Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Appalachian Trail Thru Hike page 3

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    There was a great documentary, early 1990s, by a woman filmed her experiences walking the entire trail. She was middle-aged and heavy at the beginning, and still middle-aged at the end, but heavy-no-more.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    There was a great documentary, early 1990s, by a woman filmed her experiences walking the entire trail. She was middle-aged and heavy at the beginning, and still middle-aged at the end, but heavy-no-more.
    lol I bet! It's definitely not a hike for the faint of heart!
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    A good friend of mine who finished the AT and the PCT and others like him would be a good reference, their journals can be read at trailjournals.com. I recommend befriending any one of them and asking them what works. I made pemmican and sent it to my friend on the trail, but that wasn't possible all the time. While doing it totally primal would be the ideal way to go, not sure its going to work in the long run unfortunately. Good luck.
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Jen AlcesAlces is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainer View Post
    A good friend of mine who finished the AT and the PCT and others like him would be a good reference, their journals can be read at trailjournals.com. I recommend befriending any one of them and asking them what works. I made pemmican and sent it to my friend on the trail, but that wasn't possible all the time. While doing it totally primal would be the ideal way to go, not sure its going to work in the long run unfortunately. Good luck.
    Now that's a good friend - someone who will make pemmican and send it out to you on the trail. If there were a primal delivery service, I'd be all over that.

ETA: I've thought about fishing my way along the trail, but that takes some time, not to mention stinking like fresh fish in bear country. Anyway, JediGrok, keep us posted when you can!
    Last edited by Jen AlcesAlces; 03-26-2011 at 01:43 PM.

eisenreich is offline Member

Jedi Grok is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen AlcesAlces View Post
    My current list...

Gear & Weight in oz
    ULA Circuit Med Pack 38
    2.5mm Compactor Bag - Pack Liner 2.2
    Medium Neoair Sleeping Pad 12.65
    Montbell Pillow 2.4
    WM Ultralite 6' Sleeping Bag 29.6
    Stuff Sack for Sleeping Bag 13L 1.5
    Pack & Sleeping Total 86.35

UDAP Bear Spray 9.2oz 12.65
    Ursack & odor-proof sack 18
    Guyot Designs Spork/Spatula 0.7
    Titanium cup 2.05
    Nalgene Bottle 5.9
    Aquafina Bottle 1.65
    Bear, Food, and Water Total 40.95

Stuff Sack for Clothes 1.25
    Wool Hiking Socks 8.05
    3 pairs underwear 2.95
    REI Woman's Synthetic Tee M 3.95
    REI Midweight Top M 7.5
    REI Midweight Pants 6.4
    Shorts/Skirt 4.95
    REI Rendezvous convertible pants 12.5
    Montbell UL DOWN INNER PARKA 7.45
    Seirus Wool/Fleece Hat 2.05
    Fleece Mittens 2.3
    Buff (Scarf, headband, bandana hybrid) 1.5
    Marmot Women's Essence Rain Jacket L 6.4
    Red Lodge Women's Rain Pants L 7.1
    Mosquito Head Net 0.55
    Clothing Total 74.9

Swiss Army Knife (w/tweezers, corkscrew, scissors, etc) 2.6
    Sunglasses & lightweight case 2.15
    Petzl Tikka Headlamp 2.6
    Microfiber towel 0.85
    Sage 0.05
    Matches Waterproof 0.3
    Cell phone & charger 6.35
    Misc Tools Total 14.9

Ziploc for toiletries 0.05
    Small Round Mirror & Cover 0.65
    Hand Sanitizer 0.8
    Misc Female Stuff… 3.1
    Chapstick Unscented 0.3
    Comb 0.5
    SPF 15 Facial Lotion 0.45
    Diamox, Antihistamine, Rx + ziploc 1.1
    Passport/$$/etc 1.5
    Toilet Paper & ziploc 3.85
    Toiletries & Personal Items 12.3

Montrail Mountain Masochist Trail Running Shoes (?)
    Camp shoes (?)
    Gossamer Gear LT4 Hiking Poles 7.2
    Shoes & Poles Total 7.2
    TOTAL 236.6

Still testing the shoes... I really like my Montrails, but decided to go up another 1/2 size... need to weigh the new ones. Also, camp shoes... I keep looking between water shoes and something like Crocs/Waldies. I hear those are super comfy when your feet ache.

My hiking partner carries the shelter, water treatment & stove, and in exchange I carry most of the food. Here's the shelter & stove info:
    Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo & all required stakes, lines, groundsheet 49.95
    Snowpeak GigaTi Stove & Fuel Canister* 16.4
    First Need Water Purifier** 21
    Evernew Titanium 1.3L Uncoated Pot & Lid 4.9
    * We have also been using an alcohol stove with a sidewinder wind screen, but haven't decided for sure whether to go with canister or alcohol stoves
    ** We are experimenting with a new lighter system... The First Need is awesome (you could purify swamp goo and it would taste great), but it is heavy and gets clogged too easily. More research to be done.

Also up for grabs as to who packs:
    4oz Dr. Bronner's Unscented Soap in Container 4.7
    Toothbrush 0.45
    Toothpaste 1.1
    Deodorant 3.8
    First Aid Kit with Repair Kits in Ziploc 10
    TOTAL 20.05

Sorry if that's not as easy to read as yours, it's a work in progress.

Couple of thoughts on your list though... Still comparing though
    * Sleeping bag liner... what kind do you use? Going SOBO, we'll need to worry about cold temperatures in CO toward the end of our trip. Been thinking I'll need more warmth, as my bag is 20F, but I tend to sleep cold.
    * Fishing gear! We sometimes bring a fishing rod & reel too, but thinking of how to do this for the long haul. Will you keep yours the whole time?

Excellent gear list! You've got a nice lightweight setup!

I know what I am forgetting now! A pillow! And a camp towel!
    I'd like to upgrade my sleeping bag someday to a WM down, would save me a couple pounds! How do you like those REI Midweights? My heavyweights seem like there midweights warmth wise. I almost bought a Seirus hat, how do you like yours? A suggestion on stoves, I'd take both alchy and canister. Most alchy stoves i've encountered weigh under an ounce and fuel is really easy to get (from what I hear). Just isn't as fast to cook with as a canister stove.

My sleeping bag liner is a Sea to Summit reactor thermolite bag, supposedly it adds 15 degrees of warmth which I feel it does add some warmth to the bag. They make another liner that is beefer, adds up to 25 degrees of added warmth.

Fishing Gear - Yup I plan on keeping my rod and reel with me the whole time. I hear theres good fishing in Maine! Its very small and lightweight. Here is a LINK to the setup I bought. I added 2x spinner bait and a couple hooks too.

I am contemplating on a pellet gun pistol to hunt small critters with for extra protein

Your list looks really complete and well thought out. If it wasn't for the internet I think my backpack would weight in at over 60+ pounds of useless gear Always good to compare and share suggestions with each other!

Your friend must have made an awesome meal to earn that name!

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    I've been wanting to do the Trail ever since I read Bill Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods."
    I just finally finished that book this weekend. I think I picked it up based on a recommendation I saw here. It was very entertaining!

lonewolfTKD is offline Junior Member
    Are you kidding?! Don’t bring a pellet gun! Leave only footprints dude.

Jedi Grok is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolfTKD View Post
    Are you kidding?! Don’t bring a pellet gun! Leave only footprints dude.
    Don't worry, I have Jedi like accuracy. My pellets will fly true into thine animals. I shall use bones to make spears, fur to make clothing and meat for Grok fuel!

Whats wrong with bringing a pellet gun pistol anyways? Only negative I see is added weight. Positives would be being able to hunt for food, and it would be a source of entertainment as I love to hunt.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    A friend of mine's husband will bedoing his third and final stretch of the AT this summer. He hikes alone and has taken 6 weeks for each of the southern and central legs of the trip. He'snot primal so I don't know that his food recommendations would help.

How about powdered eggs?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast