Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Celiac disease =/= gluten sensitivity (WSJ article) page 2

  1. #11
    apple's Avatar
    apple is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    US
    Posts
    343
    Primal Fuel
    JenniferK--I have Crohn's and diabetes. I was given the same advice when I was diagnosed with Crohn's. AND I was LITERALLY handed insulin and a candy bar when diagnosed with diabetes. Oh, it was cleverly disguised as a "low glycemic protein bar" to keep my blood sugars level, but it was peanut butter and chocolate. Candy.

    I had even asked my GI doctor to look for celiac signs when he did my colonoscopy, but he never once mentioned it afterward. I have the feeling he found Crohn's and then just quit looking for anything else.
    Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

    2012 Goals:
    Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
    More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
    LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
    Play more!

  2. #12
    Pitter's Avatar
    Pitter is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by apple View Post
    I had even asked my GI doctor to look for celiac signs when he did my colonoscopy, but he never once mentioned it afterward. I have the feeling he found Crohn's and then just quit looking for anything else.
    He probably should have told you that he wasn't going to be able to check for celiac...you need an endoscopy since it affects the small intestine, not the colon. I hate it when doctors just ignore instead of having a conversation. grr.

    I think this is one of those things where the science just isn't able to keep up with what's going on in the real world. A ton of people are having intolerance symptoms (even if they were always fine before) and people are trying gluten free diets, feeling awesome and telling their friends. I guess that makes it a "fad diet", but if people are feeling better, so what? Of course lots of people don't know why they're doing it and are just replacing wheat with other grains. I did it that way 10 years ago and no surprise my GI symptoms didn't go away while I was relying on corn and rice. I therefore decided it wasn't really gluten and brought it back into my diet.

    Interesting that the article says that they estimate celiac at 1% of the population and intolerance at 6%. I would put money on intolerances being more like 40%.

  3. #13
    Horsewoman's Avatar
    Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    1,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitter View Post
    He probably should have told you that he wasn't going to be able to check for celiac...you need an endoscopy since it affects the small intestine, not the colon. I hate it when doctors just ignore instead of having a conversation. grr.

    I think this is one of those things where the science just isn't able to keep up with what's going on in the real world. A ton of people are having intolerance symptoms (even if they were always fine before) and people are trying gluten free diets, feeling awesome and telling their friends. I guess that makes it a "fad diet", but if people are feeling better, so what? Of course lots of people don't know why they're doing it and are just replacing wheat with other grains. I did it that way 10 years ago and no surprise my GI symptoms didn't go away while I was relying on corn and rice. I therefore decided it wasn't really gluten and brought it back into my diet.

    Interesting that the article says that they estimate celiac at 1% of the population and intolerance at 6%. I would put money on intolerances being more like 40%.
    Yeah I think they are massively underestimating.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

    Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

    Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

    "Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

  4. #14
    DFH's Avatar
    DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    1,779
    It would be good if more study were done to see about a possible link between gluten and inflammatory bowel diseases like Crohn's and Ulerative Colitis (UC).

    I had UC from 1986 to 1991, and had to have surgery for it. I'm on a site for people living with it, or living after it (a lot of people get a replacement colon called a j-pouch). Discussions of gluten are very common there. Some people report being tested negative for gluten intolerance, but they stop it and feel better anyway.

    When I was seeing a doc for UC, wheat or gluten was never even mentioned. I pressed the doc for an explanation of why this disease happens, and he said the cause was unknown. Uh huh.

    It's always been a pet theory of mine that a lot of people get these diseases due to gluten, or at least it lowers their resistance and contributes to it.

  5. #15
    Blackcatbone's Avatar
    Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    2,192
    Quote Originally Posted by DFH View Post
    It would be good if more study were done to see about a possible link between gluten and inflammatory bowel diseases like Crohn's and Ulerative Colitis (UC).
    Check out the link I posted on the first page. Alessio Fasano is one of the top Celiac researchers in the world. He's linked not only IBD but also AI disorders and other diseases to gluten. Some of the paper is a bit too heavy for me but most of it is quite readable.

  6. #16
    Pitter's Avatar
    Pitter is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbone View Post
    Check out the link I posted on the first page. Alessio Fasano is one of the top Celiac researchers in the world. He's linked not only IBD but also AI disorders and other diseases to gluten. Some of the paper is a bit too heavy for me but most of it is quite readable.
    It will be a huge step in the right direction when we can better link UC and Crohns to wheat and other environmental triggers. I will never forget seeing my first Crohns patient in the hospital- a cute 16 y/o boy who had just had part of his bowel removed and asked me if there was anything different he should eat. All I was allowed to say was that food choices haven't been connected to recurance of flare ups.

  7. #17
    Suzan's Avatar
    Suzan is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by Twibble View Post
    It's interesting looking back through our family history at how many people (on both sides!) died of "abdominal cancer" before they started pinpointing it further. I have one aunt who is definitely celiac - I've been tested, but it was while I was gluten-free. I'm actively refusing to get an official diagnosis, because I'd like to be able to do silly things like get life insurance in the future. The only treatment is a gluten-free diet, and I don't need a prescription for that!

    My father died from colon cancer when he was 58 years old. When I was tested at Entero Lab for gluten sensitivity, I also did their dna test. Turns out that both my parents carried the celiac gene.

  8. #18
    Griff's Avatar
    Griff is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,828
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    I was pretty happy to see that article, too. It's one step away from 'Whole wheat is good for everyone except these weird coeliac types who can't eat because there's something wrong with them (but not with it, obviously, because it's a Whole Grain which is a sacred food)' and towards reality. Hooray.
    What you said, and then some.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

    Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)


    Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

    My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

  9. #19
    ProtoAlex's Avatar
    ProtoAlex is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitter View Post
    It will be a huge step in the right direction when we can better link UC and Crohns to wheat and other environmental triggers. I will never forget seeing my first Crohns patient in the hospital- a cute 16 y/o boy who had just had part of his bowel removed and asked me if there was anything different he should eat. All I was allowed to say was that food choices haven't been connected to recurance of flare ups.
    Actually both UC and Crohn's occur at a statistically significant higher rate in diagnosed celiacs. From what I can remember the correlation increases the longer the person has been undiagnosed for.
    "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
    -J.Stanton

  10. #20
    Twibble's Avatar
    Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Midland, Texas
    Posts
    2,405
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzan View Post
    My father died from colon cancer when he was 58 years old. When I was tested at Entero Lab for gluten sensitivity, I also did their dna test. Turns out that both my parents carried the celiac gene.
    My aunt died 2 weeks ago after a long fight with ovarian cancer (also very common in our family) at about the same age. She refused to have DNA testing done due to possible ramifications for her daughters, but I would have loved to see the results of that test...
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

    If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

    Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •