Thread: Cold after workout page

Lynna is offline Senior Member

Cold after workout

Shop Now
    I get really cold after I workout. Not immediately because I'm warm from the exertion, but maybe a half hour to an hour afterwards. I end up having to take a hot shower or bundle up with blankets and drink something hot. It even happens to me in warm weather, but not as extreme, especially if I go sit in the sun for awhile. After my hot shower or hot drink I'm fine. Anyone else get cold like this?

denise is offline Senior Member
    yep - within minutes of stopping my temperature plummets. By the end of stretching my fingers and toes can be turning blue. I always joke I have a dodgy thermostat! Hot shower and hot drink helps, but sometimes I have to sit with a hot water bottle at home if I get "internally cold".

Always been like this, think its just how I'm built??

gordo is offline Senior Member
    I get cold when I don't eat enough calories. It happens whenever I'm not actively moving, not just PWO. If you're working out fasted, you might want to slam a smoothie right after. Tell your brain the good news, food is on the way. It's also a great time to eat your fruit, as the sugar gets converted directly to liver glycogen without any insulin release.

Gordo

Quote Originally Posted by gordo View Post
    I get cold when I don't eat enough calories. It happens whenever I'm not actively moving, not just PWO. If you're working out fasted, you might want to slam a smoothie right after. Tell your brain the good news, food is on the way. It's also a great time to eat your fruit, as the sugar gets converted directly to liver glycogen without any insulin release.

Gordo
    interesting! I do workout fasted and it can be 17 hours since my last food when I finish working out - so thats a good idea!! Maybe the time to scoff a lovely banana/orange?

Mind you I can get cold any time - even when I eat a lot!! And I'm NOT really slim either

Thor Falk is offline Senior Member
    Just a though from a non-expert: Are you - or have you been - pretty overweight? In this case leptin-resistance might apply - see ref's here Why you need to measure food if you are fat | Thor Falk (dont worry about the title - different spin). I think it could also be related to thyroid. and of course, it could be something completely different.... :-(

Don't know if you meant me but I have been over 100lbs heavier than I am now. I will look at the link, thanks. (I am finally being treated for thyroid after years of having symptoms but "normal range" test results - but after 3 months i see no change at all.)

Digby is offline Senior Member
    I always come in from exercise very warm, but soon get chilly. I always thought it was just relative to getting warmer than normal with exercise, then quickly cooling down. After a while I get comfortable again.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Thor Falk is offline Senior Member
    General comment on being cold after workout. Have you read kharrazians book?

bokbadok is offline Senior Member
    Adrenal problems (fatigue) can cause this. Reference
    42 yo female; 5'8"
    Oct 2009: 205 lbs
    Dec 2010: 167 lbs
    Current weight: 158 lbs (first time under 160 in 17 years!!!)
    Goal weight: 145 lbs