Thread: Wild Rabbit from the butcher page

reeferjon is offline Member

Wild Rabbit from the butcher

Primal Fuel
    So, how do we feel about the above in a PB context? and who does/would eat?

John.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    If it's from a butcher, I would be surprised if it is wild. I get rabbit from a grassfed source-- I love the meat. I've eaten the wild variety, and while tasty, it can be a bit stringy.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

mayness is offline Senior Member
    I love rabbit! I haven't had wild rabbit in years, but I know it's even trickier to cook than farmed, because it tends to be tougher and leaner. Low and slow is the key, and you'll want to choose a recipe/method that adds some fat to it.

The last time I cooked rabbit according to a recipe, I used this one (for those reading this who eat dairy): Rabbit Fricassee with Tagliatelle - Gordon Ramsay's F-Word - BBC America (and here's a video showing it step by step, which is especially helpful if yours come whole and you've never chopped up a rabbit before: How to cook rabbit fricassee with Gordon Ramsay | Video Wonder How To ) I cooked the legs a little too quickly and they were a bit chewy... and that was with farmed rabbit. That's when I realized just how careful you have to be.
    Last edited by mayness; 03-15-2011 at 08:42 AM.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I use wild rabbit with pork, liver and pork fat, spices etc to make pate - delicious! Not so keen on the meat as meat - unless it is in a game casserole.

Buttercup is offline Senior Member
    Excellent question, am interested too. Just saw someone selling it at my Farmers' Market today and I've committed to at least try it. Anyone else?
    The Paleo Periodical
    It's not a Diet. It's a lifestyle.

Free Range is offline Senior Member
    It's illegal to sell wild game, if legal it is farm raised. Rabbit is good, but very lean, be careful not to dry it out, I use to smother mine in gravy pre primal, or maybe put it in a stew or soup.