Thread: best salad ever! page

Sally is offline Member

best salad ever!

Primal Fuel
    Made this last night, and it was delicious!

2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
    2 cups curly endive
    2 cups whatever other greens (I used spinach, radicchio, green leaf mix)
    1 diced avocado
    2 diced hardboiled eggs

dressing:

whisk together
    2 tablespoons dijon mustard
    2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
    2 tablespoons olive oil (or whatever kind of oil you prefer. never tried macadamia, but I understand it's yummy)
    4 minced garlic cloves
    1 minced shallot

toss it all together for some primal deliciousness. The fresh herbs make a HUGE flavor difference over my normal salads.
    ***if you fall down seven times, get up eight.***

I love, LOVE cilantro...and that dressing sounds great as well. Simple but delicious. I couldn't get my mom to try it without a dab of honey, though (we're working on it). BTW...this may be common knowledge...never put OO in the blender. It makes it taste rancid and completely awful.

NicoleP is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGirlEats View Post
    I love, LOVE cilantro...and that dressing sounds great as well. Simple but delicious. I couldn't get my mom to try it without a dab of honey, though (we're working on it). BTW...this may be common knowledge...never put OO in the blender. It makes it taste rancid and completely awful.
    I have heard that too, but from what I understand its only the EVOO that tastes rancid. I made mayo today with light tasting olive oil and used a handheld blender. It turned out ok.

I was watching some cooking show the other day and the guy had this thing that he put whole herbs and oil in and shook it like crazy to blend the herbs. It actually chopped them and made a nice looking herb infused oil. I am trying to find out what it is so I can buy one. Sounds like this dressing recipe would work out nicely in one if I can find out what it is.

sarahewelsh is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleP View Post
    I was watching some cooking show the other day and the guy had this thing that he put whole herbs and oil in and shook it like crazy to blend the herbs. It actually chopped them and made a nice looking herb infused oil. I am trying to find out what it is so I can buy one. Sounds like this dressing recipe would work out nicely in one if I can find out what it is.
    Was it Jamie Oliver? He uses this "flavour shaker" thing a lot, though I don't think it chops things - more bashes and/or smooshes them... it would probably work well to make the flavored oil if the herbs were already semi-chopped, though.

Flavour Shaker - it crushes, grinds, blends and more! Jamie Oliver
    Current weight = 179.8
    Goal: lose 25 pounds & have people stop asking me when I'm due...

NicoleP is offline Senior Member
    Yes that was it! Thank you. Now I have to see where they sell them and read product reviews.