Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheat night: beer & wings page

lavascript is offline Junior Member

Cheat night: beer & wings

I'm going out with some friends tonight and I'm going to try to minimize my cheating as much as possible. But I don't want to be "that freak in the corner eating salad." On the surface, Buffalo wings don't seem all that non-Primal. Am I missing something? A couple of light beers will add some carbs, though.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    The beer will also have gluten from the barley. The sauce might if it came from a bottle. Mostly it's the sugar content and non-primal oils there. Doesn't seem like a horrible cheat to me as long as you're not avoiding grains/gluten for other health reasons.

ennasirk is offline Senior Member
    Wings are my go-to low-ish carb option at a pizza joint. Sometimes they're breaded/fried, but typically they're not, and are a decent choice.
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I would think the wings are a better option than the beer. Could you do wings and instead of beer have a couple shots of tequila? Robb Wolf recommends the "NorCal Margherita" which is essentially a shot of tequila, lime juice and ice. After a couple of those just drink water. That way you aren't the kill joy at the party and you can still partake in the fun. Beer is just a bad option since it normally has wheat in it.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

lavascript is offline Junior Member
    Tequila sounds lovely, but I have to drive home. I'm planning to limit my beers to two for the same reason. I realize there's wheat in there, and gluten, and whatever else. But I'm not particularly sensitive.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I do wing night with the family once a month. I don't exactly consider it a cheat unless I eat fries or drink. Generally, the hotter the sauce, the less "other stuff" is in it. Sometimes though I just order plain with salt- which is also pretty good. I sometimes eat the blue cheese dressing (except the last time. They changed brands and it was horrid and sweet.)

I generally don't drink. I had been allowing a light beer or two, but it made me puff right up so I cut it out. If they offered a decent red wine I'd have gotten that.

BStoneFitz is offline Member
    I've done a tequila on the rocks with a bunch of limes in it and it worked well. I too had to drive after but wanted to enjoy a beverage. By doing the stronger choice, I drank it slower and was quick with a water afterwards so I did feel good to drive. I've done the light beer thing with the low-carb rationale. To me, it's not the wheat and gluten in beer that derailed me... it's that beer is the gateway drink! As soon as I enjoy a beer, I start getting the itch to dive in to more food and darker beer thinking "what's one night... might as well enjoy it." Then I don't sleep well and kick myself over it thinking I didn't have to go nuts. That's the kinda person I am... don't do well with moderation on certain things so I try to avoid them best I can. With red wine and tequila on the rocks, I can have 1-2 and not want anymore.

Supersonic is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    I would think the wings are a better option than the beer. Could you do wings and instead of beer have a couple shots of tequila? Robb Wolf recommends the "NorCal Margherita" which is essentially a shot of tequila, lime juice and ice. After a couple of those just drink water. That way you aren't the kill joy at the party and you can still partake in the fun. Beer is just a bad option since it normally has wheat in it.
    I heard vodka was a good alternative. What say you? I received a tequila bottle as a gift and it has lots of sugar and carbs.
    "You can have it all, but how much do you want it?"

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    Drink your beer and enjoy the hell out of it. I'd avoid the light beer like the plague, but that's me. I drink so little any more, when I do
    I'm going for IPA, porter or stout. Couple of beers once in awhile isn't going to derail you. I love tequila but doesn't sound good with wings.

Max[imilian] is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    I do wing night with the family once a month. I don't exactly consider it a cheat unless I eat fries or drink. Generally, the hotter the sauce, the less "other stuff" is in it. Sometimes though I just order plain with salt- which is also pretty good. I sometimes eat the blue cheese dressing (except the last time. They changed brands and it was horrid and sweet.)

I generally don't drink. I had been allowing a light beer or two, but it made me puff right up so I cut it out. If they offered a decent red wine I'd have gotten that.
    Exactly what I was going to say, the hotter the better. You might be taking in more sodium than you want (depending on the sauce), but that's better than sugar and lots of unpronounceable additives.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast