Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1 year later - after dropping over 100 lbs page 3

runningwild is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    nice one

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aktres View Post
    That's fantastic, Kestrel. I was watching a show last night about 15 year olds getting gastric bypass surgery, and I think that is such a tragedy. Congratulations on your healthy weight loss!
    There is a woman here where I work getting the lap-band surgery, but she eats all kinds of junk. I think these people need to learn to eat right first. They may find they don't need the surgery after all.

KestrelSF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Congrats on your success, my personal opinion though is that you could use some muscle on your frame. I'm assuming you're doing resistance exercise? Lift anything, even if it's just yourself (push ups, pull ups, etc) I'm not talking jacked up muscle beach style, just some sensible muscle, judging from your arms there's not much there. No offense as you've already accomplished a lot, just a thought.
    Yeah I hear ya. I started going to Cross Fit Oakland twice a week. The first couple of weeks were pretty rough, getting a bit better. We'll see if that helps!
    Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

RyanMWilliams is offline Junior Member
    Fantastic, thanks for posting! Very encouraging.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    my guess, kestrel (btw, i love kestrels), is that crossfit will take yu from 15 lbs of excess weight into 15 lbs of muscle. you look great at 155, but yes "thin" because you have low body fat but not a lot of muscle. You look great, btw, at that size/weight, and normal (and healthy). But, i bet your body (and metabolism) will be happier with a bit more muscle on you. and crossfit can do that.

i especially agree with you about "primal treats." my DH and I do not do any sorts of primal breads, cakes, etc. we might have a desert that is primal when out (on rare occasion; we don't go out much). it was really shocking to me to read some blogs/etc that are paleo where the (usually a woman) bakes all manner of primalized foods and goes "why oh why aren't i loosing weight?" oh, it was because you have primal pancakes for breakfast, primal sandwich for lunch, and primal cake for dessert after dinner. oh, and a primal scone for a snack. and your dark chocolate. and your wine. and and and. i'm just saying. it's not calling anyone in particular "out" but i was like "yeah, that's not primal, it really isn't."

sure, a primal birthday cake (which in our house means 3 per year) is fine. a primal dessert at the major holidays (thanksgiving, christmas, and easter -- or similar holidays) makes sense. BUT, it doesn't make sense as daily food.

and btw, AWESOME on your weight loss!

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Nice job on the weight loss. Very true about the "treats". If you eat a bar of dark choc and a jar of almonds daily... you'll gain weight

I also agree, adding some mass would be the right next step for you.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    I remembered your AWESOME achievement today when I went foraging in my pantry for some almond butter and was glad to find it all gone. Those primal treats can create big stalls for me; think I'll avoid for a while.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Nice! Thank you for posting this.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

KestrelSF is offline Senior Member
    So thought I might post an update now that its been over a year.

I did manage to loose some of the chub around the belly last year in time for burning man:

But did creep up again some during the holidays with "Primal treats" like almond flour cookies and bacon wrapped dates.

I have been doing CrossFit regularly and a bit more intense this year. They have a bootcamp at my gym which focuses on the basics, deadlifts, back squats, pull ups, push ups and that seems to have helped, my numbers are improving...

My weight is at 178 now, which would freak me out considering I was at 165 for a good year, but the dunk you under water body fat test has indicated that it's 8 more pounds of muscle and 5 more of fat.

The thing that bugs me the most is that I still have the dreaded man boobs, though. My doctor seems to think that I'd really need to get surgery to get rid of completely, but I'm gonna give it another year before I try that. It is an expensive option, looks to be about $10,000-15,000.

Final pic was taken 4th of July. Yes, I'm wearing a coat, it's foggy and cold in San Francisco in July!

Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Have you tried doing chest workout?
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast