Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Appalachian Trail Thru Hike page 4

Jen AlcesAlces is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Grok View Post
    I'd like to upgrade my sleeping bag someday to a WM down, would save me a couple pounds! How do you like those REI Midweights? My heavyweights seem like there midweights warmth wise. I almost bought a Seirus hat, how do you like yours? A suggestion on stoves, I'd take both alchy and canister. Most alchy stoves i've encountered weigh under an ounce and fuel is really easy to get (from what I hear). Just isn't as fast to cook with as a canister stove.
    I really like my midweights, but rumor is that they changed the fabric now... so I hope these last! Love my seirus hat, warmest hat I've tried. Thanks for the advice on stoves. We will probably take both on some shorter trips before the big hike to decide. If we do canister, we'd have to load up on them for our resupply boxes - definitely not as easy as picking up alcohol fuel in towns.

Fishing Gear - Yup I plan on keeping my rod and reel with me the whole time. I hear theres good fishing in Maine! Its very small and lightweight. Here is a LINK to the setup I bought. I added 2x spinner bait and a couple hooks too.
    Nice setup, very light! Also, the relaxation of fishing will be a nice balance to the hiking!

Your list looks really complete and well thought out. If it wasn't for the internet I think my backpack would weight in at over 60+ pounds of useless gear Always good to compare and share suggestions with each other!

Your friend must have made an awesome meal to earn that name!
    Thanks... I'm checking out that bag liner and appreciate the comments! Geez, my pack would weigh a ton too if I didn't have other lists to look at. Well, and trial & error. Don't be afraid to mail things back that you switch out for different equipment along the way... my friend the chef bought a new backpack about 2 weeks in, and mailed his old one home.

Foodwise, I'm coming up with ideas for breakfasts (I like hot food in the morning, and oatmeal is not good for my gut) like sweet potatoes or rice cereal... mixed with protein powder, coconut milk powder, fruit, honey & cinnamon. Still in the test kitchen with those ideas. Also, the powdered eggs are a good idea to mix things up (Thanks Adrainag!) - they have them at my grocery store, so more experiments to come. Leaning toward dinners of instant potatoes or rice, with veggies, meat, spices and olive oil mixed in. Also, some freeze dried meals, like Mountain House, because they're just so easy. We don't like to stop for a long lunch, so during the day, we'll have gels, nuts, fruit, kind bars, larabars, peanut butter, cheese, etc.

What have you decided for food, besides the fish and critters of course?

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    I can't wait to hear how this turns out. We just hiked near Springer Mtn this week and dream of spending a week or two on the AT some day. I don't have any intention of using the usual high carb premade dried food I see so much of. I'd eat 100% pemmican if I had to first. But I love zoebird's list; it's exactly what I came up with (minus the dark choc) except I didn't think of vac-sealing the ferments. Would they keep that way? Have you ever tried it?

Pemmican can last (and has) for decades. It fueled northern Native Americans on the hunt and IIRC, pioneers working on the railroads for long hours/days/months in the sun driving railroad spikes. Complete food!
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

lonewolfTKD is offline Junior Member
    Itís not a survival situation. You have no real need to hunt. Carry your food like a real backpacker.

Seaglassgreen is offline Senior Member
    I am way late to this conversation, but in case someone finds it by searching for AT info like I just did - I did 600 miles of the trail (Harper's Ferry to VT) last year. I would say that there was a lot less wildlife than one might expect.. as far as hunting your own food goes
    we weren't primal when we went, but almond butter packets were something we had a lot. and cheese. tuna and chicken packets. some pemmican. Nuts and dried fruit. I'm not going to lie, I want to do the trail again in the future, and I envision plenty of Lipton rice sides and tuna/chicken in my future. And also, when you are burning that many calories, you will pretty much do anything for a cheeseburger and beer

Goal: Feel good, be active!

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Seaglassgreen View Post
    I am way late to this conversation, but in case someone finds it by searching for AT info like I just did - I did 600 miles of the trail (Harper's Ferry to VT) last year. I would say that there was a lot less wildlife than one might expect.. as far as hunting your own food goes
    we weren't primal when we went, but almond butter packets were something we had a lot. and cheese. tuna and chicken packets. some pemmican. Nuts and dried fruit. I'm not going to lie, I want to do the trail again in the future, and I envision plenty of Lipton rice sides and tuna/chicken in my future. And also, when you are burning that many calories, you will pretty much do anything for a cheeseburger and beer
    A friend of ours finished his third leg this summer, Virginia to Maine. I hear hikers eat heroic quantities of ice cream.

Seaglassgreen is offline Senior Member
    Heck yes they do! At the 1/2 way point, it's a ritual to eat a half gallon of ice cream!

tcb
    tcb is offline Senior Member
    awesome.. the wife and I hope to make this trek someday... hoping to do a small piece next fall on the Georgia end of things.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I'm resurrecting this thread! My wife and I are planning to do the Georgia portion of the AT (Amicalola Falls -> Springer Mtn. to the nearest Parking lot in NC). It will be a nearly 100-mile hike. If we can keep up the mileage, it should take 8 days.

We are going gear-shopping this weekend. And I will start making jerky, pemmican, and lots of other dehydrated things soon.

We are planning to leave the first week in June. The worst part (to me) is trying to figure out transportation to/from the trail. If we go it alone, we'd have to drive both cars to our endpoint in NC, then drive one down to Amicalola. Then when we finish the hike, we'd have to drive back to the other car we left at Amicalola and then on to our final destination. It's about 100 miles by car as well as by foot between the endpoints, so that would be a total of 300 miles of driving just between the endpoints, not counting any driving to/from those endpoints. We know some people that live sorta nearby, but it is a two-hour one-way drive for any of them.

Edited to add: Found the list of shuttle services published by the ATC. I'm trying to figure out the best option for getting to/from the trail and it's making my head spin!! I'm sure we'll get something worked out though.

I will try to remember to post about our experience here!
    Last edited by yodiewan; 03-21-2013 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Shuttle service

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234