Thread: Women Food and God-- Popular book about eating disorders page

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

Women Food and God-- Popular book about eating disorders

Shop Now
    I was reading this month's Reader's Digest last night, and came across an article by a woman named Geneen Roth. The article focused on how she and her husband were victims of the Bernie Madoff Ponzi scheme, and how she transformed the feelings of loss from losing their life savings into a joyful appreciation for what she did have, and how lucky she was, and vowed to turn her attitude toward money around. She appears to have been successful, at least successful enough to write an article that was positive and upbeat, although I must admit that I'd have a really, really hard time dealing with the same situation. If she's that positive about her money, then I'm hoping her book is really positive and might be a real help to someone.

Anyway, I read in the article that she's a bestselling author who writes books and leads retreats for women with eating disorders. Apparently her latest book, Women Food and God: An Unexpected Path to Almost Everything, has been wildly successful. It has excellent customer reviews on Amazon. So, I thought that it might be a useful resource for any women here who are dealing with food compulsions. Here's a direct quote from the product review:

After three decades of studying, teaching and writing about our compulsions with food, bestselling author Geneen Roth adds a powerful new dimension to her work in Women Food and God. She begins with her most basic concept: The way you eat is inseparable from your core beliefs about being alive. Your relationship with food is an exact mirror of your feelings about love, fear, anger, meaning, transformation and, yes, even God.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    There's another great book I heard about called "Born to Crave." Haven't read it, but I hear it's good.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    It's a good, helpful book .... her best yet, I think.

One thing to note: What few negative reviews there have been are usually from Christians complaining about her idea of God. Roth has a more spiritual bent, even slightly New Age-y. So if you're looking for Jesus and scripture, you're barking up the wrong tree there.

What she deals with is definitely a part of the puzzle but, for me at least, most (but not all) of my bingeing is physiological. As soon as I righted my brain chemistry via amino acid therapy, especially 5-HTP, my bingeing stopped cold. 9-1/2 months now.

Feeling VERY grateful and still taking it one day at a time.

I have been thinking I should go back and read this book again with fresh eyes given my newly found perspective. I think I will now.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

mixie is offline Senior Member
    I liked her book "When Food is Love". It helped me put a finger on some triggers and issues that I had never quite been able to get a hold of.
    “Falconry is not a hobby or an amusement; it is a rage. You eat and drink it, sleep it and think it. You tremble to write of it, even in recollection. It is as King James the First remarked, an extreme stirrer up of passions.” --T.H. White, The Godstone and the Blackymor

"The world must be all fucked up when men travel first class and literature goes as freight."
    - Gabriel Garcia Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude

worth is offline Junior Member
    Crispy Shrimp Skewers
    Upper Crust Enterprises, Inc. is famous for its innovative quality breaded seafood, maintaining high level of quality and differentiation. Introducing in U.S. the “Panko” or Japanese bread crumbs which act as a coating on the seafood, soon Panko coated shrimp and fish became a big hit with restaurants nationwide.

Today, Upper Crust provides quality products and excellent service to their customers in a clean and safe environment. Panko and Tempura Batter have a shelf life of 12-months from the time of manufacturing. But it is best to store them in tightly closed containers in a dry place to keep away any moisture. While Panko is made from bleached wheat flour, dextrose, yeast, salt, the ingredients of Tempura Batter mix are enriched bleached wheat flour, yellow corn flour, wheat starch, salt, baking powder, emulsifier. Use then in endless recipes - Crispy French Toast, crispy shrimp skewers, or even Crispy Crumb Noodles, the variations are endless, [url=http://uppercrustent.com/]where to buy panko bread crumbs![\url]

You may not be aware but Japanese Panko Bread Crumbs are the secret ingredient in fine restaurants all over the world. Our crispy Tempura Batter mix, a classic Japanese specialty is loved by our clients. Upper Crust Enterprises has perfected the art and science of blending the finest flours and high quality ingredients to develop Panko and Tempura Batter.

As the bulk of Panko sales go to Japanese restaurants across the world, every care is taken to provide the most authentic Japanese Bread Crumbs. Because of the unique characteristics of Panko bread crumbs and Tempura Batter, American, Italian, Mexican and Seafood restaurants are also showing keen interest in these products.

Did you know that Upper Crust products can be used in most of major types of cuisines all throughout the world? Whether you are longing for crispy shrimp skewers or almond chicken with Crispy Panko, Upper Crust is the place to look for. But remember that all Japanese Panko Bread Crumbs are not created one and the same. Its only using the perfect Panko will make the right difference to your dish! For more than a couple of decades now, Upper Crust Enterprises has truly been the leader in creating and supplying truly genuine and high quality Japanese Bread Crumbs all over the world

worth is offline Junior Member

Authentic Japanese Panko Bread Crumbs and Tempura Batter

Crispy Shrimp Skewers
    Upper Crust Enterprises, Inc. is famous for its innovative quality breaded seafood, maintaining high level of quality and differentiation. Introducing in U.S. the “Panko” or Japanese bread crumbs which act as a coating on the seafood, soon Panko coated shrimp and fish became a big hit with restaurants nationwide.

Today, Upper Crust provides quality products and excellent service to their customers in a clean and safe environment. Panko and Tempura Batter have a shelf life of 12-months from the time of manufacturing. But it is best to store them in tightly closed containers in a dry place to keep away any moisture. While Panko is made from bleached wheat flour, dextrose, yeast, salt, the ingredients of Tempura Batter mix are enriched bleached wheat flour, yellow corn flour, wheat starch, salt, baking powder, emulsifier. Use then in endless recipes - Crispy French Toast, crispy shrimp skewers, or even Crispy Crumb Noodles, the variations are endless, where to buy panko bread crumbs!

You may not be aware but Japanese Panko Bread Crumbs are the secret ingredient in fine restaurants all over the world. Our crispy Tempura Batter mix, a classic Japanese specialty is loved by our clients. Upper Crust Enterprises has perfected the art and science of blending the finest flours and high quality ingredients to develop Panko and Tempura Batter.

As the bulk of Panko sales go to Japanese restaurants across the world, every care is taken to provide the most authentic Japanese Bread Crumbs. Because of the unique characteristics of Panko bread crumbs and Tempura Batter, American, Italian, Mexican and Seafood restaurants are also showing keen interest in these products.

Did you know that Upper Crust products can be used in most of major types of cuisines all throughout the world? Whether you are longing for crispy shrimp skewers or almond chicken with Crispy Panko, Upper Crust is the place to look for. But remember that all Japanese Panko Bread Crumbs are not created one and the same. Its only using the perfect Panko will make the right difference to your dish! For more than a couple of decades now, Upper Crust Enterprises has truly been the leader in creating and supplying truly genuine and high quality Japanese Bread Crumbs all over the world

HeatherJ is offline Senior Member
    [FINALLY an answer to my japanese bread crumb prayers!!]

Sharon, thanks for the tip. Going to look on Amazon now..

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherJ View Post
    [FINALLY an answer to my japanese bread crumb prayers!!]
    Too funny, someone spamming a grain free forum with an ad for a grain based product. Somebody didn't do their homework before spamming.

HeatherJ is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Definitely! I think they just count the number of times 'grain' appears in the forum without knowing the context, aka "grains are BAD!"