Thread: High intensity total body training page

bpm
    bpm is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Hi all,

I've just been reading this blog for about 2 weeks, and just got my copy of the book. Very exciting! It fits right in with a lot of what I've been reading for the past year or so. Wanted to recommend for those that are athletes Infinite Intensity by Ross Enamait- I have been following it as a general workout guide for a while and it slots right in what Mark talks about, albeit at a very high, well, intensity.

I have no affiliation with that book, but wanted to mention as I enjoy it, and also ask: any good full body, intensive/short workout sites/books/videos that people love? I know of crossfit, but have only been able to get to one class, and also have been reading up on gymnast workouts (which are *hard*)...

tman Guest

I've been doing a "Big 5" workout as outlined by Doug McGuff, MD (check out his stuff on youtube) in his book Body by Science. It's all done on machines-very slow rep cadence, heavy weight, to failure and move quick between exercises. Usually my "Big 5" turns in to a "big 8" but I am used to high intensity stuff. I plug this workout in between two mostly free weight total body workouts in the week that are periodized, slower (I take my time) 5x5 style workouts (squats, presses, rows, etc.). Dr. McGuff would certainly call this overtraining but I am not ready to go to one time per week lifting. I look at barbell training as a more complicated "skill" that needs to be practiced-and I rarely go to failure, but I do work up to heavy weights over time-almost like a powerlifters workout.

Clint is offline Senior Member

I also have to 100% back what bpm is saying. Ross's stuff is top notch. He advocates simple hard work and gives great examples of different exercises, both BW and weights, and how to make a LOT of equipment yourself. I also have Infinite Intensity and have worked out following it's principles for a few years now.

tman Guest

Cint and bpm-sounds interesting-I may have to give it a look see. I'm always open to new stuff-especially if it promotes some sort progress.

Clint is offline Senior Member

I think you'd like it. What I like most about it is that he doesn't BS you. He pretty much says that if you bust your @$$, you'll get the results.

His books are a great reference that consolidates all the info into one place, but Ross would be the first one to tell you that it's all free on his blog/forum if your willing to search around a little bit. Basically, just like the info on here on Mark's site.

kouin Guest

Training on empty.

Primal home baking, tomatoes and tahini.