Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Post Workout Ammonia Smell?? page

GUN5LING3R is offline Senior Member

Post Workout Ammonia Smell??

Shop Now
    Anyone else experience an ammonia smell after a workout? What is up with that?? Thanks.

come on people, you are starting to make me worry, lol! After a fasted 20 minute HIGH INTENSITY circuit workout this morning I noticed a strong ammonia type smell while i was taking a shower. NOBODY here has experienced this before or even heard of it? I guess I will have to Google, =((

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Initial response would be to look at your dietary intake and hydration levels - what are these like?

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    Initial response would be to look at your dietary intake and hydration levels - what are these like?
    I dont count calories but i have been strictly primal, lots of chicken, fish, meat, avocados, butter, asparagus, brussel sprouts, brocolli, coconut milk, eggs. I sweat ALOT, so I am constantly hydrating and drinking alot of water. This has happened to me a handful of times in the past couple of weeks and always after a very intense but short (20 minutes) circuit workout. I feel fine when this happens it is just weird. My body is sweating ammonia????

Also, I have been primal for about 3 months but have always been in decent shape. Since going primal i have lost 12 lbs of fat and love the way i look and feel. I am 6ft and 183lbs. ??

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    I remember reading a few years back about this - something to do with breaking down amino acids for energy. Apparently it can be quite common on low carb diets. You mention that you hydrate - how much are you talking? As an example, i'm 85 kg and I drink 4-5 litres most days. You might find that increasing your carb (unprocessed) intake slightly a couple of hours before exercise helps.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    I get it too sometimes. It basically means that your body is burning protein for energy in a process called gluconeogenesis. It could be either dietary protein or muscle tissue. Ammonia is just a chemical byproduct. You can avoid it by having some extra carbs before working out - sweet potatoes are awesome for that.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

denise is offline Senior Member
    yep - i get this!!! Like cat pee!!! VILE. Even my loving husband used to keep his distance after I came back from a long run!!

I had no idea it was me breaking down protein - that sounds BAD???? I do eat a lot of protein and fat and not much carbs at the moment - but on CW (in fact even more on CW now i think about it, not noticed it SO much recently) this would happen!! Maybe its my preferred fuel or something??

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    yes, it can be part of being in ketosis.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    if you are eating enough protien to build muscle and you need more calories for energy, the body will break down protein -- either in your muscle or from your food.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast