Thread: Sprinting paranoia? And paranoia in general when exercising page

JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member

Sprinting paranoia? And paranoia in general when exercising

Primal Fuel
    I started doing Tabatas at the weekend every Sunday for the past couple of months. Now I'm at home and I'm thinking to myself I deserve a break, and it's kind of poor weather outside so I'm deciding to stick inside and rest.

Still... there is a huge part of me that is unrest... I feel like an obligation right now to go do my 3/4 minutes of pain (six or seven 20 seconds sprints followed each by a short 10 second break, this is a Tabata).

I'm doing my best to rationalize this, I just feel kind of weird and anxious, like I have to do this.

The same goes, although to a lesser scale, when I give myself a break from any training program I might be doing, either bodyweight or weight training. For every 8-10 weeks of training I usually rest 2 or so weeks before starting a new routine. I'm kind of used to that, but when it comes to sprinting, I'm just thinking about this right now, and how ridiculously unrest I am by not doing them today.

It's not like I'll shed an extra 1% body fat or be unhealthy if I don't do them now.

Conner P. is offline Senior Member
    But you'll miss out on that awesome feeling of a full body load, which may make itt a bit harder to go to sleep tonight. And you may regret it tomorrow

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    If you feel like training again then go for it. We are all different and require different amounts of training/rest. My rule of thumb is usually to:

1. Train hard.
    2. Monitor progress.
    3. Rest when I feel like it.

If you were really overtraining then you would not feel like another session. Where this becomes a problem is if you start to reduce the intensity of your sessions in order to add more volume.

JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member
    I think it's more of a mental issue here with me.

Kyle C. is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Maybe the mental issue is that you just don't like the extreme discomfort of hard anaerobic conditioning. I think everyone gets that feeling, and the best way to get over it is a quote I heard from Chris Spealler: "just go there." The more you put yourself into that zone, the more comfortable you become.

I had anxiety about stuff like this when I first started doing it, and even now it creeps up from time to time because honestly, it sucks while you're in that space. But I forced myself to push on because the feeling I have the rest of the day, and the satisfaction I get from my fitness level, is worth the discomfort.

Sometimes, if the anxiety is really bad, it may be best just to skip it. But work on mentally preparing yourself for your workouts beforehand. Visualization, maybe even listening to a song or watching a youtube video that gets you amped up (I like Ross Enamait's highlight reels). Soon you won't have to rely on these techniques.

And if you can make everything about your tabata sprints a routine, it'll be easier to follow. For example, wake up at the same time every morning you do them, follow the same routine before you get out there, do the same kind of warm-up (or none if that's better), and make yourself start at a certain time. You don't have to follow this model but find your own consistent variation of it. The more it feels like a routine, the easier it'll be to dive into it.

Good luck. I started my tabata sprints the same way as you (about 4 mins worth), and my following a set routine and adding 1 minute as often as possible, I eventually worked up to 13 mins before I switched training gears. It's just a matter of finding the consistency.

To sum up that lengthy ramble: to combat anxiety over hard conditioning, just go there.

"If you add a little to a little, and then do it again, soon that little shall be much."
    --Hesiod