Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trouble with smashed cauliflower page

geostump is online now Senior Member

Trouble with smashed cauliflower

Shop Now
    Anyone have a good suggestion for making smashed cauliflower? I never seem to have much success with it. It seems to turn out runny for me. I do not use mayo in it. Not a fan of may.
    Georgette

annadragon is offline Junior Member
    What recipe are you following?
    Typically I steam mine then pour off any excess liquid. I will add my fat of choice -butter, bacon fat, even coconut oil then use my immersion blender to get a mashed potato style consistency. If you are using a masher (probably not the correct terminology for the kitchen tool, but I think you know what I mean) you may be releasing extra liquid as you mash.
    Maybe hold off on adding your fat, mash - drain, mash -drain, repeat til the extra liquid is gone then add your fat and mash a little more.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    I mash them, and then drain. Then I add a bit of cream cheese, small amount of butter, and chives. YUM!
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

I don't have a stick blender, just a regular one. I usually steam them in the microwave until soft then put in blender and some HWC, S&P and some butter and done. Do I want them to be super soft?
    Georgette

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Well my favorite way to do them is roasting them and then mashing them by hand. They are sort of chunky and not whipped. I never liked whipped potatoes either though, so maybe I'm not the one to be asking! lol
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

I like potatoes chunky as well. My problems come down to the family. I can handle the smashed cauliflower. Not too big a deal for me but I have to make mashed potatoes for them and I usually just buy the prepackaged stuff at the store. That way I am not too tempted to take a bite.
    Georgette

erica057 is offline Senior Member
    IME, it is important to use a steamer basket for cooking, and then let the cauli drain THOROUGHLY, like let it sit in a colander for 10 minutes.
    My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
    My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    I use a bamboo steamer (Asian style) over a water bath, that way the cauliflower cooks in about 10-15min with moist heat and is dry when it's time to mash. I've tried it microed and boiled and it always came out too runny, too much moisture.

I don't have a steamer basket. Is there anything I could substitute that with? What about a double boiler?
    Georgette

Yaish is offline Senior Member
    We just use a colander sitting in a large pan, and then drain it well. Cutting it up into small chunks first helps, as you don't have to steam it as long. Try adding cream cheese instead of HWC. It adds a great consistency and creamy flavor. A little butter for flavor, but not too much as it also adds water.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast