Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lean gains and hypertrophy page

Spun is offline Member

lean gains and hypertrophy

Primal Fuel
    Sup everyone?

A quick question...At what rate can someone (35 yr old male) expect to gain muscle mass?

I am asking because despite my training (kettlebells, plyo work,skipping 25 mins a day) plus at least 5km walk, my ability to drop much more weight (fat) seems to have stagnated.

I am definitley noticing (I am not alone as others have felt compelled to comment) that I look leaner. Definition is increasing and pant size is decreasing. I have my diet pretty dialed in with a little indulgence on the weekend. Carbs are restrictedand and my eating window is from about 3 pm to 10 pm.

I don't normally care what the scale says, so long as I feel good. I feel like I should be dropping more weight, but is it possible that I am gaining muscle what I am losing in fat?

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I'd say it's certainly possible and even probably. If you're looking leaner and getting a smaller waist while not losing weight, then it almost has to be muscle gain and fat loss. You're doing it right! Keep it up! I don't know about a specific number for muscle gain, but in someone who's not new to weight training, it's usually really pretty slow.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Is your main goal to gain muscle or get leaner?

Thor Falk is offline Senior Member
    Depends what you are doing. Unless you are very skinny (in terms of muscles) to start with you wont build muscles on plyo, skipping, walking. You might build muscles on KB's, but you need to use the big one's (24kg+) and you would need to include some "grinding" work (get-ups, military presses), but even those are unlikely to get you very far.
    If you want to build muscles you need to do real weights (mainly squatting, with a target at least bodyweight; also deadlift & presses) and you also need to eat....

Spun is offline Member
    Is your main goal to gain muscle or get leaner? - to get leaner

I am not skinny - I am 5'11" and 203lbs. The skipping/plyostuff is to get leaner. The kettlebells are for strength. I basically do every movement you can thinkof with them. I also do alot of bodyweight stuff (pushups/squats/dips etc.)

Based on what I am able to do, I beleieve my conditioning to be fairly good. I am not using terribly heavy weights (24 kg KB's and my body weight) so I was unsure if was possible that I am building muscle.

neandertal is offline Member
    Ok so you need to get leaner look into KB circuits and HIIT cardio like sprints although I like other stuff than sprints.

Look into olympic lifts like snatches and jump squats as they will force huge hromonal and cns stimulation.

in terms of IF you also have to do low carb days etc.

I do not do that but I guess I am happy where I stand and do not feel less fat is necessary.

Try fat loss aiding supps I would recommend vit d3 along with a product like bioforge (forskolin baby) from biotivia or anabolic addiction's mass addiction, also look into a transresveratrol product and a yohimbine type fat burner that will tremendusly aid you in fastened fat burning.

Do not forget bcaas and eaas.
    Biotivia
    Transmax
    BioForge
    BioForge Pro Max Phase II
    BioQuench

You can definitely build muscle with bodyweight exercise (just look at the Barbarians! [although I don't know for sure if they don'y also weight train]). And I think with a 24kg kettlebell you could DEFINITELY build some muscle. I'm not very experienced at all with KBs, but that seems pretty heavy to me.

neandertal is offline Member
    I think barbarian were warriors they ate cereal drunk milk and lifted stuff not doing bodyweight stuff at leas not alone bow and arrow, shield, sword or mace are all weights
    Biotivia
    Transmax
    BioForge
    BioForge Pro Max Phase II
    BioQuench

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    As far as muscle gains go that depends a lot of variables. Without taking steroids the maximum rate of gaining muscle for under optimum conditions is around a pound or two per month given proper nutrition and full body workouts. There are three general body types and each of us is some mix of the three. They are ectomorph, mesomorph, and endomorph. Ectos are classic "hard gainers" they don't put on muscle very fast but they also don't tend to store fat quickly either. Mesos gain muscle very well but don't tend to gain fat that easily. Mesos tend to have larger frames than ectos and can make good athletes. Endos build muscle better than ectomorphs but they store fat better than any other type.
    This is not to say that someone of one type can't work to get stronger or leaner but they'll have an easier or harder time based on their body type.

Quote Originally Posted by neandertal View Post
    I think barbarian were warriors they ate cereal drunk milk and lifted stuff not doing bodyweight stuff at leas not alone bow and arrow, shield, sword or mace are all weights
    Hahaha. I was referring to these guys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast