Thread: Another Newbie Here page

belinda is offline Senior Member

Another Newbie Here

Shop Now
    I'm a 48 year old female, perimenopausal, 5'4" tall and in January weighed a whopping 186.8 lbs.

In January we started a biggest loser contest at work and I was going low-fat, lots of whole wheat, yadda-yadda. By the beginning of March I was down 8-9 lbs but had plateau'd and I wasn't feeling that great - taking 4 or so antacids every day, stiff joints, etc.

Then, a week or so ago, I discovered MDA. Talk about a light-bulb moment. I've pretty much gone cold-turkey into the no-grains, no legumes and I'm amazed at how easy its been. I lost between 3-4 lbs last week and I haven't had an antacid since, except for the evening when I had a square of dark chocolate as a snack. Apparently dark chocolate is a trigger for me.

I do two 20-30 min. low aerobic exercise sessions a day (walking with arm weights and recumbent biking) and am working in a few core and flexibility exercises. I'm hoping to lose enough weight (maybe another 10 lbs) over the next month or two so that I will be more comfortable riding my bike to work (6 km each way) once the spring weather gets here.

My goal is to be down to 145 lbs by September and then I'll see if I think I need (or can) get down a little further.

Hopefully, I'll see more success and that will inspire DH to get on the bandwagon as he could stand to lose 50 lbs or so. While we're not diabetic, we both have diabetes in our family and we're older parents to a young child so we want to be around as long as we can to see her nicely established in her life before we move on!

I love reading the daily posts, the success stories, and exploring the recipe threads! Our fridge is full and I've told DH that the fridge is now 'my pantry'.

Sorry this is so long. I know I'm preaching to the converted! I've been telling people at work about this too. Maybe they think I'm nuts, maybe not

tapper47 is offline Senior Member
    Wow, you're doing great.

Get the e-book on Primal Fitness. It's free.

Go here:

Primal Blueprint Fitness | Mark's Daily Apple

You don't have to work out every day. It's all about primal movement.

tessdyer is offline Junior Member
    Isn't the light bulb moment a wonderful feeling, to realize you've finally 'got it'? Congratulations and keep up the momentum!

Sometimes when making such a drastic shift there is a bout of fatigue and grogginess, etc. I just want to warn you so you don't wonder what's up if it hits. Because it surely passes and you're back on to feeling great.

I've had one day where I woke up with a headache, and can walk or bike for 20 min with no problems, but don't ask me to do stairs! I'm thinking that perhaps I'm low iron because I've been having lengthy periods with this perimenopause. Hoping to hear back from my doctor on the blood tests I had a couple of weeks ago. Red meat can't hurt, right?

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Wow, good for you! Keep going. I lost 1/3 of my body weight in less than a year on low/no carb, after 10+ years of nothing working at all. I was 47, and had to see a hormone doctor as well, so it was a combination of primal-style eating (which the doctor insisted on) and meds/supplements.

It's a good feeling when you wake up and can't remember for the moment if the weight loss is even real, then you check and it's really gone.... It happened so fast this happened to me a few times.

Congrats on your awesome weight loss! I'm hoping to drop 25%.