Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to LA -where's the best place to live/how is primal life out there?! page

BecomeYourDream is offline Senior Member

Moving to LA -where's the best place to live/how is primal life out there?!

Hey everyone! My name is Hilary and I am going to moving out to the LA area soon for a coaching job. I am super pumped! I am from upstate new york, went to school in chicago, IL, moved to NYC my first year out of college, and now I live in Maryland. Cali has always been a dream of mine so I am glad it is actually happening. I get the feeling there is lots of primal living out there, or at least I am hoping!

So I was wondering if my fellow Primal mates could give me any advice on where to live, what primal life is like out there, etc! I am a 23 y/o female who plays lacrosse, boxes for fitness 3x a week, loves to be active and has been enjoying the primal lifestyle on and off (mostly on) for the last 6 months. Would love any and all advice!

Thanks!!
    MY "GET AWESOMELY FIT AND HEALTHY" JOURNAL!

"Become Your Dream" - De La Vega

"“The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights.” - Muhammad Ali

JillianMarie77 is offline Senior Member
    I'm originally from North East L.A. and I loved it. I have a couple of friends who incidentally turned me on to this website who are out in the Santa Monica area.

Quote Originally Posted by JillianMarie77 View Post
    I'm originally from North East L.A. and I loved it. I have a couple of friends who incidentally turned me on to this website who are out in the Santa Monica area.
    really? I was thinking about moving to Santa Monica- my boyfriend is currently out there and we are trying to find a place to live. I hear its really nice. I know traffic is really bad so I'm nervous about what the commute would be to work. I will be working at USC.

"“The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights.” - Muhammad Ali

Karma is offline Senior Member
    I lived in Santa Monica for 30 years. It sure has changed! I hope your coaching job pays really well because its super expensive to live there. Rent control used to keep rent in check at an artificially really low rate, but they phased it out about 15 years ago. Since then the only way to get a cheap place is to rent a room from someone who is still on the master lease from back in the day. I would look at West LA, near UCLA. Also look at Mar Vista, Marina Del Rey and Manhatten Beach.

The commute to USC kind of sucks. Mar Vista, Century City or Culver City would be a lot closer. I did it for two years from Santa Monica while getting my masters degree there in the early 90's.
    Last edited by Karma; 03-14-2011 at 09:43 PM.

Raphaella is offline Senior Member
    My friend just got a studio in Torrance for $950/month.

@karma - thanks for the info! Haha, no coaching job pays THAT well. The good news that living with my boyfriend will cut costs but I know cost of living out there is incredible. I will check out West LA, etc. Thanks again!

@Raphaella- I have never heard of Torrance but $950/month sounds awesome! I'll do some research.

lolov is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BecomeYourDream View Post
    really? I was thinking about moving to Santa Monica- my boyfriend is currently out there and we are trying to find a place to live. I hear its really nice. I know traffic is really bad so I'm nervous about what the commute would be to work. I will be working at USC.
    GO TROJANS! YAY!!!

I second Santa Monica... the BEST Farmer's Market in the world on Wednesdays! If that's too expensive or you just don't want that drive to SC every day, you can try Pasadena/South Pasadena. Beautiful, slightly less expensive and your commute will be a little better. No beach, though LOL.

I lived both places (along with the Pico/Robertson area) and loved all of it. Great food, great people, great energy... I miss it terribly!

ittybitty is offline Member
    I used to live in a cheap part of the Hollywood area. Best location ever for being near everywhere I liked to hang out/shop at. If I had stayed in LA I would've stayed around there but move somewhere non-grungy like the nice parts of Beverly Hills adjacent. It's not that close to USC, so the drive might suck. It wasn't close to my job then either but worth it LOL! That is very common with living in LA though, many people just live in the neighborhood they like & afford the most and commute for 1+ hour to work if need be.

I lived in Playa del Rey for a little bit. It was kind of boring back then but nice, and my rent was good - $600 or something for a nice sized 1-bedroom! I'm sure that's much higher now.
    Last edited by ittybitty; 03-15-2011 at 05:38 AM.

@lolov -Yes! I am pumped to be a trojan- brand new lacrosse program! I have heard about the Farmers Market in Santa Monica too! I guess my question is..exactly HOW long is the commute going to be. I know that traffic is pretty horrible wherever so if that is the case Ill just suck it up, get a prius (isnt that what everyone does out there? haha), and download some podcasts for the ride in! I would probably be leaving at like 7:30 every morning

@ittybitty- I would love to be close but what I am hearing from lots of people is that it really doesnt matter- you will probably commute everywhere. Plus, I heard the area right around USC isnt the nicest. At the same time, I would love for my commute to be under an hour...dont know if that is possible! Ill def check out those areas though, thanks!

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Culver City / Palms is a good choice for you - cheaper than Westwood / Santa Monica, a bit closer to USC, and still close to the beach. There are some areas near USC which are not THAT dangerous and would be much, much cheaper to live, but you'd need a trusted local to show you around. I'm glad not to live there anymore, but it is beautiful and the weather is amazing. BTW nobody has mentioned Silverlake area which is closer to USC and also much less expensive.
    Torrance is the burbs and a very long commute. Yuck (imhop).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast