Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: WTF Does Funkadelic Eat? page

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member

WTF Does Funkadelic Eat?

Howdy and welcome, primal peeps!

Funkadelic Flash here, coming at you with a journal of epic awesomeness (part 2). Some will laugh; some will cry; most will leave emotionless and disinterested due to sheer boredom. This journal is here for no other reason than to sate my exuberant curiosity in regards to exactly how much I eat/train and how it affects me. I plan to share EXACTLY what I eat every single day (along with macro-breakdowns using the trusty CRON-O-meter), my training, and any other thoughts/feelings/encounters that I feel necessary to document. Anyone and everyone is more than welcome to jump in at any time to share their perspective or just to stalk me. Yeah, I'm looking at you, creeper.

A quick background (with more to come as I have the time):

I've been (generally) eating and exercising Primal/Paleo for a little over a year now. In the beginning, I "cheated" a good few times with binges like the world has never seen before, but was around 90% for the most part.

I'm a 6' male, 23 years old. I started at around 180 lbs and within a few months I was up to 200 lbs with more muscle and less fat. I was hooked. My diet and training became my full-time obsession.

All was well and fine until a few days before Halloween this last year. Long story short: I was bow-hunting for deer, fell out of my tree-stand, and broke my back. (Note: If you plan on falling 15 feet from a tree, don't break the fall with your face.) Now I've got two 11" titanium rods and twelve screws in my back. They limit my mobility, but luckily they're coming out early May at which point I'll be (mostly) back to full capacity. To say I'm looking forward to it would be the understatement of the neolithic era. It's been a long road to recovery (with two surgeries and counting), but I'm getting better every day. I lost a LARGE amount of muscle, being that the only exercise I was able to participate in for the first three (or so) months after the incident was walking. At my lowest, I was at about 175 lbs.

I got fed up with my slow wasting away and decided I would eat like crazy and attempt to move around a little bit more in order to gain back some of my weight. So, for the last month, I've been following a modified leangains style approach with my food choices coming from Primal/Paleo/WAPF/PHD. I eat higher carb (not quite sure how many, but a good amount) two days a week after low/moderate exercise with moderate carbs (100ish grams of starch from rice or potatoes and other carbs from veggies) on all other days. I haven't "cheated" or eaten anything non-primal since the accident. The results have been...impressive to say the least. I'm now back up to about 191 pounds and just as lean as I was at 175.

Anywho, here's a photo of the changes from the beginning (On the left: pre-primal at 180 lbs) to today (On the right: 191 lbs). Sadly, I don't have any photos from me at my best when I was 200 (and even more lean than I am now), but I plan on getting back there eventually!

What I consume DAILY:
    • Cow or other ruminants' muscle meat (grass fed, conventional, and wild harvested)
    • Organ meats (mostly liver and brains)
    • White rice (OH NOES, NOT RICE!!!!!) Yes, rice. I do better with some starch, it's lower in anti-nutrients and toxins than most vegetables, it's cheap, and I'm a poor college student.
    • Salmon and sardines
    • A variety of vegetables
    • Sweet potatoes
    • Eggs (mostly yolks)
    • Coconut oil and milk
    • Grass fed tallow that I render myself
    • Home-fermented sauerkraut and kimchi
    • Bone broth

What I consume MODERATELY:
    • Pork
    • All other fish
    • Berries

What I consume RARELY:
    • All other fruit
    • Chicken or other poultry
    • Dark chocolate or cocao nibs
    • Macadamia nuts
    • Olive oil

What I DON'T consume:
    • All grains, legumes, added sugar, other nuts, and dairy (even butter)

The only liquids I drink down are water and a variety of teas (and the occasional glass of red wine, but none of that while my back is still healing).

Did I miss anything?
    Last edited by Funkadelic Flash; 03-14-2011 at 02:51 PM.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Dude, keep posting pictures like that and I'll be here every day.

Aww shoot... ya weren't supposed to see me. Crap.

Anyways, you completely justified my fear of tree stands and why I hunt with my feet firmly planted on the ground. Wow, what a thing to have happen. Glad to hear you're ok though, and obviously doing very well! Looking forward to see what you're doing. You posting pics of the foods too?

BecomeYourDream is offline Senior Member
    Dang! Good work. I wish I could break my back and look that fit! Keep keepin' on and good luck with rod removal!
    MY "GET AWESOMELY FIT AND HEALTHY" JOURNAL!

"Become Your Dream" - De La Vega

"ďThe fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights.Ē - Muhammad Ali

Evita is offline Senior Member
    I like how carbs are part of the F*ck your eating! I used to think I'd grow a muffin top over night due to scary journal stories regarding post carb eating experiences.

Thanks for sharing exactly what you do and eat.... thats what we all really want to know when we creep on you and check out your sweet new bod!-somehow if we do exactly what you do, we will look like you LOL

Sorry to hear about your accident/back! Must be Bambi karma or something like that. haha j/k.
    Looking forward to hearing more and believing for a swift recovery!

ZoŽ is offline Senior Member
    And now, of course, all these women are flocking to your journal. Being a funny and eloquent writer you lure them in. Then you shock and impress them with your near-death story of awesome superhero-ness survival. And then... you take your shirt off.
    I see how it is.

After these women see that you scarf brains and raw liver, they'll instantly fall in love. Right?
    Last edited by ZoŽ; 03-13-2011 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata
    Dude, keep posting pictures like that and I'll be here every day.
    Haha! I plan to post pictures every month or every-other month. We'll see what happens!

Aww shoot... ya weren't supposed to see me. Crap.
    I thought that was you hiding in the bushes, dressed in full camo...

Anyways, you completely justified my fear of tree stands and why I hunt with my feet firmly planted on the ground.
    AHA! So it was you!

Even after the incident I have no fear of trees. I fully plan to go back to hunting in stands (with increased emphasis on using a safety harness) and pursuing my lifelong passion of climbing trees.

You posting pics of the foods too?
    I'm considering it...most of my meals are built for taste and nutrition and not so much for show (i.e. a bunch of tasty goods all mixed together in a crazy-big hash), but I'll attempt to make a few pretty things at some point and share.

Quote Originally Posted by BecomeYourDream View Post
    Dang! Good work. I wish I could break my back and look that fit!!
    Proper nutrition, ftw? YUP!

Keep keepin' on and good luck with rod removal!
    Thanks much! I'll be keeping everyone updated on how it all goes down.

batty is offline Senior Member
    oh hai

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Quote Originally Posted by Evita View Post
    I like how carbs are part of the F*ck your eating! I used to think I'd grow a muffin top over night due to scary journal stories regarding post carb eating experiences.
    Haha, ditto! For the first month or so of my Primal journey I tried to go as little carbs as possible, as influenced by the likes of Tarlach. That...didn't work out so hot. I just ended up binging like crazy on ice cream, sugar, candy, sugar, cake, sugar, and more sugar (did I mention sugar?) every week like clockwork. Now, with a more moderate carb intake, I have no problems sticking to the plan with zero slip-ups.

-somehow if we do exactly what you do, we will look like you LOL
    Yeah, that's how it works...right? RIGHT?!

Must be Bambi karma or something like that.
    This is funnier than you might think...

AFTER falling out of the tree, sitting down, propped up against a tree, bow destroyed, a deer came out of the brush and walked to within seven or eight yards of me. He just stood there, staring at the broken and powerless Funkadelic. SURE, he looked calm and innocent, but I could tell that deep down he was laughing his white-tailed ass off. Jerk...

Looking forward to hearing more and believing for a swift recovery!
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Funkadelic Flash; 03-14-2011 at 09:43 AM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoŽ View Post
    And now, of course, all these women are flocking to your journal. Being a funny and eloquent writer you lure them in. Then you shock and impress them with your near-death story of awesome superhero-ness survival. And then... you take your shirt off.
    I see how it is.

After these women see that you scarf brains and raw liver, they'll instantly fall in love. Right?
    You've revealed my true intentions! I will NOT stand for this.

Now where's that "delete" button...

PS: Now the stalked becomes the stalker.

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast