Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Appalachian Trail Thru Hike page 2

Jedi Grok is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    the website i linked above asserts:

vacuum-sealing just takes out any extra air to prevent contamination and makes it much easier to carry (because it makes the packets smaller/flatter/etc. i also assume it can help things keep.

fermented veggies tend to keep for a very long time -- they have an 8 month life span if in cool conditions (fridge, basement, root cellar). but they won't go bad in a week/etc in terms of shipping/carrying on a hike. usually, they just get more fermenty, which is good for ya.

dried fruit leather (and i bet you could add veggie leathers to it!) keep for a long time due to sugar content. i don't know how long, but they have a good shelf life.
    Excellent advice, probably wont be able to do much of this for my upcoming hike ( will defiantly try to make some pemmican or just plain deer jerky) but this is good info for possible hikes in the future.

Oh and yes I will tell you my trail name, if it isn't to embarrassing...

mikeyt is offline Senior Member
    we're just back from a 3 day hike in north Wales, it was cold wet and hilly - perfect

it's our first hike since I went primal about a month back and I was amazed how little I ate! We had a big breakfast each day (bacon) then I was fine till lunch (meat & nuts) and again no snacking till dinner (re-hydrated ration packs, leaving the carbs to my wife). I guess my body must be burning it's own fuel rather than relying on hourly energy bars or crackers. We walked slightly slower than normal, but really not much. Experiment with it in the run-up to your big trip, you might be surprised too!

Jen AlcesAlces is offline Senior Member
    Hi Jedi Grok,
    Have only done a short hike on the AT, but it was very cool. You are going to have a blast! Would love to get all 3 trails under my belt someday. My NOBO friend started March 1, in the snow. They are taking it a bit easy at first, so if you catch up with him... his name is SuperChef, haha, say hello.

I'm at 30-35 fully loaded (for 8-9 days), but have a hiking partner which helps to share the shelter & cooking supply weight. I'm still working on the food, and definitely will bring dried fruit, nuts, olive oil, tuna, salmon, chicken pouches, along with a bunch of dehydrated veggies to add to everything - I have a dehydrator, but bought these from Barry Farms and Harmony House.

I have been researching pemmican & plan to make some batches soon... also the coconut oil sounds good, maybe it comes in small containers hmmm. Luckily I have a few months (going SOBO). As for the carbs, my stomach doesn't like wheaty food, so I am relying more on rice and legumes for carbs, have some really good freeze dried refried beans. I'm also looking into making sweet potato bark, or something like that... I already do have dehydrated sweet potatoes from Harmony House, but they require a long soak (they are good!) I've faced the fact that hiking 15-20 miles a day with a full pack will require more carbs than I am used to having, so some compromise is in order. And when I get to Pie Town, NM... I will definitely be eating PIE and lots of it!

I'll post my gear list, just need to find the latest version. I keep changing some things, like camp shoes... yes or no. So much to think about. Yes, I would love to see your gear list for the same reason, also curious how different the AT needs are. Someday I'd really like to see the 100 mile wilderness in Maine... supposed to be a lot of moose (aka Alces Alces Americana) there. I'm jealous!

(Sorry I can ramble about this stuff for hours... haha)
    Last edited by Jen AlcesAlces; 03-17-2011 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Added more rambling about backpacking

Jedi Grok is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen AlcesAlces View Post
    Hi Jedi Grok,
    Have only done a short hike on the AT, but it was very cool. You are going to have a blast! Would love to get all 3 trails under my belt someday. My NOBO friend started March 1, in the snow. They are taking it a bit easy at first, so if you catch up with him... his name is SuperChef, haha, say hello.

I'm at 30-35 fully loaded (for 8-9 days), but have a hiking partner which helps to share the shelter & cooking supply weight. I'm still working on the food, and definitely will bring dried fruit, nuts, olive oil, tuna, salmon, chicken pouches, along with a bunch of dehydrated veggies to add to everything - I have a dehydrator, but bought these from Barry Farms and Harmony House.

I have been researching pemmican & plan to make some batches soon... also the coconut oil sounds good, maybe it comes in small containers hmmm. Luckily I have a few months (going SOBO). As for the carbs, my stomach doesn't like wheaty food, so I am relying more on rice and legumes for carbs, have some really good freeze dried refried beans. I'm also looking into making sweet potato bark, or something like that... I already do have dehydrated sweet potatoes from Harmony House, but they require a long soak (they are good!) I've faced the fact that hiking 15-20 miles a day with a full pack will require more carbs than I am used to having, so some compromise is in order. And when I get to Pie Town, NM... I will definitely be eating PIE and lots of it!

I'll post my gear list, just need to find the latest version. I keep changing some things, like camp shoes... yes or no. So much to think about. Yes, I would love to see your gear list for the same reason, also curious how different the AT needs are. Someday I'd really like to see the 100 mile wilderness in Maine... supposed to be a lot of moose (aka Alces Alces Americana) there. I'm jealous!

(Sorry I can ramble about this stuff for hours... haha)

Hey sorry I havn't replied in days... very busy at work and has left me tired everyday ( Can't wait to get away from work for 4+ months )

Your friend will be a good month+ ahead of me but who knows we might meet. Did he get that name on the trail or before going?

Yea my gear list changes a lot, should I take this or get something lighter or not take it at all? Haha it is fun to do though.

All the bold numbers are in ounces

Shelter + Backpack

Casper sleep bag 15 degree 62.7 oz
    Flash 65 52.2
    MSR Hubba tent 52.1
    bigangus sleep pad 26.2
    Sleep bag liner 9.2*

Clothing 103.4

rei convertable pants 12.9
    rei heavyweight top 9.9
    rocky midweight therm 9.1 probably leave this home
    rei heavyweight bottoms 8.9
    sahara longsleeve top 8.1
    lightweight wool sockx2 6.2
    heavyweight wool sock 5.4
    Facemask 2.1
    REI Glove Liners 1.6
    Neck gaiter 1.1
    Cabelas 750down vest 12.4
    Rain jacket 13.4
    Rain pants 12.3

Cook kit 25.73

Katdyn water filter 15.5
    Alcohol Stove 0.59
    Wind screen 0.9
    Fuel bottle full 4.6
    Evernew pot 30floz 4.14

Electronics kit

Cell Phone 5.3
    USB Cable for phone 0.7
    Brunton power pack 5.5
    SPOT 5.5
    Camera 5+
    Camera charger

toilet kit 22.5

All purpose soap 5.1
    chapstick 0.3
    moist toilet wipes 2.3
    wet hand wipes 2.6
    half bottle hand sanitizer 1.6
    small tube sunscreen 1.3
    ziplock 0.2
    half roll toilet paper + zip 1.4
    Bug repellent spray 7.5* probably leave this at home and buy some when I really start to need it

Tool kit
    22.1*

50ft para cord 1.2
    fish line + hooks 1.1
    whistle+thermometer+compass+magnifer 1.0
    small multitool 2.3
    Sog trident fold knife 3.5
    Personal defense 12.4
    zip lock 0.2
    pocket Shovel 4.7
    pen fishing rod 2.5 I love fishing
    lightweight spin reel 5

first aid kit 6.7

half bottle benadryl spray 1.6
    2 packets emergen-c 0.7
    6 bandaides 0.2
    potable aqua tabs 1.1
    small tube neosporin 0.7
    aquamira straw filter 0.5
    tube of cortizone 0.9
    tweezers 0.2
    ziplock 0.2

hygeine kit 3.4

small deodorant 1.3
    small toothpaste 0.9
    small toothbrush 0.4
    small toenail clippers 0.4
    zip lock 0.2

fire kit

waterproof matches 0.3
    4 esbit type cubes 0.6
    firesteel 0.9
    bic 0.5
    ziplock 0.2

Footwear 98.1

NB AT shoes 30.3* going to wear my boots till they fall apart then wear these. will use these as a camp shoe in the mean time
    Bates Boots dirty mud 67.8 These were covered in mud (dry mud) when i weighed them.

Not all the weights are 100% correct. A few items have been changed but forgot to change weights. It all comes to about 22-25 lbs though with no food or water and about 40 lbs with food for a 5+ days and 3 liters of water.

When it gets warmer at nights I'll probably send my sleeping bag home, that will cut 4 lbs. I'm pretty sure my clothing and bag liner would keep me comfortable down to 45ish degrees.

Would love to see your list!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I've been wanting to do the Trail ever since I read Bill Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods."

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    I've been wanting to do the Trail ever since I read Bill Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods."
    That is a hilarious book... highly recommend it for anyone who wants to hike a long trail. Or anyone that likes to laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Grok View Post
    Hey sorry I havn't replied in days... very busy at work and has left me tired everyday ( Can't wait to get away from work for 4+ months )

Your friend will be a good month+ ahead of me but who knows we might meet. Did he get that name on the trail or before going?
    I hear ya... plus getting the list set takes so much time... mine is really not 100% yet, will explain when I post it.

My friend got that name on the trail, the first night... he has been blogging about it when he can. His name is actually SupaChef, not SuperChef... I stand corrected. List coming soon.

My current list...

Gear & Weight in oz
    ULA Circuit Med Pack 38
    2.5mm Compactor Bag - Pack Liner 2.2
    Medium Neoair Sleeping Pad 12.65
    Montbell Pillow 2.4
    WM Ultralite 6' Sleeping Bag 29.6
    Stuff Sack for Sleeping Bag 13L 1.5
    Pack & Sleeping Total 86.35

UDAP Bear Spray 9.2oz 12.65
    Ursack & odor-proof sack 18
    Guyot Designs Spork/Spatula 0.7
    Titanium cup 2.05
    Nalgene Bottle 5.9
    Aquafina Bottle 1.65
    Bear, Food, and Water Total 40.95

Stuff Sack for Clothes 1.25
    Wool Hiking Socks 8.05
    3 pairs underwear 2.95
    REI Woman's Synthetic Tee M 3.95
    REI Midweight Top M 7.5
    REI Midweight Pants 6.4
    Shorts/Skirt 4.95
    REI Rendezvous convertible pants 12.5
    Montbell UL DOWN INNER PARKA 7.45
    Seirus Wool/Fleece Hat 2.05
    Fleece Mittens 2.3
    Buff (Scarf, headband, bandana hybrid) 1.5
    Marmot Women's Essence Rain Jacket L 6.4
    Red Lodge Women's Rain Pants L 7.1
    Mosquito Head Net 0.55
    Clothing Total 74.9

Swiss Army Knife (w/tweezers, corkscrew, scissors, etc) 2.6
    Sunglasses & lightweight case 2.15
    Petzl Tikka Headlamp 2.6
    Microfiber towel 0.85
    Sage 0.05
    Matches Waterproof 0.3
    Cell phone & charger 6.35
    Misc Tools Total 14.9

Ziploc for toiletries 0.05
    Small Round Mirror & Cover 0.65
    Hand Sanitizer 0.8
    Misc Female Stuff… 3.1
    Chapstick Unscented 0.3
    Comb 0.5
    SPF 15 Facial Lotion 0.45
    Diamox, Antihistamine, Rx + ziploc 1.1
    Passport/$$/etc 1.5
    Toilet Paper & ziploc 3.85
    Toiletries & Personal Items 12.3

Montrail Mountain Masochist Trail Running Shoes (?)
    Camp shoes (?)
    Gossamer Gear LT4 Hiking Poles 7.2
    Shoes & Poles Total 7.2
    TOTAL 236.6

Still testing the shoes... I really like my Montrails, but decided to go up another 1/2 size... need to weigh the new ones. Also, camp shoes... I keep looking between water shoes and something like Crocs/Waldies. I hear those are super comfy when your feet ache.

My hiking partner carries the shelter, water treatment & stove, and in exchange I carry most of the food. Here's the shelter & stove info:
    Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo & all required stakes, lines, groundsheet 49.95
    Snowpeak GigaTi Stove & Fuel Canister* 16.4
    First Need Water Purifier** 21
    Evernew Titanium 1.3L Uncoated Pot & Lid 4.9
    * We have also been using an alcohol stove with a sidewinder wind screen, but haven't decided for sure whether to go with canister or alcohol stoves
    ** We are experimenting with a new lighter system... The First Need is awesome (you could purify swamp goo and it would taste great), but it is heavy and gets clogged too easily. More research to be done.

Also up for grabs as to who packs:
    4oz Dr. Bronner's Unscented Soap in Container 4.7
    Toothbrush 0.45
    Toothpaste 1.1
    Deodorant 3.8
    First Aid Kit with Repair Kits in Ziploc 10
    TOTAL 20.05

Sorry if that's not as easy to read as yours, it's a work in progress.

Couple of thoughts on your list though... Still comparing though
    * Sleeping bag liner... what kind do you use? Going SOBO, we'll need to worry about cold temperatures in CO toward the end of our trip. Been thinking I'll need more warmth, as my bag is 20F, but I tend to sleep cold.
    * Fishing gear! We sometimes bring a fishing rod & reel too, but thinking of how to do this for the long haul. Will you keep yours the whole time?
    Last edited by Jen AlcesAlces; 03-23-2011 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Added water treatment

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Just learn to hunt and get your own food.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    My Geology Prof just did the Trail and now he wants to do the europe peice.
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast