Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Man, An Avocado, A Plan...MUSCLE GUAC! page

Arikara6 is offline Senior Member

A Man, An Avocado, A Plan...MUSCLE GUAC!

Shop Now
    If you're like me...then the kitchen of the house is just another room with a sink (where the beer is typically kept). I'm not a chef - on the contrary, I'm sort of a culinary retard. I could mess up boiling water.

Making things more difficult my wife - who CAN cook - is bigtime ANTI- primal. I'm still in the process of convincing her...uphill battle. What to do?

So I bought the Primal Cookbook - but found myself a little intimidated by the whole thing. I needed some slow-pitch recipes to start.

So I bought some pre-diced (precooked) chicken, some thick-cut bacon and organic avocados from Costco. Stopped by Safeway for an onion, a pepper, a lime, and some weed-looking crap called cilantro (because my wife told me to). Found some eggs in the fridge. I have no idea where they were from.

I asked my wife how to make guacamole - and she gave me the following basic instructions.

Scooped the avocado into a bow (about 6)l, diced the onion, pepper, and cilantro, and mashed it all up. Squeezed half the lime into the mash, and then added the chicken. Cooked up the bacon and chopped it up, then added it and some of the bacon fat (just a bit). Then mashed it and mixed it up more. Hardboiled a few eggs (4), chopped them up and added them too (they were already in the fridge).

I know terribly un-original, being based around simple guacamole- but it took me all of 45 minutes to make, and it makes a few servings...and more importantly it's GOOD (and fairly simple to make if I can do it and not bone it all up).

Anyways, just wanted to share - let me know what you think!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    From somebody who practically lives in my kitchen, I can't relate. The kitchen is the biggest (and most important) room in my house.

I gotta say, for a non-cook, ya did great. It sounds absolutely fantastic. The only thing I would do differently (as somebody who loves to cook) would be to use uncooked chicken breast, cook the bacon first, dice the chicken and cook it in the bacon fat. But that's my unprofessional opinion- lol.

This would be delicious when scooped with pork rinds.

Edit: and maybe a splash of hot sauce.

jon tall tree is offline Senior Member
    That sounds AWSOME. Once you get the order of operations down it will take you 20 min. Hardboil the eggs and cook the bacon first then prep the rest while it's cooking

@Diana: That pork rinds thing sounds AWESOME actually. I appreciate the compliment - at 32 years old, I should probably know something about cooking for myself (prior to marriage and after I left college, I'm not quite sure how I survived).

@Jon: if I can rock this out at 20 minutes, I will eat it A LOT more often. This was the bomb. I should have mentioned that my timeline included chasing my 4 year old twins every couple of minutes.

Appreciate the thumbs up all!

geostump is online now Senior Member
    That sounds like that would be awesome in a salad!
    Georgette

NicoleP is offline Senior Member
    I wish my husband would at least attempt something like this. Since he went primal (after I did) he is eating us out of house and home. I feel like I never leave the kitchen because he eats double the amount I do. There are never any leftovers unless I hide food. He is trying to gain weight so that makes it even worse.

I think I will give your recipe a go and see how it turns out. I would also cook the chicken myself because I don't like anything pre cooked from the store. It usually has a lot of gross crap in it. You could just season a few chicken breasts and throw them on a George Forman grill for about 2 min 30 sec on each side next time.

If you are looking for things that don't take a lot of time as far as cooking goes you should check out the Spicy Mexican Tuna Salad recipe that I posted a few days ago. It really hits the spot and since reading your recipe I think I will add bacon to it next time.
    Last edited by NicoleP; 03-13-2011 at 07:40 PM.

Georgette: I Bet it would be good on salad! I'm so trying that tomorrow!

Nicole, I will absolutely try your mexican tuna salad as soon as possible (I've got to finish this guac first!)

As far as your husband is concerned - I'm sort of the reverse side of that equation - I eat a LOT (though I'm not trying to gain, but I train pretty hard so my appettite is what it is). There's not a good or friendly way to have that conversation, but my wife essentially said "dude, if you want to eat like you are, as much as you are, you are helping me, or you're SOL." So I started helping myself.

I'm looking forward to warmer weather for when I can grill outside.

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    @Nicole...I dont have time to cook all the time...the amount of meat I cook at any one time is enormous. I load the grill down.

@Arikara- no such thing as weather too cold to grill!....of course I can say that because my grill is gas and plumbed into the house line. I do have to let it preheat a bit longer. Of course last week I cooked steaks in about 6 minutes because when I went to flip them I found the bottom of my grill had caught fire. Oddly, the steaks were perfect. </tangent> Anyway the guac sounds great!
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

NicoleP is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arikara6 View Post
    Georgette: I Bet it would be good on salad! I'm so trying that tomorrow!

Nicole, I will absolutely try your mexican tuna salad as soon as possible (I've got to finish this guac first!)

As far as your husband is concerned - I'm sort of the reverse side of that equation - I eat a LOT (though I'm not trying to gain, but I train pretty hard so my appettite is what it is). There's not a good or friendly way to have that conversation, but my wife essentially said "dude, if you want to eat like you are, as much as you are, you are helping me, or you're SOL." So I started helping myself.I'm looking forward to warmer weather for when I can grill outside.
    I do get him to help out as much as possible, but he is so busy. From your avatar and location I assume you are a military man like my husband is and you guys really have to consume a lot of calories. He is a Marine and in MARSOC so their training is over the top. The only time I get a break is when I get day before information that he is "leaving the area" for a little while (I am sure you are familiar with that LOL). Its not really a break though cause I worry all the time and don't eat that much when he leaves. The only positive is the kitchen stays clean.

The last time he tried something new I walked into a house that smelled like a fish market. He had mixed tuna and sardines in a pot and cooked them a little. He was on the couch eating right out of the pot. LMFAO!

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    POWER GUAC!

Hey, this truly does sound like it would rock; a hearty guacamole as a meal that will keep me full for hours.

As someone who learned to cook at the tender age of 40 (!) and who still is really slow and dares not even stray from written recipes, I commend you, sir!

I will be making this one.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast