Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wondering how to heal from IBS & get an energy boost out of paleo diet page 2

Primal Woman is offline Junior Member
    Thank you, Zoebird, so wonderful of you to show me ... and I see it's about plugging in numbers where they should go .

Prime, thank you for your comments ... I think I'm going to do a strict paleo/candida diet for awhile because I definitely have yeast in my system ... which means no yogurt or almond butter or even almond meal for a while ... until my body feels right again, if that makes any sense. I'm using Healing Naturally by Bee if you're interested ... I also link to her from my blog. I know ... these stomach problems are just so uncool ... but I'm learning to listen to my body for once ... so I hope I AM on the right track.
    http://modernpaleowoman.blogspot.com
    where a modern mom re-discovers the paleo way of eating so as to balance mind, body, & spirit

slacker is offline Senior Member
    My take: No grains, no corn, no soy, and no derivatives of any of that, like malto-dextrin, soy protein isolate, etc, etc. No artificial anything, Definitely coconut oil. Definitely vitamin D and K2 and your minerals and C. Make sure any A you take is beta-caroteene never retinol. Yes to good fish oil. Enough protein. Good fats. All that will go a long way to giving your gut its best possible chance to be happy and healthy.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Woman View Post
    Since returning to the paleo diet, I'm still battling with tiredness (comes and goes) and bloating. This morning my doctor told me I have IBS, so that could be part of the problem as well. ..
    IBS troubleshooting can be difficult. IBS is a bit of a catch-all, meaning "we really don't know what it is."

Some things you can do right away, some things you may want to find the right dr to help, because you need a complete blood test.

Things to do right away-

Get plenty of rest. Get good sleep. Google melatonin and use it to get better sleep. (That is as close as you can get to Primal, since melatonin is how your body manages your sleep patterns).
    If you have things that cause stress, work them out.

Things you should get some dr's advice on based on blood tests-

IBS is stressful. It taxes your immunity. It can drain you of key vitamins. You can go out and get vitamin D and take 2,000IU a day, some strong source of B12, and some other things, but if you don't know what your levels are, you are going to be guessing. This requires a doctor that is willing to help you look and make good decisions.

If you are sensitive to sugar, you may be insulin resistant, which can also come with high triglycerides, and hormonal imbalances. I think you would want to know more, like could it be thyroid, and don't use a doctor that only looks at TSH, you want to know what T3 and T4 are too. Too many only look at TSH and the standard levels and the tests are unreliable.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Primal Woman is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi, Slacker & DFH! Thank you so much for your comments. Slacker, I agree with everything you say regarding what I should add to my diet, and most of them I already have added. DFH, you're right about IBS being stressful and taxing my immunity ... I've been feeling sluggish for some time now, but I'm already beginning to feel better, and my bloating is beginning to go away. I think I was eating many veggies that were agitating it. I do need to find a good doctor, but I go to a volunteer clinic, so my choices are limited, if you know what I mean. Maybe I can still find a good doctor to help me though.

I'll keep you posted on what happens. Thanks again for all the great advice.
    http://modernpaleowoman.blogspot.com
    where a modern mom re-discovers the paleo way of eating so as to balance mind, body, & spirit

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12