Thread: panther2k's Log page

panther2k is offline Junior Member

panther2k's Log

Hi guys,

Gonna start posting in here... partly as a means to keep me on track + seems like there is a lot of good advice on this board that I'll hopefully be able to benefit from.

To give a quick summary of where I'm at: I'm in very good shape (was an athlete in college) but at the moment don't look nearly as good as I feel I should. The biggest obstacle for me has been adjusting to life after college--I've gone from being very active to sitting in front of Excel for 16 hours a day, 6 or 7 days a week. I've developed a serious addiction to cashews, partly cause they taste amazing and partly as a way to pass the time and often will go through two full Planter's cans a day(!) Obviously, that needs to stop and I'll be cutting out nuts/seeds, if not permanently, at least until I reach my ideal physique.

I don't have time to cook my own meals but will be following the Leangains IF program as well as eating primally to the extent it's possible (ie. meats/veggies but since they're from restaurants won't always be organic, etc.)

Over the past couple months my weight has been like a yo-yo, when I'm disciplined for a week or so I'll get down to ~165 but then I'll get overwhelmed at work, stress eat and literally balloon to 178 in a day or two (obviously, this probably isn't a "real" 178, just that I'm full of food and bloated, but still it's pathetic). I need to figure out a way to ingrain more sustainable eating habits which has been a struggle given my lifestyle (or lack of considering I'm always at work!)

Another issue has been training--I love to exercise/lift weights/be active, but I think I need to cut back on the amount of time I spend in the gym lifting heavy b/c it just kills my energy levels given the little amount of time I have to recover/sleep. So I'm leaning towards following the PF blueprint even though I'll probably lose muscle/strength I want to prioritize getting lean (5/6% body fat) over everything else.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading through my inane ramblings and I'm looking forward to the next few months!

BecomeYourDream is offline Senior Member
    Hey Panther! I had very similar problems, was also an athlete in college (graduated in 2009), then the real world hit! I would binge and eat tons of crap and then try to be healthy again. I am now on day 30 of my 30 day challenge...so you can definitely do it! I am now eating healthy and feeling great! I wish you the best of luck!
    MY "GET AWESOMELY FIT AND HEALTHY" JOURNAL!

"Become Your Dream" - De La Vega

"“The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights.” - Muhammad Ali

apple is offline Senior Member
    I totally have the same problem with cashews. I have found that those raise my blood sugar more than any other nut out there! I am working on avoiding all nuts right now. I'm hoping it will eliminate my digestion issues as well as help me drop some pudge too

Spending the afternoon lifting weights sounds like fun, but I can see why it would be exhausting...
    Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

2012 Goals:
    Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
    More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
    LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
    Play more!

Guess I should throw some before pics up as well so people can see where I'm at. My best guess is I could drop at least 10, maybe 15lbs, down to 155lbs/160lbs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by apple View Post
    Spending the afternoon lifting weights sounds like fun, but I can see why it would be exhausting...
    That does sound fun! Unfortunately, the earliest I can get to the gym is usually 11pm/12am and I'm zapped by then from work.

So I'm on to day 3 without cashews!

Anyone else doing intermittent fasting "crash" after your first meal? I eat around 2pm and get really tired afterwards--to the point where I eventually go hide in the bathroom for a few minutes to rest my eyes. I think I'll try going for a quick walk immediately after eating today to see if that preempts anything.

So I haven't really been following the leangains 8-hour window... when my feeding window rolls around I'm usually not hungry (or I have a cup of green tea which kills any hunger) and I just keep going. So far I've had a 40hr fast and a couple 24hr ones. I'm a little concerned that I'm not getting enough calories, although my energy level seems normal. I'm also only doing sprints and the PBF bodyweight routine rather than heavy lifting so my energy needs definitely aren't as high, but as someone who's used to eating every 3hrs (often full meals too!) it's a big shift.

Also, my hands and feet get cold during fasts, which from reading through other threads seems to be fairly common.

Forgot to add... down roughly 5lbs.

Down about 1 more lb to 169. Eating habits are a bit variable, but usually only do one meal a day. Dropped about an inch on my waist to 31.5" (although I drink so much water throughout the day that it goes up 1/1.5" by bedtime!).

Anyone else have a Tanita body fat scanner? Mine usually reads ~8% but I can't believe that I'm anywhere close to that as I don't very much definition.
    Attached Images Attached Images

sibylsybil is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Wow, your 'before' pictures would make some pretty good 'after' pictures. I guess it's all relative, haha.
    Life consists with wildness. The most alive is the wildest. (Thoreau)