Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Celiac disease =/= gluten sensitivity (WSJ article) page

Griff is offline Senior Member

Celiac disease =/= gluten sensitivity (WSJ article)

Primal Fuel
    Study Sheds Light On Gluten Sensitivity - WSJ.com

Finally. They're figuring out that gluten sensitivity is not necessarily the same thing as celiac disease. About damn time.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I dislike how they call general gluten-free eating a fad. Oh yeah not eating glass is such a fad. Gliadin still causes intestinal permeability no matter who you are. Not that "crap in a box" (according to Mark) is much of an improvement. I tried eating some white rice a while ago and got bloaty far beyond anything dairy and nuts can do.

Anyway what would the biochemical difference between sensitivity and celiac be? I know celiac is when they can't break gluten down into its constituents and the immune system has to go to war with the proteins, causing all sorts of collateral damage.

Anyway I am glad that they are finally recognizing that gluten is seriously bad for some people (I think all people) and that celiac isn't the only problem with it. Could have saved Griff a lot of inflammation and could have saved me from having skinny bones.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Suzan is offline Senior Member
    They are incorrect in their little chart on the bottom of the article indicating that gluten sensitive people might be okay with a small amount of gluten. It's good that it is in the news. Maybe doctors will suggest a gluten issue when their patients have GI problems. I wish my former docs had thought of it. Would have saved me years of pain.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    Anyway what would the biochemical difference between sensitivity and celiac be? I know celiac is when they can't break gluten down into its constituents and the immune system has to go to war with the proteins, causing all sorts of collateral damage.
    I read a fascinating study recently published by Fasano. It may be available for free, but I had a friend who's a researcher download and send it to me. Anyhow, I'm thinking that the difference is basically that Celiac is a specific manifestation in the small intestine. Gluten instigates other autoimmune reactions as well, but they're just now finding the links and it will probably be many years before this is generally accepted. The markers would likely be which AI disorder a person ends up with.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    I was pretty happy to see that article, too. It's one step away from 'Whole wheat is good for everyone except these weird coeliac types who can't eat because there's something wrong with them (but not with it, obviously, because it's a Whole Grain which is a sacred food)' and towards reality. Hooray.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Both my grandmothers died of GI cancers (different types). I have no interest in consuming even small amounts of gluten with that sort of history. My celiac antibody test came back negative because I was eating gluten-free at the time and my doctor didn't know that you must be eating gluten for the test. I'm not interested in repeating it with gluten in my diet, and my doctor is happy to accept the alleviation of symptoms on a GF diet as good enough evidence.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

JenniferK is offline Junior Member
    Now I just hope doctors pay attention to this research. . .

Years ago, when I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, they initially thought I probably had Crohn's, since I had all the joint symptoms plus ANY time I put food in my stomach I was in the bathroom and in pain within 20 mins (yeah, for a year I never ate any food away from home). So I went through all the scoping, blood work, etc with a GI doc. . . who decided since I was negative for Celiac and Crohn's, I must have IBS and gave me a prescription for a med with lots of fun side-affects to control my 'digestive upset' and suggested a high fiber diet - he actually had several brands of high fiber (read wheat based) breakfast cereal that he specifically recommended. Since the problem (as I've come to find) is gluten, that was pretty much like handing a diabetic a candy bar and insulin together as a 'treatment plan'.

Lucky for me it wasn't too long after that I ran across Cordain, and then MDA. ONE WEEK of eating primal, and I didn't have IBS symptoms anymore - go figure!

I’m with Stabby; I don’t think grains are good for anybody. . .What blows me away is that, over the years, I’ve met people that have been diagnosed with true Celiac, and they WILL NOT change their diet, because they don’t want to give up bread, pasta, etc. . . They would rather take meds to control their symptoms. . .Wow!!!
    A ship in harbor is safe - but that is not what ships are for. ~John A. Shedd

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Both my grandmothers died of GI cancers (different types). I have no interest in consuming even small amounts of gluten with that sort of history. My celiac antibody test came back negative because I was eating gluten-free at the time and my doctor didn't know that you must be eating gluten for the test. I'm not interested in repeating it with gluten in my diet, and my doctor is happy to accept the alleviation of symptoms on a GF diet as good enough evidence.
    It's interesting looking back through our family history at how many people (on both sides!) died of "abdominal cancer" before they started pinpointing it further. I have one aunt who is definitely celiac - I've been tested, but it was while I was gluten-free. I'm actively refusing to get an official diagnosis, because I'd like to be able to do silly things like get life insurance in the future. The only treatment is a gluten-free diet, and I don't need a prescription for that!
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Hmm. Going off gluten transformed my life, I don't really care whether I fit the diagnostic criteria for the manifestation of gluten intolerance which the mainstream has termed "celiac disease". But it is a good thing if it becomes accepted by the mainstream that sets of symptoms not within the classic celiac umbrella can still be caused by gluten (I gained a huge amount of weight rather than lost, and stomach problems were one of my lesser symptoms, so celiac wasn't one of the things they considered, hence I am self-diagosed by the gold standard test for gluten intolerance- trying a gluten free diet!).

My grandma died of oesophageal cancer, I can't help wondering if that was gluten related consider it is generally caused by GERD and that was one of my main symptoms.

I have a friend was was seriously ill with celiac for 10 years. Don't ask me how they didn't diagnose her when she has classic symptoms- weight loss (she went down to 6.5 st), severe stomach problems etc. She now has osteoporosis and pernicious anaemia, and is in remission from bowel cancer.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast