Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Love Duck Eggs! page

CaveMama is offline Member

I Love Duck Eggs!

Last week I bought some eggs from a farmer at a church I visited. He was selling them after church in the auditorium. We love eggs and we're always running out too fast. He had the cartons set up to include 8 chicken eggs and 4 duck eggs. Well, okay then....

The chicken eggs went first. Because I was scared of the duck eggs. The chicken eggs were AMAZING. The best eggs I've ever had (and I've had some mighty fine, pasture-raised eggs in my time).

I was scared of the duck eggs. They looked "normal" enough except they were THREE times the size of the chicken eggs.

I "googled" them. I worked up some courage. I fried up some bacon. Fried two duck eggs (OMG, they're eggs for GIANTS!) in the bacon fat. Put it all on a plate with some avocado and sriracha sauce.

I am very pleased! The yolk to egg-white proportion is different than chicken eggs -- more yolk in duck eggs! I love yolks. They are more rich and flavorful than chicken eggs. I love them.
    Last edited by CaveMama; 03-15-2011 at 12:07 PM.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Duck eggs are one of my favorite farmers market treats.

cookie is offline Senior Member
    psh, i hear ya, sisters. it is my fav farmers market treat as well. that giant, golf ball sized orange yolk and all of its flavor... jeez. i normally eat 3 fried eggs in the morning, and one duck egg normally does the trick. i hope i can find 'em soon, seems like the spring time is the only season that brings them around.

thepaleochild is offline Senior Member
    Why make it just a farmers market treat? You can easily get a pair of layers and toss 'em in your backyard. They're friendly, eat up all the bugs, slugs and toads and they just need a pool or pond.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Oooh I wanna try duck eggs SO badly!!! I will find some this summer, I WILL!
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

daveyace is offline Member
    i would love to try some! a man i used to work for used to have geese and he said the eggs were lovely

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I haven't had duck eggs yet, but this past weekend I got to try some goose eggs. They are also about 3 times the size of chicken. They were yolky and delicious.

bwhit is offline Senior Member
    Ever try quail eggs?

Elspeth is offline Senior Member
    I grew up on duck eggs... sometimes we'd get a "double yolker" I LOVED that.

I haven't had them since I was a teenager though.

aktres is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What are you paying? Last weekend at the Union Sq greenmarket regular eggs (cage free blah blah blah) were going for $8/dozen! Are you freaking kidding me? $8?!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast