Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Want to increase carbs, recommendations much appreciated page

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member

Want to increase carbs, recommendations much appreciated

Shop Now
    Hi,
    I'm really pleased with the results of cutting down carbs and upping fats, in terms of improved blood sugar stability. However, I have been doing this since August including a whole30 and have got progressively more fatigued and low. I can't eat fruit as it is too sugary for me, in the past I have done better with wholegrain carbs.

I'd like to try adding in small amounts of starchier foods, whilst keeping fats high. I hope then I might get the best of both worlds- satiety/ steady blood sugar, and more energy and better mood. Worth a try anyway. Not like going back to before where I are relatively low fat and lots of carbs and was having blood sugar crashes no matter how much I ate (including tons of protein).

What would you recommend as the least bad things to add. I am thinking sweet potatoes, potatoes, squash, parsnips, rice? I am strictly gluten free so will be staying well away from wheat, brley and rye etc. How about non-grains like buckwheat and quinoa, and kidney beans, lentils etc? I am considering trying soaking and treating grains ala Weston A Price.

Thanks very much
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Joe B is offline Member
    Robb Wolf talked about legumes in his last podcast and said that the process that you have to go through in order to get rid of the toxins and make them fine to eat on a regular basis is not worth it if you want to eat the regularly. I think he also said that quinoa and buckwheat are not much better at all (not in the same podcast), not sure. The first four suggestions are good, however I'd favor sweet potatoes over regular potatoes. Not too sure about rice, hoping someone else can chime in with good info.

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
    Not too sure about rice, hoping someone else can chime in with good info.
    I agree with what you said. As long as you're OK with nightshades, regular spuds are fine. Make sure you peel them. Almost all of the glycoalkaloids are in or near the skin. Rice is fine as long as it's white. Avoid brown rice. Too funny. Rice is not nearly as nutritious as sweet potatoes or even white potatoes, so don't make it a staple.

Gordo

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I also vote sweet potatoes and starchy veggies.

Joe B is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gordo View Post
    I agree with what you said. As long as you're OK with nightshades, regular spuds are fine. Make sure you peel them. Almost all of the glycoalkaloids are in or near the skin. Rice is fine as long as it's white. Avoid brown rice. Too funny. Rice is not nearly as nutritious as sweet potatoes or even white potatoes, so don't make it a staple.

Gordo
    I totally forgot about peeling the skin, thanks for mentioning that.

darkersolace is offline Senior Member
    I think going with starchy veggies and just forgetting about grains altogether would be ideal, but that being said I am seriously missing my legumes right now and have some dried pintos at home waiting to be soaked and cooked. I haven't eaten legumes of any sort since I went Primal, but I'm hoping I can incorporate properly-prepared beans on occasion without issue (I ate them religiously prior to PB, so here's hoping!).
    5'6" 27 y/o female, Primal 6 months and counting.

CW: 160 -- in single-digit dress sizes for the first time in 12 years!

GW: 150 -- for swimsuit season

Cassandra is offline Senior Member
    I went for several years subbing with all of the gluten free grain foods to try and stay 'normal'. I slowly gained weight with all of them. My blood sugar and energy levels were a mess. Plus, I didn't realize I was still having some side effects from them until I stopped eating them. So, not worth eating them for me. I went without the potatoes and rice as well until I started losing weight. Now I have them once or week or so but they are a very small portion of my meal.
    I've noticed with eating them in small amounts they have helped with my energy levels. I haven't had any problems with weight gain adding them back in.
    Now, beans are a different story for both me and Jar-head. We ate some a few weeks ago and both of us were sick. so not trying those again.
    I learned a valuable lesson with the first steer I sent to slaughter. I should have named him Hamburger and not Snookers.

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    Sweet potatoes, peeled white potatoes, white rice.

Personally, I often choose white rice. White potatoes make my joints crack (no pain, but I don't think it's anything good) and sweet potatoes are spendy.

I get plenty of nutrition with everything else in my diet and am not worried about the "empty calories" in the rice.

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkersolace View Post
    I am seriously missing my legumes right now and have some dried pintos at home waiting to be soaked and cooked.
    We eat beans every couple of weeks. Soak 'em good, cook 'em slow, and enjoy.

Gordo

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gordo View Post
    We eat beans every couple of weeks. Soak 'em good, cook 'em slow, and enjoy.

Gordo
    ...unless they're red kidney beans, in which case soak them, boil them hard for 10 minutes in fresh water, then cook them slow. You need that much hard boiling to destroy the toxins in kidney beans. (Not sure, but I think it's the same for soya.)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast