Thread: Primal Indian Dessert - Almond-Date Kheer/Pudding page

maba is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

I made this dessert last night with no added sugar. I'm not sure if it can be considered Primal, but it tasted great and can make for semi-Primal dessert when entertaining non-Primal friends.

Ingredients:

4 C raw/whole milk (substitute w/ coconut milk if you don't do dairy)

30 almonds

4 Mejdool dates pitted

Cardamom - 4

Saffron - a pinch

Garnish:

10 cashew nuts - broken into halves

raisins - 1 T (I used dried currants)

Ghee/Butter/ Coconut Oil - 2 T

Soak Almonds overnight in water and peel them the following day. Or just put them in a small bowl of water and nuke for a minute, after which you can just pop them out of their skin.

Heat milk in a heavy bottom saucepan at low to medium heat. While the milk is simmering, blend the almonds and dates in a blender with some milk (or CM) till they turn into a paste. Once the milk has thickened a little (about 20 minutes), add the blended paste and stir till no lumps remain. Remove the seeds of the cardamom from their pods and powder using a pestle and mortar and add it to the milk. Take a pinch of saffron and gently crush with your fingers and add to the milk. Cook on low heat for 10-15 minutes till the mixture thickens to a desired consistency. In a separate pan, heat some ghee (or CO if you're making the pudding w/ CM) and sautee cashew nuts and raisins till the nuts turn golden and the raisins plump up. Add this to the pudding and remove from heat. Serve either hot or chilled. Makes about 4-6 servings.

Note:

1. The serving size on the dates container said 2-3 dates have about 28g of sugars and total CHO of 35g.

2. Use ghee or butter for the garnish if you make this with milk. Use CO only when making it with CM.

3. Use fresh cardamom if available. Store-bought powdered cardamom usually lacks flavor. If you don't have cardamom on hand, use powdered cinnamon or powdered allspice for a slightly different, yet delicious, taste.

4. If using some other variety of dates, increase the number of dates used. Mejdools are bigger and sweeter than many other varieties.

4. This recipe seems time-consuming but it isn't since it doesn't need much attention and can be made parallely while you're doing something else in the kitchen. Just make sure the milk cooks on low to medium heat so as not to burn it.

I know many of you wouldn't consider this Primal at all, but just wanted to share it in case you want to make it for non-Primal family and friends.

nina_70 Guest

Oh yum, yum...I used to be totally addicted to Indian deserts when we lived in Asia (there was a stall that used to make the stuff fresh everyday right next to the bldg I lived in....oh, memories, memories). I love the idea of a more primal version. I gotta try this!

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Sounds delicious!!! Although they are not the same it reminds me of this:

http://fxcuisine.com/Default.asp?language=2&Display=221&resolution=high

I have wanted to make it FOREVER and now I probably will.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!