Thread: substitutions for deadlifts & barbell rows? page

Ricky H. is offline Junior Member

substitutions for deadlifts & barbell rows?

Primal Fuel
    Can anyone give me some substitutions for deadlifts & BB rows?

Bostonbully is offline Senior Member
    Drop the BB rows if you have too and you can deadlift anything. Dumbbells, a sand bag, etc. Don't drop deadlifts. They are as functional and primal as it gets.
    "Live Free or Die"

CKATTO71 is offline Senior Member
    I use dumbells for now. As I progress, I'll branch out to more creative things to lift.

lorez is offline Junior Member
    if you really need an alternative then you can look at the clean and press or other variations of the deadlift like single leg deadlifts. I think the deadlift though is one of the best weight exercises you can do as it exercises so many parts of your body.

workinhard is offline Senior Member
    DONT sub deads... they are necessary.

that is all

NeoBerserker is offline Senior Member
    I tried very hard to use bb rows effectively a while ago. I ended up dropping them and i am so happy i did. I feel they have done nothing good for me. I think dumbell rows are better, but i say fudge those too. However i know they work for some people, but most people they don't work for. Pull ups are far superior. NEVER REMOVE DEADLIFTS. One reason; my doctors tried to tell me to never do those as it will injure my back further, well it turned out that deadlifts were literally the cure for my back ailments. Plus they are one of the most functional moves ever. You cannot substitute deadlifts, nothing will mimic the movement as effectively.

nachobrawler is offline Senior Member
    Well, that depends. Why are you substituting? Is it a form thing (i.e..dead lifts can be dangerous and possibly harmful until you get your form down pat)?
    Or are you just tired of doing the same exercises and want to change it up to have some alternatives? If its the latter, then replacing them gives you another problem. Deads with proper form work legs and back (primarily). So, to replace it you are moving from a compound exercise that involves multiple muscle groups to breaking down to several more isolated movements which focus more strictly on one muscle group each. So, you will have to replace it with several exercises to be consistent and to properly work the muscles.And the disadvantage to doing that....is the compound exercises are natural movements, generate more intensity, involve more muscle groups and use more energy on average.Thus, they work the "body" better than isolating a muscle group. So, they are better for building bigger muscles. You get "all over" strong as opposed to only one working muscle group. So, injury and/or pain aside, I wouldn't recommend getting rid of deads unless you are so well developed that you don't need any more size or muscle mass. Its a great compound exercise for building strength and size. Plus, what is more Grok-ish than heaving a bunch of weight up off the ground with your body??RrrruuuuaaaHH!!!

However, if for some reason I couldn't do deads any more then I would replace them with some of the following exercises:

For Back: Dumbbell Rows (Heavy), Pullovers, Wide Grip Pull Ups, Seated row and Cable (or band) pull downs
    For Legs: Squats (Front and/or Back) with a barbell, Dumbbell Lunges,Stiff Legged Dead Lifts (with dumbbells),Calf Raises with weight
    If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
    James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

Thor Falk is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    As you can see from the replies it might make sense if you'd explain why you want to sub, especially the deadlift