Thread: Activity/exercise advice/help page

Uggla is offline Junior Member

Activity/exercise advice/help

Primal Fuel
    Hello everyone,

I have a issue I need help with. I had cancer some time ago, I had many surgeries and had to have reconstructive surgery as well. This has limited my exercise options, I can not lift heavy things, run, jump, squat, do push ups, pull ups, no impact or straining etc.. the reason why is that strain and impact can tear down the tissue that is holding up what they fixed inside me.

Sooooo....
    What can I do to get strong? I know waking and swimming are ok, I also ride a bike quite often as long as it is not too much of a incline I do well. I have three children I am caring for them everyday, but my son is getting to heavy now for me to lift and he's only 1˝. So that is soon out of the question as well.

Any advice?
    Last edited by Uggla; 03-13-2011 at 11:15 PM.

Tigresss is offline Junior Member
    It sounds like you have plenty of options for staying fit. But if building strength is your concern, I'm afraid I'm not much help. Have you considered getting 2nd and 3rd opinions on your surgeries and the 'limitations' they have placed upon you? I'm not sure what reconstructive surgery you've endured, but oftentimes, there is a doctor out there with a better understanding and will help you live the life you want.
    At this point, IMHO being a cancer survivor and enjoying more years with your children is more important than 'lifting heavy things'. Enjoy your health and your life. You're one of the lucky ones.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    If you can afford it, you might look for a trainer and/or physiotherapist who specializes in working with people who've been through surgeries and such. There are folks out there who can probably work with your specific needs/limitations and design a program that will fit.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uggla View Post
    Hello everyone,

I have a issue I need help with. I had cancer some time ago, I had many surgeries and had to have reconstructive surgery as well. This has limited my exercise options, I can not lift heavy things, run, jump, squat, do push ups, pull ups, no impact or straining etc.. the reason why is that strain and impact can tear down the tissue that is holding up what they fixed inside me.

Sooooo....
    What can I do to get strong?

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    I know one woman who has gotten amazingly cut doing slooooooooooooooow weight lifting moves with 1-2 lb dumbells. If I can recall where she talks about the technique I'll try and link it but it basically involves focusing and tightening the muscle as if you were lifting heavy weight, but using very very light weights or even no weight at all. It takes a lot of mental focus to contract the muscle without resistance.

Good Luck!
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by runnergal View Post
    I know one woman who has gotten amazingly cut doing slooooooooooooooow weight lifting moves with 1-2 lb dumbells. If I can recall where she talks about the technique I'll try and link it but it basically involves focusing and tightening the muscle as if you were lifting heavy weight, but using very very light weights or even no weight at all. It takes a lot of mental focus to contract the muscle without resistance.

Good Luck!
    Slow Burn has some good home exercises.