limit is 0.8 ng/ml.
    he said that, that meant that there maybe some hormonal imbalance and has prescribed a mild drug that is normally given to borderline diabetics.

I'm thoroughly confused honestly, is having slightly higher levels of testosterone a cause of concern?
    Should I be taking medicine for it or should I let it be? Does it affect fertility? Has it got alot to do with my primal lifestyle?

I would rather not have anything to do with medicine if I can avoid it so if anyone has any prior experience or advice to share I'll be really grateful.

Thanks,
    Aloka

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    I would absolutely NOT take whatever this drug is. That is me though. I don't take so much as an asprin. Your number is only slightly above the so called limit and it disturbs me that this doctor would just immediatley perscribe a drug like that without knowing why it's high. At least maybe retest you. If I were you I'd do all the research I could on this and make an informed decision that way before I'd start the meds process. All too often once you become a customer, you stay a customer.

I'm no doctor but if I were I'd dig a little deeper as to what is going on here. What is your exercise program? Did you do some sort of high intensity workout before this blood test? A good HIIT session will elevate testosterone and HGH a bit for hours afterwards.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aloka7 View Post
    Hi Everyone.
    I've been primal for almost a year now (In April to be precise) and like most of us here, I've never felt better, lost loads of weight, become lean and strong and I am not worried about ever feeling otherwise!

I'm 29 and I just saw my doctor today with a few tests recommended by him as my husband and I are thinking of trying to get pregnant sometime this year.
    As you can imagine, the results were great, my previously poly cystic ovaries are now normal sized and there's no cause of concern there.

The only thing the doctor pointed out is that my testosterone levels are on the higher side for women 0.84 ng/ml where the upper limit is 0.8 ng/ml.
    he said that, that meant that there maybe some hormonal imbalance and has prescribed a mild drug that is normally given to borderline diabetics.

I'm thoroughly confused honestly, is having slightly higher levels of testosterone a cause of concern?
    Should I be taking medicine for it or should I let it be? Does it affect fertility? Has it got alot to do with my primal lifestyle?

I would rather not have anything to do with medicine if I can avoid it so if anyone has any prior experience or advice to share I'll be really grateful.

Thanks,
    Aloka
    good timing, i am thinking i have the same problem... i wouldnt take meds but whats your daily food intake look like? and exercise?

Zedefone is offline Member
    What i have knowledge of is that the average female(and males) in the modern age have a ''higher than normal'' estrogen levels due to the toxins and chemicals they are exposed to in the modern world.

Quote Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
    I would absolutely NOT take whatever this drug is. That is me though. I don't take so much as an asprin. Your number is only slightly above the so called limit and it disturbs me that this doctor would just immediatley perscribe a drug like that without knowing why it's high. At least maybe retest you. If I were you I'd do all the research I could on this and make an informed decision that way before I'd start the meds process. All too often once you become a customer, you stay a customer.

I'm no doctor but if I were I'd dig a little deeper as to what is going on here. What is your exercise program? Did you do some sort of high intensity workout before this blood test? A good HIIT session will elevate testosterone and HGH a bit for hours afterwards.
    I read somewhere that testosterone levels go down after a good HIIT workout. But if what you're saying is true then I don't have a problem as I did my test right after bootcamp which was pretty intense.
    Thanks for your reply. I will probably just get another test done and even then I'm probably going not going to go with popping the drug anytime soon!

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    What's the name of the drug he wants to put you on?
    Also with PCOS you tend to have high testosterone levels. Maybe your level of testosterone is coming down after your PCOS improving. You may have had a lot higher levels - is this the first time you tested levels?
    Last edited by Sue; 03-17-2011 at 04:45 AM.

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aloka7 View Post
    I read somewhere that testosterone levels go down after a good HIIT workout. But if what you're saying is true then I don't have a problem as I did my test right after bootcamp which was pretty intense.
    Thanks for your reply. I will probably just get another test done and even then I'm probably going not going to go with popping the drug anytime soon!
    One of the reasons why interval training such as sprinting is so effective on so many levels is that it causes a natural release of these hormones which decrease as we age. You are working at a max level and your body needs to be "young" and strong to perform at such a level so it adapts by releasing HGH, testosterone and I'm sure a cascade of others. As a benefit these hormone promote a leaner, younger, stronger body.

Yes I would definitely have the test done again and not right after a HIIT session.

darkersolace is offline Senior Member
    I previously had slightly elevated testosterone, but I've not been tested in some time. If you already know you have PCOS, I think it's likely your levels are a little higher than an average female because of that AND the fact you were tested right after a HIIT session pushed it over.

If your doc says your ovaries have improved, I wouldn't take the drugs (which I am assuming is metformin?). Redo the test on a rest day, but otherwise I think you should just keep doing what you're doing.
    5'6" 27 y/o female, Primal 6 months and counting.

CW: 160 -- in single-digit dress sizes for the first time in 12 years!

GW: 150 -- for swimsuit season

Hi Sue,
    yes this is the first time I tested. the drug is called glycomet 500 (metformin basically). Yes it could be that my testosterone levels are coming down, since all the others tests look good. but what I will do is test it once more before I make a decision.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by darkersolace View Post
    I previously had slightly elevated testosterone, but I've not been tested in some time. If you already know you have PCOS, I think it's likely your levels are a little higher than an average female because of that AND the fact you were tested right after a HIIT session pushed it over.

If your doc says your ovaries have improved, I wouldn't take the drugs (which I am assuming is metformin?). Redo the test on a rest day, but otherwise I think you should just keep doing what you're doing.
    Hi,
    yes the drug is metformin. and thanks for the vote of confidence I'l definitely take the test again! if all my other pcos signs have disappeared then I should not be testing high for anything really, so will do i again to put my doubts to rest! thanks..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast