Thread: Exilio's Primal Journal page

exilio is offline Junior Member

Exilio's Primal Journal

Primal Fuel
    Hello.

Like many of you I am a long time lurker, first time poster. I started this food journal as an extra motivation and as a source for potential feedback as work toward getting my body where it should be.

Brief bio:

I grew up skinny. Played a lot of sports but rarely hit the gym or had an exercise routine beyond what I had to do at practice. Ive always considered myself athletic but over the past several years I have put on a lot of weight. When I got out of the military 15 years ago, I weighed 150lbs. Five years later I weighed 185. Sometime last year I hit 230+.

The usual culprits were the issue--fast food, soda and generally infrequent exercise. In September of 2010 I decided to seriously commit to an exercise regime--which I was faithful to. I slowly progressed from general weight training and running to full blow HIIT routines like Tabata workouts--which I love. However, after three months, my weight still hovered around 230+. It didn't take a genius to realize my diet was at fault. I was still eating fast food, sometimes four times a week at my local McDonald's--don't they have the best Coke there?

At the same time, my wife, whom I consider very fit and someone who eats healthily told me she had put on 15lbs over the years. I found that hard to believe--she ate very well, and basically drank only water.

This got me thinking about the foods we eat. I remembered spying a book about the Paleo diet while on a trip to Hawaii. I thumbed through it, liked some of what I read, but hadn't given it much thought at the time. However, I still remembered some of the passages about certain foods we commonly deemed healthy were in fact, bad for us--I thought about my wife.

In late December I started to read several books on the Paleo diet and instantly recognized it not as some fad diet, but as a proper and truly healthy lifestyle. I dove in and haven't looked back. While I love many of the things I have given up, I don't really crave them. As I began to educate myself more and more, I found out about MarksDailyApple.com and the Primal Blueprint. It answered several of the questions I had about Paleo dieting and seemed to be a more refined, if not, evolved, version of the diet--no pun intended. I started my wife on it and she too hasn't looked back

Since late December I have been faithful to my Paleo/Primal diet and went from 230+ to 215--my goal is 185. My wife has gone from 140 to 130 and several of her outfits no longer fit, while jeans she couldn't wear for the last couple of years have taken center stage in her wardrobe.

So why the journal? Basically for feedback to help ever refine my diet. My only weakness is that I truly enjoy wine or beer on my weekends. I used to drink a lot of beer, but now I have switched to wine. But I know I need to put the kibosh on even that so I can truly achieve my goals.

I work out on a regular basis and employ the PB mantra with regards to exercise--I do a fair amount of Tabata-type workouts and CrossFit. I keep any eye on my carbs and haven't been to a fast food restaurant since I started this in December--quite an accomplishment for me.

I fully expect to stack with Primal eating and exercise while continuing to refine my approach while educating myself. I have been truly inspired by many ofmyou and you success stories--I hope to add my own some day. This year in fact. ;-)
    Last edited by exilio; 03-14-2011 at 10:44 PM.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Exilio! Sounds like you are doing well. A bit of wine isn't bad, if you can stop there. If you post more about what you eat, people can probably give you some advice, if you want.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Primal Journal: 03/14/11

Happy Pi Day! But alas, no pie for me.

One thing you will notice is that I tend to eat out a fair amount due to my job plus I never know if I will have time to eat. But that's okay with me because it results in IIF.

- 17oz water when I head into work

Breakfast:
    - 3 scrambled eggs, 4 strips bacon, 2 slices of tomatoes, water

Starbucks:
    - Medium black coffee with "inch" of heavy whipping cream, teaspoon of sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg.

Lunch:
    - Turkey chili soup (beans inside, didn't know, tried to eat around), unsweetened iced tea

Starbucks:
    - Medium black coffee with "inch" of heavy whipping cream, teaspoon of sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg. And a Kind Bar (gluten free, no peanuts or rice--this one is roughly 12g carbs)

Dinner:
    - Cubed sirloin with onions, garlic, red bell peppers, cooked in coconut oil; sauted spinach in butter with garlic, water, one square of dark chocolate with ~4oz almond milk

Workout:
    Lifted Heavy Things
    - 6 rounds of Tabata--approximate 25min, with HR at 55-85%.
    Last edited by exilio; 03-14-2011 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist View Post
    Welcome Exilio! Sounds like you are doing well. A bit of wine isn't bad, if you can stop there. If you post more about what you eat, people can probably give you some advice, if you want.
    Advice would be very much appreciated. I think sometimes I eat too late at night, but that's very tough for me to avoid on work days for me.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Primal Journal 03/15/10

Breakfast:
    - 3-egg omelet with spinach, tomatoes, and a little bit of feta; a couple pieces of cut up fruit ( I didn't eat all the fruit in the photo; about half maybe), water

photo 1..jpg

Starbucks:
    - Medium black coffee with "inch" of heavy whipping cream, teaspoon of sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg.

Lunch:
    - Salad (organic greens, kalamata olives, little feta, grilled chicken, light amount of vinaigrette), unsweetened iced tea

Starbucks: (I think I may try to cut this out -- this is probably an extra 200-400 calories a day, and about 16 carbs)

Dinner:
    - Cubed sirloin with onions, garlic, red bell peppers, cooked in coconut oil ); sauted broccoli in butter with garlic (I ate about 75% of the meat and all of the broccoli), water, three small dark chocolate/macadamia nuts and ~ 14 oz almond milk
    photo 2..jpg

Workout:
    Lifted Heavy Things
    - 6 rounds of Tabata--approximate 25min, with HR at 55-80%
    Last edited by exilio; 03-15-2011 at 10:27 PM.