Thread: Merrell Barefoot shoes... page

OptimusPrimal is offline Junior Member

Merrell Barefoot shoes...

Shop Now
    I am exited about the upcoming release of the Merrell shoes, but was hesitant about buying them since they are not a 100% barefoot experience. The reason I am so interested in the Merrells is because I have had the same pair of Merrell hiking boots sine I was 15 years old, and they are still as good as the day I got them (11 years later)

Has anyone here already got their hands (feet) on a pair? What do you all think?

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    i went to the store to try them on... i wear a 14 in Merrell's but the new shoes are shorter in the toe box, 14 felt more like a 13/13.5 for length. So they had a 14 and the width was good but they were too short. So now I have to wait for them to bring in a 15. Just from putting them on though, they felt more like a Vivo barefoot shoe than a VFF.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

NeoBerserker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OptimusPrimal View Post
    I am exited about the upcoming release of the Merrell shoes, but was hesitant about buying them since they are not a 100% barefoot experience. The reason I am so interested in the Merrells is because I have had the same pair of Merrell hiking boots sine I was 15 years old, and they are still as good as the day I got them (11 years later)

Has anyone here already got their hands (feet) on a pair? What do you all think?
    Lol i still have a pair from when i was like 16. They outlive all my shoes easily. I finally killed them, but i really put them to the test with lots of hiking and daily manual labor at my job. They are better than boots for working.

aikidochris is offline Member
    I bought mine about 4 weeks ago, got the Trail Glove and so far I am very impressed. Im still getting to grips with the different running style, BF v conventional and have used then in the gym for weights/circuits, treadmill, bike, rowing machine and also outside for some trail running which included tyre flips, box jumps up onto wet slabs of stone etc. The shoes have dealt really well with all sorts of terrain from dry grass to very wet mud with minimal slippage and no signs of any wear or tear as yet.

One thing I would add is that if youre new to BF running then take it easy the first few times, I was crippled in my lower legs after 10 mins jogging the first time I tried them! Much better now though.

RezH is offline Senior Member
    I wore my new Tough Gloves (leather version) this weekend going through airports, and liked them quite a bit. They are a good alternative for everyday shoes for work and such.

Karma is offline Senior Member
    been trail running and doing my strenght workouts in them for the past month (trail glove). They fit well, pretty high arch felt funny at first but relaxed a bit after about 20 miles of running in them. Can wear them in public without people looking at me like I am from Mars (VFF). Seem pretty well constructed.

andrew.e is offline Junior Member
    i've had mine for about 2 weeks, and i love them. i have the true gloves, and i ordered a pair of the tough gloves too. as mentioned above, the arch support is a little aggressive, but you get used to it.

also agree with the poster that said take it easy at first - i ran 2 miles in them the first time out, and could hardly walk for about 3 days. it's definitely a different experience. i expect my calves to be huge in another couple months

i'm looking for some super thin socks to wear with them. i love wearing them without socks, but during the run i started getting blisters on both my middle toes. also, anti-microbial footbed or not, they get smelly. still, they're pretty awesome shoes.

J. Stanton is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew.e View Post
    i'm looking for some super thin socks to wear with them.
    Try "liner socks" or "sock liners". They're usually polypropylene and very thin, because they're designed to be worn under regular socks.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I tried them on yesterday and had the same issue I've always had with Merrells- they are just a little too narrow for me. I think I'm buying the New Balance Minimus Trail instead, which tend to be just a little bit wider overall.

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Stanton View Post
    Try "liner socks" or "sock liners". They're usually polypropylene and very thin, because they're designed to be worn under regular socks.
    you can also look for hockey socks, I think the ones I found are called Thins or something like that, they're even thinner than the sock liners I have.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe