Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Girl Living in a Fat World page

teelea is offline Senior Member

Cool Primal Girl Living in a Fat World

Primal Fuel
    In two months, May 17th, I will turn 34 years old – and on this day I will be marking the end of my 34-year battle with weight, once and for all.

I am a 34 years old, I live with my partner (who reminds me daily why older men are better) and two daughters (that drive me crazy) ages 11 and 7- I work full time (for "the man"), attend University part time (for the eye candy) , and any time not taken up by family, work, and school is quickly filled by my commitment to my local community (including a campaign to change the school lunch system in my school district rootednation.org – shameless plug ☺ ).

My entire family is obese. I’ve watched my mother struggle with her weight my entire life – I’ll never forget the leotards and leg warmers, my father severely obese and is currently suffering from the effects of heart disease and type 2 diabetes – and yes he has a hoveround, my brother is 6’6”, well over 300 pounds and suffers from alcoholism and depression, and my sister just had weight loss surgery after getting tired of the weight struggle (I’m a little jealous!).

So yes, many people would say I have the deck stacked against me – little time to spare, and average income, and bad genes. But, as usual in my life, I disagree with conventional wisdom

4 .5 years ago – at the height of my weight struggle – I weighed in at 275 pounds. I woke up one day and literally looked in the mirror and said, “Who the f*** are you?!?” After six years of losing my identity to my spouse and my children (no offense to spouses or children) I had enough. This was the beginning of my long, rocky, IED covered road to find my key to health and fitness.

I quit my job (kind of), went back to school, ended the dead end marriage, and began the (single) life I was meant to lead. I made a promise to myself that I would break a cycle of obesity and depression in my family so that my daughters would not have to live the same struggles as I had.

After two years I was working my dream job and had dropped down to 185 pounds using the conventional wisdom of “calories in, calories out”. But for the past two years I have struggled to continue progress and have managed to wiggle back in forth with 25 pounds or so and currently sit at 200 pounds.

Let’s get one thing straight – I am by no means a fat and lazy person. Even at the weight I am at today I consider myself to be stronger, fitter, and healthier (even by primal standards) than 90% of the people I know! I can remember being the largest of my friends (wearing a size 12-14) in high school and at the same time was the most active and “healthy” out of the crew. And with the exception of the two years prior to the height of my weight struggle, I have always led a somewhat “healthful” life and have never understood why my weight was such a struggle for me – until the last year.

Last year a friend suggested I read “7 Principles of Fat Burning” by Dr. Berg. This was my first exposure to the whole crazy idea of sugar, carbs, and processed foods creating a hormonal imbalance in your body that makes you fat. I found the documentaries like Food Inc., Killer at Large, Fat Head, Dive!, Food Matters, and others that exposed me to the food crisis in America. Then I was told about Gary Taubes – watching a video of him speaking to a group of obesity DOCTORS who did not know about these concepts. I promptly read Gary’s book, “Why We Get Fat”. My journey came full circle when I found the “Primal Blueprint” – a honest to goodness real life guide to applying these principles to your life.

And here I am – armed and dangerous!

Over the next two months I am committing to the following:

1. I’m throwing away my scale – I am so sick of tracking my weight and being disappointed by my ups and downs, so I am getting rid of it. I will keep track of my progress through my measurements, my energy level, and my clothes.

2. I am committing to my Primal Lifestyle – fitness and diet, tracking it here

3. I am throwing out expectations of what I should be – woah! That’s a biggie! I’d rather find out where the PB can take me than have expectations of where it should take me.

I’ve been practicing for a year – my cupboards have been free of processed foods for quite awhile, I already shop organic and grass fed etc. But now it is time to put all the aspects together and find out how fit I can be.

Speaking of which - it's time to go LHT!
    I'll give my daily update later.

Disclaimer: I have a horrible memory so it will be a challenge for me to remember to post every day!!!

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Right on! You're gonna do great! You are going to feel so good when your body adapts to living primal. Your story so far is inspiring, thank you for sharing.
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teelea View Post

3. I am throwing out expectations of what I should be – woah! That’s a biggie! I’d rather find out where the PB can take me than have expectations of where it should take me.
    What a concept! best of luck looks like all you need is time..

Did I follow the primal rules? Let's find out!

1. Eat lots of animals and plants
    Breakfast: 2 eggs, red peppers, red onion, broccoli, mushroom and a sprinkle of feta cheese. Coffee with splash of whole milk
    Snack: handful of almonds
    Lunch: Leftover grass fed burger with homemade coleslaw, lettuce, onion
    Snack: coffee with splash of whole milk - walked to starbucks to get it!
    Dinner: huge Vietnamese salad - celery, radish, cucumbers, basil, onions, cilantro, fish sauce, lime, carrots (all raw)
    Snack: handful of almonds

I even sliced up and started marinating my first batch of beef jerky between dinner and class.

2. Move around a lot at a slow pace
    I did my hour hike yesterday, but I did walk home from class tonight - about a 20 minute walk

3. Lift Heavy Things
    Today was my first time doing the 5 essentials!!! I spent Saturday skiing and had a run in with a hill and various parts of my body - so I had to take it a little easy...

I managed 2 reps of:
    25 wall assisted squats
    20 elevated jack knife presses - I found these easy and will try step 2 next time
    90 seconds of forearm/knee plank (I thought I could manage 90 seconds of a full plank since I am an Ashtangi - but noooo!)
    45 seconds of hand/knee side planks
    10 2 leg assisted pull ups
    20 wall push ups

We will see how I feel tomorrow

4. Run Really fast once in awhile
    Hmm... maybe tomorrow. We will see how I feel after my LHT!

5. Get Lots of Sleep
    This is my specialty. I do love my sleep - I'm already in bed.

6. Play
    I didn't get to do the physical play I would like to due to my schedule - but I did skip cooking the lamb I had out for dinner and did an impromptu Vietnamese dinner with my kids instead!

7. Get some sunlight every day
    Yes please! The sun came out for a nano second today - I was lucky enough to be outside when it did and even had to put on my shades.

8. Avoid Trauma
    Although I am still feeling my trauma from my first experience skiing on Saturday, today I managed to avoid any new trauma. +1 for me.

9. Avoid Poisonous Things
    Check!

10. Use your mind
    I solved problems at work, wrote my first journal, and took college level classes. My brain is overwhelmed

BecomeYourDream is offline Senior Member
    Good for you! I am inspired by you already. I cannot wait to see what you accomplish and I wish you all the luck in the world!
    MY "GET AWESOMELY FIT AND HEALTHY" JOURNAL!

"Become Your Dream" - De La Vega

"“The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights.” - Muhammad Ali

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Grok on!!!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Thanks for the encouragement all - it is much appreciated

So today I had to wake up via my alarm. I typically set it, but for a time that allows me to hopefully wake myself up first. Well - today it rang and my body was not appreciative. So, I laid in bed till my honey said my omelet was ready!

Breakfast: 2 eggs, red pepper, mushroom, broccoli, red onion, little feta, and black coffee - so delicious

I settled in and did some brain work - I love my job and it is challenging - so it counts! And then ate some almonds before hopping in the shower for a long one, including a nice shave. I know grokette didn't shave, but I think it follows the "look good naked" rule - and will assist in my play time later

I put my marinating jerky in the dehydrator before walking to the office.

The boss was buying lunch - pizza... so when he asked if I wanted some, I just happened to know that this particular place has a great greek salad and since I'm not one to pass up a free lunch, I replied, "no, but I'll have the large greek salad, thanks!" ya - I'm a pain in the arse, but I don't much care! Only draw back, I was so excited about my free lunch I forgot to ask to have them add chicken, but my salad was still delicious.

I walked to school - moving slowly - had two classes, PSY and PHL, more brain time - and walked back home. It was even sunny out, so I took off my jacket and enjoyed the rays!

Got home and saw that my jerky was done! YUMMM -

so I snacked on it while I made my lamb and BFS - big f'ing salad. (A BFS can have a theme, I'm still in the mood for greek, so tonight it is a greek BFS. But many times BFS's are just whatever needs to be eaten or it will go bad, and I find those are the best BFS's)

If you don't eat lamb, you are missing out. Lamb shanks and lamb steaks are incomparable - but ground lamb is cheap and easy. I buy ours from our farmers market for $2.50 lb. Just season it up and roll it into logs and throw it in the oven.

We eat a lot of ethnic food and my sweetie makes great tzatziki. All it is is garlic, dried cucumber, dill, lemon juice, and greek yogurt.

That's leftover oil and vinegar from lunch salad next to it

Put it all together and - holler!!

I did not injure myself today and my body is finally starting to feel like I am recuperating from my skiing accident!

Anyway tonight is more brain work (aka homework) and then off for some play time ....
    Last edited by teelea; 03-23-2011 at 07:05 AM.

Today was a rest day - but I got lots of sun and a bit of walking in - plus I did a quick play session with my youngest daughter pre boxing class!

Breakfast was the usual omlette
    Lunch was a BAS w chicken breast, boiled eggs and BACON! I used a tad of caesar dressing to dip my cucumbers in, but other than that I just used the artichoke hearts to flavor the salad.
    I had my first iced coffee with HWC - omg, omg. I will be having that again!
    I made a trip to the health food store for some ingredients needed to make butter chicken tomorrow night. We are having a guest over and I want to WOW them with my primalness.
    I got my favorite treat from the health food store - a spelt flour cookie made with succarat(sp?) oh ya baby. I only get one once a month or so and I love them.
    I also got my favorite nut to snack on - the raw pistachio. The little buggers aren't cheap - but I love sticking those little green nuts in my mouth and it IS St Pattys day
    Dinner was pad thai with no noodles - I use cabbage instead and it is a recipe so good I need to post it on the forums.
    I had a few more nuts before bed - and now I'm too tired to write more -
    Time for some primal rest!!

I wish I would have pre-planned for some corned beef and cabbage - next year

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teelea View Post
    Dinner was pad thai with no noodles - I use cabbage instead and it is a recipe so good I need to post it on the forums.
    Please do!

And congrats on your mindset (most important thing, really). You seem well on your way!
    "Oh, you wanted answers...yeah, sorry, I'm not so good with those. Uh, probably something to do with science or something..." -- canio6

August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

Sometimes blogging as The Primal Mind. (My unorthodox and filthy-mouthed journal is semi-retired at this point)

Kris C is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    LOVE your attitude!! I will be following along in your journey. Good luck to you!!
    Starting weight: 168 lbs
    Current weight: 168 lbs
    Goal weight: whatever makes me look strong and healthy!

Current goal: No More Muffin Top!!
    a real pushup, a real pull-up, weekly sprints

Visit my journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread76206.htmlKris' Place for Primal Rantings...because everyone else thinks she's nuts

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast