Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meatballs? page

erica057 is offline Senior Member

Meatballs?

Shop Now
    Do meatballs really *need* a binder? I know that CW meatball recipes generally use breadcrumbs or similar. There are plenty of substitutes that I could use: coconut flour, almond meal, crushed pork rinds, and so on. But do I really need to use anything? Could I just make my favorite meatball recipe leaving out the binder? Or will they fall apart?
    My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
    My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    I don't think they need one.

edit: Or try bacon.
    Little Saiyan

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    egg is a binder...
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

samiam is offline Junior Member
    i am sitting here waiting for my meatballs to finish stewing in their tomatoy goodness and i saw your post lol. we use vegetables as a binder along with egg. we grate up carrots and zucchini (pretty much anything you have in the fridge) and it works awesome as a binder in meatballs and meatloaf. (also if you dont tell them the fussy ones eat vegies none the wiser :-))

rkj1969 is offline Senior Member
    The egg is really the binder, the filler just helps make the meatballs lighter, moister and "stretches" the meat......so sam's grated veggies are a great idea - I do the same!

You can absolutely make them by just leaving out the grain, when I've tried it, they've just been kind of dense.
    ~Rhonda

"Do or do not do, there is no try" - Yoda

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    You definitely need a binder or else they will fall apart. Eggs are wonderful. Make your mixture, shape the meatballs and then let them sit for a few hours for everything to bind together before cooking them. (Ditto for patties).

erica057 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by federkeil View Post
    egg is a binder...
    Oops, true; I meant specifically starchy binder! I do plan to use eggs

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe
    Hey, check out this t-shirt that I bought for my husband: Strength Facts T-Shirt
    My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
    My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

kitana is offline Senior Member
    As long as the meat is lean - they'll be fine. It's when the hamburger is too fatty that they need a binder. The fat melts during cooking and the meat falls apart. I just made some with lean bison meat, no binder, and it worked fine. They were not the least bit crumbly.

Paleobird Guest
    I use egg plus dehydrated onion. It holds things together well and tastes great.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    I really want to try this recipe:
    Italian Sausage Meatballs with Fresh Herbs | Mark's Daily Apple

It was reviewed on a celiac board as the most tender of the grain free recipes tried!!!
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast