So it has been a year since I lost over 100 pounds. I went from around 300 pounds in January 2009 to 155 in May of 2010. I started with a 700 calorie a day low carb diet but switched about 1/2 way to primal. I'm now pretty paleo, eschewing dairy at this point. I managed to maintain the 155 for quite a while, with everyone telling me I was too thin. Between November and January, I got back up to 175. I didn't really fall THAT far off the wagon. There was no cake or pie over the holidays. There were quite a few primal almond flour cookies and "paleo balls" consisting of dates and walnuts. And lots of nuts and cheese. I didn't have much luck getting back down below 170 doing unweighed, unmeasured paleo. I had to cut out bacon, nuts, dairy and calorie restrict some to get back down to 166 today. I still feel like I have a bit to lose, I've still got a bit of the dreaded "man boobs". I've been doing daily 16 hour IF ala leangains since January.

My takeaway from this?

A- You can lose weight really quickly on primal or unweighed paleo when you are really overweight.

B- When you get to around 30 pounds over "ideal" - meaning looking like Brat Pitt, weight, things are gonna get harder and you WILL have to calorie restrict.

C- Paleo "treats" like almond flour cookies and pancakes and whatnot WILL put weight on if it isn't a VERY occasional treat if you've been obese before.

D- Paleo Balls are the devil. They will make you gain weight REAL quick.

E- Even on a fairly calorie restricted Paleo diet, your body will WANT to keep 10 pounds or so of "emergency" fat on your body. I'd say this is because you are eating nutrient dense foods here!

F- The last 10 pounds... the elusive 6 pack! Time will tell! I'm not sure that it is even possible to go from morbidly obese to ripped. If anyone has, I'd love to know!

Start- 300 pounds

June 2010, 155

Now, 170ish